Used 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Much better than advertised
By gopar1

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't believe the literature about how fun it is to drive this car - it is 10 times better than they say!! My Clubman S can get up and go without any problems. The ride is sporty and the quality is great. The gas mileage is fine - getting about 29 to 30 mpg's combined. If I could just go the speed limit I think the mileage would go up - however hard to do in this car. I will trade economy for fun any day. This is our first Mini and I will certainly buy another!

Performance, Handling, how it fits me when I am in the car, automatic lights and windshield wipers.

Solid shades for sunroof in lieu of the mesh.

Big Little Car
By Matt

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Fun Little car that fits my 6' 2" football player sized frame. Better leg room than a many bigger cars, with full winter gear on can be a little tight width wise. Handles great and with standard engine can easily do 80 and keep up or pass everyone. Gas prices are a non issue and can fit 3 people without much of an issue. Do however hate the low hight when I have big SUV's and their lights trying to intimidate me, but just run away from them with superior handling.

Handling

Make arm rest standard and never use center speedo have digital under steering wheel.

Still new, but what fun we're having.
By JR

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

"Pepper" is still new at about 5K so can't comment on what I consider the most important factor - reliability. So far so good, though. My wife talked me into buying the Clubman. I thought it was too expensive for what you get. And the options are too expensive and too numerous. However, the little beast has totally grown on me and made me a MINI convert. The S is fast enough for most enthusiasts and it handles like MINI says: Like a go-cart. It's small to be sure, but when you're inside it feels much bigger. Never thought I would say this, but I love this expensive toy car.

If you want performance, get the S and always drive in Sport mode. Fun! Handling is awesome. Built-in bluetooth is a great feature. The paddle shifters (automatic) improve the experience a lot.

Most interior controls look retro and pleasing to the eye, but functionality is poor (radio especially). $250 armrest option is a joke. As are other options that are just too expensive. Stock brake pads dirty the wheels fast.

it's not a car - it's a MINI
By ny mini

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our Mini Clubman S new about 6 months ago. My other choice was a new V6 Accord, but decided on the Mini just because I wanted a change and better handling. Overall, I love it. It's surprisingly roomy inside for a small car, We have a 4 yr old boy and it's perfect - thats why we opted for the clubman. The Mini has more noises than I can identify, but that becomes one of it's charm. The clubman is not a "pretty"car, but I think thats what I like about it. Only regrets are the "pleather" seats; they are too hot in the summer. The stereo is not that good either, but I find I am less interested in what I am listening to and more interested in the drive. Definitely Fun and different!

ride, handling, sport button, 3rd door, "boot" doors, dual sunroof, gas milage, manual trans, interior layout, ambient lighting, control layout, noises.

stereo system does not sound that great. The armrest should be standard.

Don't Buy the Hype
By Janice

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Hatchback 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

At the risk of revealing that the emporer has, well, not all his clothes, I'll say that my new Mini, an automatic, has scary hesitation when you floor it from zero. The automatic tire pressure sensor gives false alarms, so the local dealer wants me to pay to fill the tires with nitrogen. Don't put barefoot kids or anything delicate in the backseat floor because the runners that slide the seats are incredibly sharp, exposed metal. They punctured a 2L soda bottle recently. It got under the carpet, and the dealer wanted $900 to dry it out, claiming no fault because cargo belongs in the cargo area (duh? but sharp metal is ok for people?) My auto body guy did it for $300. Keep shopping!

Other people think it's a cool car.

You have to toggle the heated seats on and off because they get way too hot within three minutes, even on low. Tire pressure idiot lite is fooled by cold weather. Seat belts are always getting stuck behind the seat. Even a purse on the passenger seat sets off constant bells to buckle up.