Mini Countryman S
By cjrios on
2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I wish I would have never bought this car. I bought it in Jan and it has already been in the shop twice. They keep having to replace the thermostat caging. That is not the worse of it. The front cup holders have some plastic spikes to keep cups in place and if you use a styrofoam cup it punctures it causing the liquid to spill out and drain into the shifter cables. This in turn causes the shifter to get stuck. The dealer and Mini USA told I was responsible for this even thought they designed those cupholders. It cost me $900.00. Those of you that have this car will eventually encounter this problem. Get ready to pay!!!
Favorite Features
Nice look.
Suggested Improvements
They need to recall all of the cupholders because everyone who owns these will eventually have this issue. We tried talking MINI USA to make them aware of this issue but they said there is nothing wrong with them. Basically there are cup holders that cannot hold cups or it will cost you thousands!!!
By emerald79
on 10/12/11 06:47 AM (PDT)

Wow, the exact same thing is happening to me right now. I am having the cupholder problem with my 4 month old Mini Countryman right now (3,700 miles). They are charging me $1,240.00. I have contacted MINI USA several times and they say that there is nothing wrong with the cupholders and I am to blame for the damage it has caused. The service advisor stated that the car was "not drivable." How could it be that a minor spill in a cupholder would cause the vehicle to be dangeruos to drive? I love my MINI but this is not right. I do not know what to do.

By commuter11
on 05/07/11 08:51 AM (PDT)

Report the cupholder problem to the NHTSA, it sounds like a safety-related issue if it is causing shift malfunctions. And let MINI know that they have done so. You might get your $900 back. http://www.safercar.gov

By so_cali
on 07/01/12 15:04 PM (PDT)

MINI is clueless. The cupholders are placed in the wrong place to begin with, just under the toggle switches. The switches themselves are a joke. Put a skinny non styrofoam cup in the left holder and then try to use your window control. Did I mention that when you are standing outside the car and want to reach in and unlock the back doors that the switch for this is down there too, in the middle of the dash instead on on the door. MINI is clueless. They care more about cute ads and dog accessories than designing their interiors properly. And of course they are taking no responsibility for anything - it's the German way.

By roadburner
on 07/04/12 11:22 AM (PDT)

You're fortunate; my thermostat "caging" keeps trapping mice and chipmunks! What a disappointment.