2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:
Base model is the best performing MC
By Runner57 on 06/19/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

What are you waiting for? If you want to have fun and most of the standard features plus unbeleivable fuel economy (400 - 500 miles per tank ~ 13 gallons) this is the car to get. I call this is a hybrid (fun & fuel economy). I got the basic model - yet it has pleasing features all around. It has leatherette seat, more than necessary electronic controls, cool audio (the base stereo is better than my other three cars), quiet engine, engaging transmission, and lots of complements from every one. The car gets impressive miles in the summer (37 in the city & 42+ in the highway) with aggressive driving. This car invites you with electronics, also turns on necessary lights in the dark as you exit.

Even with 2 kids
By John on 04/23/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The Clubman has given us a practical reasons to have a fun car. My wife has been wanting a MINI for years. With two kids, that wasn't happening...until the Clubman came. We have a 4 year old and a 5 month old. Car seats and entry and exit are no problem on the passenger side, thanks to the third door. Behind the driver's seat is a little tight, but basically a non-issue. After driving it for the last few months, I kind of wish we got the S. But the straight 4 cyl does well in almost all our driving conditions, except when I want to really push it up a hill from a stop.

How much is fun worth to you?
By antennariidae on 04/21/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

After looking at this car, the Jetta Sportwagen and the Mazda 3, I ended up getting the MINI. I got only the Premium package and the cold weather package. Added 16" wheels (15"="clown car") when the dealer gave me a deal on a set they had in the warehouse. In short, the car is fun to drive. Handling and braking are outstanding and the base model has enough power for most situations. Once you commit yourself to revving it higher and downshifting when required, the power is adequate. It's been reliable through the first 4,000 miles and have averaged 32mpg in traffic. Other cars are more practical but MINI is selling fun as much as they are selling cars and in this area it delivers.

Clearly not a Toyota
By dima on 04/02/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Minis are viewed as city cars, however except for the looks, it's a poor city runabout: just try opening those huge heavy doors in a tight parking space! Steering is heavy. Pedals are heavy. Handbrake is heavy. Gearstick is tight. Worst, the engine is so coarse - my wife initially thought it was a diesel! And too slow for Boston traffic flow. Moving it through stop-start traffic is a pain. Turning circle feels surprisingly large too. However it all changes once you get above 30mph. It's an absolute joy on the highway, and through the turns it feels like it can take any curve at any speed. At 2,000 miles, been to the repair shop 3 times already. The dealer's very nice though.

I never thought I'd drive a MINI
By SCBlueDevil on 01/09/09 13:39 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After driving an Infiniti FX-45 for 4 years, when gas hit $4 I got tired of 13 MPG. I wanted something sporty, unique, and borderline practical. A regular Mini was too small, but the Clubman was love at first sight. I'm 6'4" and it's as comfortable as most full sized cars. It is a blast to drive, a definite show stopper in parking lots, and is averaging 26/35 MPG. I just wish someone had warned me that Minis are like Harleys - the initial purchase is just the start, then you become obsessed with everything Mini! Oh well, everybody needs a few vices in life.

Read this
By Satisfied on 12/11/08 19:06 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Let's see, handles like a Porsche 911, gets 34 mpg average, seats 4 adults in relative comfort, and has mood lighting! What's not to love!

A total winner
By GLEN & PRISCILLA on 12/11/08 12:34 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This car is absolutely beautiful. We owned a 2004 Mini and never had any problems. We purchased the 2009 Clubman base model and personalized it. The upgraded stereo is worth the money, the heated seats are an absolute joy. The car has a "Sport Mode" that is a lot of fun to use. It's nice to have the extra room in the back and the barn doors are just great. We can actually bring our adult children with us now in the rear seat. Mileage is about 28 M.P.G.

Worth the Wait
By Alan C on 10/30/08 19:59 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife and I had been shopping for a small economical car with some pizzazz for a couple of weeks. We had ruled out the Mini Cooper because of the backseat and lack of traditional storage. We had been looking at Japanese cars, none of which fit her requirements, when we heard of the new MINI Clubman. She did an Edmund's comparison online and was intrigued, so we headed out to the dealer where she fell in love with the S model. We diligently made our choices online and ordered her baby. Just picked it up after 2 1/2 months waiting, it was worth it to her. She hasn't stop smiling.

Great Little Car
By Chris M on 10/13/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Always wanted a Mini but felt the back seat was unusable. Clubman is the perfect solution. Just as economical and fun to drive but with room for four. Have to fight my wife for who gets to drive it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.