Used 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mini Cooper-clubman - Consumer Reviews

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Almost 4 years and still loving it!
By minnesotaeric

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2009 base Clubman with the 6 speed, and wouldn't have it any other way. I did get an email from the dealer last week about the Evaporator plate. Now that we're in the dead of summer, I am noticing a little odor (thought it was my shoes), so they suggest the Evaporator needs to be cleaned out for $120. That's the first service item on the car, with 48,000 miles and nearly 4 years. On the highway, I still get 42 MPG. With the 6 speed, I am never without the power I need. I travel quite a bit and met 2 BMW engineers. Both said the 6 speed base Cooper w/ sport assist is a great car. I added the stabilizer bar as the only add on...and Xenon lights. Great value. Great Car. Fun!Fun!Fun!

Favorite Features

Drives like a go-kart and more room in the cockpit than I had in my old Explorer..even at 6'3". Big enough storage to hold my softball gear or golf clubs, and with the gas mileage and voice activated Bluetooth, I'm now teaching my daughter how to drive it...so she can have it in 2 years.

Suggested Improvements

None. Well designed. Well engineered.

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman Base Automatic
By Gerry Maldo

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle is incredible fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg mostly city and not much traffic (really bad for a small vehicle) If you like manual transmission stick to it as on this car as the base model (NOT S TURBO) does not have the perk to get you moving. The car is a great eye catcher on the road. If I decide to get into another Mini it will the Turbo (S)model for sure. Cornering is a thrill like any other car on the road.

Favorite Features

Road Grip, Dual Sunroof, Sound system, convenience package and great xenon lights

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof should come with actual shades not a mesh to avoid the heat (specially in heat of the summer) For the price, this vehicle should be offer only in the S Turbo edition

Shoulda bought the Honda
By Disappointed

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought a 2009 Clubman because it was fun to drive, different, and got good gas mileage. We put the car on the road for a 2500- mile summer road trip; performance was great and mileage was *fantastic* (~41MPG on the highway), but we found that the passenger-side carpets were wet. We had to diagnose the problem via the MINI discussion boards on the internet, and traced it to a poorly installed gasket in the A/C system. Other problems included rear-door seals that didn't seal, an inaccurate speedometer, and shut-downs due to bad throttle assemblies. After ~5 repair trips in 12,000 miles, the dealer replaced the car, so we now own a 2010 - with a gas gauge that doesn't really work.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive; sporty; unique; pretty useful size for a family of 3.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and engineering: in a $20,000 car, inaccurate gauges and poor assembly quality aren't acceptable. I've had fewer problems with my 1996 Ford Ranger pickup. Next time I'll buy the Honda.

Big Little Car
By Matt

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Fun Little car that fits my 6' 2" football player sized frame. Better leg room than a many bigger cars, with full winter gear on can be a little tight width wise. Handles great and with standard engine can easily do 80 and keep up or pass everyone. Gas prices are a non issue and can fit 3 people without much of an issue. Do however hate the low hight when I have big SUV's and their lights trying to intimidate me, but just run away from them with superior handling.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Make arm rest standard and never use center speedo have digital under steering wheel.

Don't Buy the Hype
By Janice

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

At the risk of revealing that the emporer has, well, not all his clothes, I'll say that my new Mini, an automatic, has scary hesitation when you floor it from zero. The automatic tire pressure sensor gives false alarms, so the local dealer wants me to pay to fill the tires with nitrogen. Don't put barefoot kids or anything delicate in the backseat floor because the runners that slide the seats are incredibly sharp, exposed metal. They punctured a 2L soda bottle recently. It got under the carpet, and the dealer wanted $900 to dry it out, claiming no fault because cargo belongs in the cargo area (duh? but sharp metal is ok for people?) My auto body guy did it for $300. Keep shopping!

Favorite Features

Other people think it's a cool car.

Suggested Improvements

You have to toggle the heated seats on and off because they get way too hot within three minutes, even on low. Tire pressure idiot lite is fooled by cold weather. Seat belts are always getting stuck behind the seat. Even a purse on the passenger seat sets off constant bells to buckle up.