Used 2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mini Cooper-countryman - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

Fun if you like to pay for a toy
By dshafie

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an expensive car which should not categorized as a SUV. From a practicality POV don't even bother with this car, it's not practical. The mirror controls and placement of window, Sport Mode, ESP, and door lock buttons are idiotic at best. If you try to operate these toggle switches you better pull over as you will have to take your eyes completely off the road in order to operate them. No matter how you train yourself you can never access them while looking at the road. As far as noise goes, well its just slightly better than driving a convertible. As far as getting jarred over the smallest bump its like driving a old Jeep CJ7. Reliability is a joke. This is a TOY!!

Favorite Features

Handling on newly paved asphalt road. Great steering when driving on a race track.

Suggested Improvements

Where to start. They fixed the placement of the mirror and windows buttons in the newer generations. Kudos for that improvement. Next they need to improve the reliability. There is a reason its number One on Consumer Reports top ten worst cars of 2011. BMW please get rid of the RFTs; they are horrible, noisy, costly and I do not buy the marketing hype that they are safer. The use of RFTs was a business decision; w/o RFTs BMW would have to pay someone to come out and put on your spare as a part of Road Side Assistance. Now you have to drive to a BMW dealer and pay twice as much for a tire. Most tire outlets do not stock these RFTs.

Fun Car!
By weeone2

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Countryman in Sept and have been very pleased with it's performance. I have some extras on it which I didn't intend to get when I first started looking but I'm happy with my decision! The moon roof, heated seats, and premium sound system are well worth the extra cost for the enjoyment that they deliver. The interior is well designed and spacious for the size. I find it to be the most fun to drive! I hope for continued reliability and joy driving this car as I have been a Toyota/Honda owner prior to this car purchase.

Favorite Features

Interior/Exterior Styling Excellent Ventilation System Comfortable Seating Moon roof Premium sound systme

Suggested Improvements

None!

Thoughts after 6 months of ownership
By uscdentist

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It started out well as it is a fun car to drive. The legroom for someone over 6 feet is great. The sport mode gives a you a great exhaust note. The 6 speed Getrag transmission is the highlight of the car. The gas mileage as advertised I have not been able to achieve partly because of the way I drive the car. Best achieved MPG was 25. Not bad, not great either. Major complaint is that as good as the steering is, heaven forbid if you hit rut. Once that happens, the car skips and hops which is somewhat disconcerting. Never have lost control, however, some Southern California roads will have an abundance of defects in the roadway which makes you lose confidence in the handling of the car.

Favorite Features

The drivers seats. The manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

The handling on rough road surface takes control of the car. For that reason alone, after six months, it is time to get rid of the Mini.

ALL4 What?
By jbmini

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love our Mini...when it's running! We bought it in June and it's been in the shop 3 times. Two weeks after our purchase, the trim peeled off below the windows. It took 3 weeks to arrive from Europe. Trim peeled off again 2 months later, trim on backorder. Our second issue was an engine light at 10K miles. The thermostat was out, re-placed. Third issue, at 14K miles, the car would not start. Had it towed to dealer. "DME error?" The car is still in the shop day 8. Said the "main communication circuit board" is bad, they think? Took 5 days to arrive from Europe. Still not sure if a new circuit board has fixed it, more to follow. Will hopefully get warranty extended. I love it when I have it.

Favorite Features

ALL WD-Performed great on the snowy roads. Took it off road, deer hunting...very roomy. Lots of giddie-up-n-go, I love it.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should be authorized to service Mini's. Get rid of the cheap trim tape, before the summer, which is when the tape is negatively impacted.

Fustrated with my Mini
By miniweenie

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my mini since February and even before I made my first payment in April the fuel pump went out. I had ran out of gas with a quarter tank left in the tank. Had to wait a month since the part was not avaiable and they had to get it from Europe. They finally got it fixed and the car was working great till I ran out of gas again! They replaced the fuel pump again and also the water pump. They say that they are working out the kinks on this new model but give me a break. Shouldn't they do that before they start selling to the consumers? Can't wait to get rid of it