Used 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

maintanence nighrmare
By unhappyminiown

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is great to drive nad provides a lot of interior space. The sales process was easy but the car was not thoroughly reviewed regarding the complicated alert system for maintanence. The dealership uses the car system to tell the owner that maintance is needed. There is no 5000 mile oil change schedule. The problem is that a yellow light comes on for one second at start and the owner has to go through a complicated push button hold 2 seconds, scroll to another screen, hold again ....... The engines probably love this feature but it is complicated. A big yellow light tells you that the temperature is 32 but you never get a similar warning for important things such as oil level low.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Peppy and sporty. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Warranty replacement issues are tight. Few certified mechanics so you may have to wait for your car to be serviced. Unusual warranty agreement between the dealership and mini usa. Delearship audited regularly and if the car has been service under warranty and the auditors diagree, the car delearship has to eat everything and the auditors begin to search more for warranty work to deny. This trickles down to you the customer. Every trick in the book will be used to refuse to cover parts under warranty. Air bag sensor bad in warranty..... water spilled on sensor. Doubt it due to its location under carpet under the shift. Turbos shot...missed an oil change $3000.....

Best car I've owned
By nko1a

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great little car. It's really quick, stops on a dime, and corners like it's on rails all while getting over 30mpg! It's a absolute blast to drive. I love that it's factory tuned to backfire... There's nothing like hearing a pop and having flames shoot out of the tailpipe while shifting! This car has a great exhaust note and lots of low end grunt for a low displacement engine. Not only is it fast, fun, and efficient, but it's also quite practical. It's a small car, don't get me wrong, but It's surprisingly spacious inside. With the back seats down it has great storage space. With the back seats up I can fit 2 adults semi-comfortably back there.

Favorite Features

You can't drive this car in sport mode without an ear-to-ear grin. I've tried... Impossible. I have almost 50,000 miles on this car and have had no major issues. Insurance considers this car a wagon instead of a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

The CD player always restarts the last played track, which is really annoying if you listen to single track DJ sets. The stereo layout stinks.

Love My Clubman
By Carolyn

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my Clubman. If price is not an issue, this is a great, fun car. I get so many comments...someone asked me if it was a MINI Limo. I have taken many road trips of up to 800 miles at a time. The seats could be a little softer, but they are not bad. They hold you in place. I get better gas mileage than posted...29 in town and up to 38 highway...depending on how heavy my foot gets. It's definitely an attention getter car. My battery had to be replace in less than 2 years...but fortunately still under warranty. Options are expensive as are the run flat tires. I am looking forward to buying the Countryman in a couple of years. Love the barn doors.

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Center console should be standard. Sunroof cover should be solid..not screen as summers in FL and GA are HOT! I have not found the microphone for the bluetooth, but I think it is down by the console and I get a lot of complaints about road noise, so I do not use it much.

Perfect City Car
By Mahvelous

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So far so good. After 4500 miles no issues and the car has surpassed expectations. This really is the perfect city car. Easy to park, good on gas, fun to drive, and can be made to accommodate your stuff or your friends. So far very pleased with purchase. Only shortfall is the brake feel. The JCW is more performance oriented version but the brake feel is too touchy for spirited driving. The brakes feel like they grab too much even with slight pedal pressure. Easy to upset balance of car. Stopping power is excellent with the 4 piston front brakes made by Brembo. Good car. Take the plunge you fence sitters.

Favorite Features

Fun factor in an everyday useable package.

Suggested Improvements

Brake feel is woeful.