Used 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Love my new Clubbie!
By Wayne J

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Ride is much better than I had heard. Plenty of room for my 6'1" frame. I got one of the last 2009's off the lot because of the great end-of-year financing. I'd love to custom build my next MINI, though - the options seem endless. Originally wanted an S hardtop with 6-speed manual, but I'm glad I got the Clubman with automatic. I drive around with the sport mode on most of the time. I'm 61 years old, and don't remember enjoying driving this much since I was 16.

handling, surprisingly compliant ride, build quality, feeling of a premium brand for less than 30k, I actually like the quirky controls - it makes the MINI more endearing, barn door boot, smiles I get, engine growl reminds me of an English sports car, body style, fuel economy.

solid cover under the sun roof instead of mesh, adjustable lumbar support on base interior.

Better than I ever expected
By Love this car

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

People told me that it would be fun to drive but it exceeds all expectations. I love getting in the car every single day - driving has never been so much fun. Great handling, fast and gas mileage! I get (average between city & highway) 41 MPG (the online computer says I get 43 but I do the math and it's comes out to 41.2). We regularly use this as the family car because my kids love to ride in it - fit 4 people and 15 bags of groceries just fine.

Gas Mileage; handling; fun-factor; speed; did I mention it's really fun.

The sport seats are a little too narrow and the windshield wipers aren't the greatest.

A lot of fun and great drive
By Andy

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the second Mini I currently own. My wife took the first (a 2007 cooper base) after falling in love with it. We took the Clubman on a 2500 mile vacation trip (a bit hesitantly since there aren`t that many dealerships cross country) after purchase and it performed flawlessly. Loved driving every mile! The service at the dealership is awesome and their customer service is one reason why I purchased another mini. I gotta admit, I do like the clubman better than the mini...feels more stable. And the turbo is exceptional. When the Mini 4 wheel drive debuts in 2010, we`re gonna look at that. Overall, the mini is a great riding, handling vehicle. Love the shifting with the 6 speed.

The handling and power are great. I have the cloth seats in the Clubman which are very comfortable with me being 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs. No problem with driving the 2500 miles. Aside from the usual features, I really like the brake/clutch feature..not letting the car roll until clutch is up

The cargo carpet material is junk. Scratches very easily. Headliner material is junk too. If the car has water on it and the windows are down, it drips right inside on passengers.

New To Mini's
By Mini Me

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this Mini, I got it in Hot Choc color, and lounge leather lounge leather interior,with cream accents. So far I don't have any complaints, and don't expect I will either. The barn doors make loading a breeze. I have liked mini's for a while but they were just not practical until now, I love the extra space, and once the seats are folded down its surprising how much you can get in there!! The ride is alot smoother than the regular cooper. Does not quite corner as a regular cooper, but I'm not a race car driver either.

Handling,Panoramic Sunroof, Sport package, Steering feedback, mood lighting, heated seats, Paddle shifters.

None.

Quirkey type of fun
By Ashley

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car when gas was pushing $4.50 and quickly learned to forget about the gas crisis. I generally get 430 miles to a 13 gallon tank before I start looking to fill up. In slower traffic, stop and go, it can get a bit punchy. That being said, it is the most fun I have had driving a car. I haven't had any real problems with the size of the car, it fits anywhere and with the clubman's back doors, everything fits. The clubman S has a lot of power and when I'm not paying attention it surprises me still. I get quite a bit of attention in parking lots as people always are scrunching their eyebrows coming over to look at it. Learn to keep it clean b/c of all peeks in the windows.

The gas mileage, 3rd door and back loading doors are my favorite features. I'm not sure I would be able to do a regular Mini Cooper.

The window buttons are in the lower center console right behind the drink holder. When you drive thru and get a drink you have to remove it from the holder to roll up the window. Also, tune and volume switches are similar and get confusing.