Used 2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

Nothing but problems
By Kristen Schroeder

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2012 Countryman because I loved my Cooper S but needed a little more space. In just 24,000 miles I've had the radio replaced, the computer replaced, the gauges fixed, the water pump replaced, a coolant leak fixed, and a wheel bearing replaced. Now the front wheel makes a spring noise every so often and it scrapes but then stops. Mini says there's nothing wrong but will offer me a fraction of the purchase price to put me into a new POS Mini. For now it's in storage because it's too delicate to actually drive.

Favorite Features

nothing

Suggested Improvements

It's a lemon so improving everything is in order.

Mini Cooper Owner's Nightmare
By b_chaud_rodz

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought the 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman when it came out. I had a Mini Cooper Coupe in 2008, excellent little car, but too small. The first problem, my 2008 gave me 500 miles to a full tank, this one 380 miles. I asked the dealer, he said to drive it for more than 10,000 so the engine can open up and this would change. Not. The second problem, every bump on the road could be felt. I bought more expensive tires, no improvement. Third, it stalls when you initial a drive after a full stop. I use the "Sports" button, this works, but its stays revved, scary to stop. Fourth, windows gets extremely foggy when heat is on. I am returning this car, even if it kills my credit, not my pocket.

Favorite Features

Safety-wise in their brake system, WOW! An excellent feature in this vehicle. I drove this car in a snow storm and I had to stop on the highway. I was certain this car would spin, but this car did not even swerve. Very safe.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all of the problems and stop ignoring as if these problems do not exist.

2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4
By collin_cooper

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love the car---i bought used as the new price for Mini with options is outrageously high---so I waited and got a used one with everything I wanted for about half the original sticker price. things to know about Mini--the ride is sporty not smooth...bumps hurt sometimes:) The layout is meant to be quirky and not conform the norms of North American standards---if you dont like that then dont buy a Mini They are small cars---yes is a SUVesque vehicle but it is compact--our family of three does great in---but a trip to Costco means one back seat usaually needs to be folded down. Buy it if you love Mini--the brand, the personna ,etc.. if you are iffy do not buy it :)

Favorite Features

every bit of it

Suggested Improvements

centre console bar is a dumbass idea which canèt really be used and gets in the way most of the time

It's a good car the hatch back is way better.
By arthur_b

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own a Countryman S All 4 Automatic, its a nice car ok to drive. I'm comfortable with the layout of everything on the interior, I like ride the interior noise isn't bad. Adding 500 lbs to a vehicle it seems they would have upped the horse power a little bit. One of my biggest problems is not with the car but BMW. The free service cover brakes and wiper and oil changes. Dont ask the have your tires rotated or road hazard on the expensive run flat tires. So don't get a nail in your run flat because you canjust through that tire out and but a new one. The charge for fuel injector cleaning $250, the charge for wheel alignment $200, for the tire $300.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, I'm 6'1" and it very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Include road hazard on the tires, include tire rotation in the free service, and increase the power output on the motors of the Countryman to match the added weight.

Fun to drive but interior so so
By dipankarc

2012 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive (not sure why one of the reviewers didn't like it so much) - I think the boost of the turbocharger on the Cooper S is great. I drive a six speed and find changing gears smooth specially between 1 and 2 which to me is the true test of a manual. I used to drive an Accord with a manual and it was a pain to shift (if you can find one these days). I find it a pleasant change from drive a boat of an average mid size car however the looks of a Ford Fusion is tempting. Interior not so great. Bench seat is an option!!

Favorite Features

I have to say the best feature of the car is it's pickup. I have never driven another Mini in the past and can't compare to one - but I like the way the car moves from 2nd to 3rd to 4th. I was a bit surprised how roomy the car is. I also like the gas mileage it gives - time will tell how well it will hold up. I have mine outfitted with Neon lights and enjoyed playing around with all the different color and roof color options. I gave a '5' for performance I find the pickup of this car exhilarating. I wish Japanese and American cars returned to their roots - I remember seeing a Toyota Celica many years back and nowadays Toyota does not even offer a sports car!!

Suggested Improvements

Again given everything said interior leaves a little to be desired. Radio is a bit quirky and took me some time to figure out the speed sensitive wipers. Settings button is a pain and not sure why Mini couldn't do something better. I definitely recommend $250 USB port option if you don't sign up for the nav package. And speaking about options - everything is a option which could add up the $$ quickly. I wish BMW kept it simple and came out with different packages for options as it does for the different engine types - base, S and All 4. Interior design is '3' and leaves room for improvement.