Used 2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S ALL4 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

Pay for Fun
By slfisher70

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drive ALOT. The car is fun to drive when there aren't any mechanical issues. Owned by BMW, but shows NON of the standard quality elements seen in BMI engineering. Fun to drive, but EXPENSIVE and CONSTANT maintence. Computer is quirky. If the car goes into "limp mode". The Transmission is sealed and can only be maintained by the "dealer" which ask for leg and arm to service. Chronic alignment issues on the "rear"? Computer updates that some how get "missed" during service but are found after warranty has expired.No spare tire which is fun to find out when you have a FLAT. $35K for a car no spare tire?? They make this car almost impossible to service yourself. Better cars for the price

Favorite Features

The fold down rear seats Plus. Spunky and quick handling. Fold in mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Computer module that runs the car. If your gas cap is loose or the seal is bad it flashes and causes "system leak". Transmission is very tempermental. in winter have to allow car to warm up and is slow to shift gears. SPARE TIRE!

ALL4 What?
By jbmini

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love our Mini...when it's running! We bought it in June and it's been in the shop 3 times. Two weeks after our purchase, the trim peeled off below the windows. It took 3 weeks to arrive from Europe. Trim peeled off again 2 months later, trim on backorder. Our second issue was an engine light at 10K miles. The thermostat was out, re-placed. Third issue, at 14K miles, the car would not start. Had it towed to dealer. "DME error?" The car is still in the shop day 8. Said the "main communication circuit board" is bad, they think? Took 5 days to arrive from Europe. Still not sure if a new circuit board has fixed it, more to follow. Will hopefully get warranty extended. I love it when I have it.

Favorite Features

ALL WD-Performed great on the snowy roads. Took it off road, deer hunting...very roomy. Lots of giddie-up-n-go, I love it.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should be authorized to service Mini's. Get rid of the cheap trim tape, before the summer, which is when the tape is negatively impacted.

All4Fun
By all4fun

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My All4 Countryman is my fourth SUV if you really can call it that. It's really a 4-door Mini that has all wheel drive. This isn't your father's SUV, and it isn't really suitable for "off-road" vaunts of a SUV. What the Countryman is is a 4-door sports car - a rally car really - with all wheel drive. And, the all wheel drive only kicks in when it is needed, it isn't full time 4 wheel drive and it cannot be manually controlled by the driver. This car will likely not appeal to those looking for a classic SUV. But those of you who want a smaller, sportier vehicle that is built for the driver - and is an absolute BLAST to drive, this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

Mini's, the Countryman included, are built for the driver. The car's handling capabilities, power train, driving ergonomics are superb. Using the paddle shifters or putting the car in sports mode you get incredible handling characteristics. I've been driving SUVs for 30 years, and I haven't had this much fun in a car since I drove a Lancia Beta Coupe when I was in college. I'd suggest the Mini is closer to a VW GTI than an SUV. The difference is the Mini is higher off the ground and has all wheel drive. For a 4-door Mini sports car - the inside is actually quite roomy. My last car was a VW Touareg and my son says the rear of the Countryman is more comfortable than the Touareg.

Suggested Improvements

As awesome as the Countryman is, it could use some improvements; with them I would have rated the All4, All 5's. 1. Some of the exterior build quality, especially the bonnet seams over the fender wells should be tighter. 2. Classic BMW "optioning" on the car makes some things that should be included in the car expensive optional accessories such auto-dimming rear view mirrors, homelink and power seats. Loaded All4's are in the $35to$40K range, a lot considering the size of the car - but you aren't buying an SUV - make no mistake about it - this is a sports car. SUV comparisons are Acura RSX (with more included options) 3. The rail system is cute, but doesn't really work, cupholders suck.

Countryman all 4 Automatic
By vianos

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drove this car during the blizzard at 70 Mph and never felt so secure. The car is driving very well in all weather conditions and feels very stable at any speed

Favorite Features

The car rides high ,the power is there when you need it .

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holders have heavy springs so is difficult to push in the coffee cups . The car gets very dirty when you drive in the rain. I put mud flaps and it helps a bit ,but even with them the side and back of the car gets dirty . Also the sun visor are too small and too narrow They should be at least 1 inch wider and 1 inch longer. Mini dealers should have an option to exchange the center rail on the cars they have on the lot . The railing has no practical value.

Great all wheel drive Mini!
By bearcat3

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We recently bought a new Mini Cooper Countryman S All4. This car has been a dream to drive. It actually drives better than our two year old Acura MDX. I swapped out the stock run flat tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires as our prior Mini had run flat tires and the ride can be very harsh with run flats. The Michelins make the ride much more comfortable and the ride is much quieter on the road. We got the car loaded with almost every feature. Mini Connected is a fun option and we hook an Iphone 4 up to it so we can get Facebook updates, Twitter updates and we also use Pandora to stream through the system. There are many other options that would take a lot of time to cover.

Favorite Features

Room! This is one roomy Mini! Four adults can fit comfortably in this car. The boot is a little tight if you are trying to carry a lot of stuff in the back but it can be manageable. Some may opt for the roof mounted rack/carrier to store extra things for long trips. This car is a great compromise between the traditional Mini Cooper "go kart" driving and the comfort of a larger car. No it will not handle like a Mini Cooper S (it's not supposed too) but it will put a smile on your face and will be one of the most fun to drive cars you will ever find.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was a little cheaper. Would be nice to have power seats and tailgate.