2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:
Almost 4 years and still loving it!
By minnesotaeric on 07/23/12 17:04 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2009 base Clubman with the 6 speed, and wouldn't have it any other way. I did get an email from the dealer last week about the Evaporator plate. Now that we're in the dead of summer, I am noticing a little odor (thought it was my shoes), so they suggest the Evaporator needs to be cleaned out for $120. That's the first service item on the car, with 48,000 miles and nearly 4 years. On the highway, I still get 42 MPG. With the 6 speed, I am never without the power I need. I travel quite a bit and met 2 BMW engineers. Both said the 6 speed base Cooper w/ sport assist is a great car. I added the stabilizer bar as the only add on...and Xenon lights. Great value. Great Car. Fun!Fun!Fun!

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman Base Automatic
By Gerry Maldo on 04/14/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle is incredible fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg mostly city and not much traffic (really bad for a small vehicle) If you like manual transmission stick to it as on this car as the base model (NOT S TURBO) does not have the perk to get you moving. The car is a great eye catcher on the road. If I decide to get into another Mini it will the Turbo (S)model for sure. Cornering is a thrill like any other car on the road.

Shoulda bought the Honda
By Disappointed on 03/31/10 17:39 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought a 2009 Clubman because it was fun to drive, different, and got good gas mileage. We put the car on the road for a 2500- mile summer road trip; performance was great and mileage was *fantastic* (~41MPG on the highway), but we found that the passenger-side carpets were wet. We had to diagnose the problem via the MINI discussion boards on the internet, and traced it to a poorly installed gasket in the A/C system. Other problems included rear-door seals that didn't seal, an inaccurate speedometer, and shut-downs due to bad throttle assemblies. After ~5 repair trips in 12,000 miles, the dealer replaced the car, so we now own a 2010 - with a gas gauge that doesn't really work.

Big Little Car
By Matt on 12/29/09 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Fun Little car that fits my 6' 2" football player sized frame. Better leg room than a many bigger cars, with full winter gear on can be a little tight width wise. Handles great and with standard engine can easily do 80 and keep up or pass everyone. Gas prices are a non issue and can fit 3 people without much of an issue. Do however hate the low hight when I have big SUV's and their lights trying to intimidate me, but just run away from them with superior handling.

Don't Buy the Hype
By Janice on 10/13/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

At the risk of revealing that the emporer has, well, not all his clothes, I'll say that my new Mini, an automatic, has scary hesitation when you floor it from zero. The automatic tire pressure sensor gives false alarms, so the local dealer wants me to pay to fill the tires with nitrogen. Don't put barefoot kids or anything delicate in the backseat floor because the runners that slide the seats are incredibly sharp, exposed metal. They punctured a 2L soda bottle recently. It got under the carpet, and the dealer wanted $900 to dry it out, claiming no fault because cargo belongs in the cargo area (duh? but sharp metal is ok for people?) My auto body guy did it for $300. Keep shopping!

Better than I ever expected
By Love this car on 09/08/09 09:53 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

People told me that it would be fun to drive but it exceeds all expectations. I love getting in the car every single day - driving has never been so much fun. Great handling, fast and gas mileage! I get (average between city & highway) 41 MPG (the online computer says I get 43 but I do the math and it's comes out to 41.2). We regularly use this as the family car because my kids love to ride in it - fit 4 people and 15 bags of groceries just fine.

You Will Love It!
By geezer on 07/30/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Fantastic car, runs best on premium gas though, this is a fun hi- performance car for reasonable money , has a 3 year full maintenance package included, and the final and 4th year warranty covers all the major components.... look this car is fun, fun, fun! Great around town, sharp and powerful on the highway sips gas, feels very well built, has a 5 star crash rating, club door works well, reasonable rear seat room for adults, no really!! Looks sharp, has all the latest technology, good brakes, good visibility, nice feel to the controls. I highly recommend this stretched MINI cooper s clubman.

Base model is the best performing MC
By Runner57 on 06/19/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

What are you waiting for? If you want to have fun and most of the standard features plus unbeleivable fuel economy (400 - 500 miles per tank ~ 13 gallons) this is the car to get. I call this is a hybrid (fun & fuel economy). I got the basic model - yet it has pleasing features all around. It has leatherette seat, more than necessary electronic controls, cool audio (the base stereo is better than my other three cars), quiet engine, engaging transmission, and lots of complements from every one. The car gets impressive miles in the summer (37 in the city & 42+ in the highway) with aggressive driving. This car invites you with electronics, also turns on necessary lights in the dark as you exit.

Even with 2 kids
By John on 04/23/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The Clubman has given us a practical reasons to have a fun car. My wife has been wanting a MINI for years. With two kids, that wasn't happening...until the Clubman came. We have a 4 year old and a 5 month old. Car seats and entry and exit are no problem on the passenger side, thanks to the third door. Behind the driver's seat is a little tight, but basically a non-issue. After driving it for the last few months, I kind of wish we got the S. But the straight 4 cyl does well in almost all our driving conditions, except when I want to really push it up a hill from a stop.

How much is fun worth to you?
By antennariidae on 04/21/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

After looking at this car, the Jetta Sportwagen and the Mazda 3, I ended up getting the MINI. I got only the Premium package and the cold weather package. Added 16" wheels (15"="clown car") when the dealer gave me a deal on a set they had in the warehouse. In short, the car is fun to drive. Handling and braking are outstanding and the base model has enough power for most situations. Once you commit yourself to revving it higher and downshifting when required, the power is adequate. It's been reliable through the first 4,000 miles and have averaged 32mpg in traffic. Other cars are more practical but MINI is selling fun as much as they are selling cars and in this area it delivers.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.