2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:
maintanence nighrmare
By unhappyminiown on 10/17/12 17:38 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is great to drive nad provides a lot of interior space. The sales process was easy but the car was not thoroughly reviewed regarding the complicated alert system for maintanence. The dealership uses the car system to tell the owner that maintance is needed. There is no 5000 mile oil change schedule. The problem is that a yellow light comes on for one second at start and the owner has to go through a complicated push button hold 2 seconds, scroll to another screen, hold again ....... The engines probably love this feature but it is complicated. A big yellow light tells you that the temperature is 32 but you never get a similar warning for important things such as oil level low.

Almost 4 years and still loving it!
By minnesotaeric on 07/23/12 17:04 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2009 base Clubman with the 6 speed, and wouldn't have it any other way. I did get an email from the dealer last week about the Evaporator plate. Now that we're in the dead of summer, I am noticing a little odor (thought it was my shoes), so they suggest the Evaporator needs to be cleaned out for $120. That's the first service item on the car, with 48,000 miles and nearly 4 years. On the highway, I still get 42 MPG. With the 6 speed, I am never without the power I need. I travel quite a bit and met 2 BMW engineers. Both said the 6 speed base Cooper w/ sport assist is a great car. I added the stabilizer bar as the only add on...and Xenon lights. Great value. Great Car. Fun!Fun!Fun!

Best car I've owned
By nko1a on 02/10/12 09:55 AM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great little car. It's really quick, stops on a dime, and corners like it's on rails all while getting over 30mpg! It's a absolute blast to drive. I love that it's factory tuned to backfire... There's nothing like hearing a pop and having flames shoot out of the tailpipe while shifting! This car has a great exhaust note and lots of low end grunt for a low displacement engine. Not only is it fast, fun, and efficient, but it's also quite practical. It's a small car, don't get me wrong, but It's surprisingly spacious inside. With the back seats down it has great storage space. With the back seats up I can fit 2 adults semi-comfortably back there.

Love My Clubman
By Carolyn on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman John Cooper Works 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my Clubman. If price is not an issue, this is a great, fun car. I get so many comments...someone asked me if it was a MINI Limo. I have taken many road trips of up to 800 miles at a time. The seats could be a little softer, but they are not bad. They hold you in place. I get better gas mileage than posted...29 in town and up to 38 highway...depending on how heavy my foot gets. It's definitely an attention getter car. My battery had to be replace in less than 2 years...but fortunately still under warranty. Options are expensive as are the run flat tires. I am looking forward to buying the Countryman in a couple of years. Love the barn doors.

The Jury is Out
By Buffaloe on 07/31/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

While I am very pleased to date with my Clubby, the potential for issues associated with build quality, durability, maintenance intervals, etc make me wonder about the future. Given the Clubby is under warranty but when I learn that brake replacement can approach $1K or higher, that concerns me. IMO, the whole MINI culture/concept not only includes the original purchase price but also the ongoing highly expensive maintenance. I will watch these reviews closely as the 2008 Clubby lose warranty coverage.

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman Base Automatic
By Gerry Maldo on 04/14/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle is incredible fun to drive. I am averaging 26 mpg mostly city and not much traffic (really bad for a small vehicle) If you like manual transmission stick to it as on this car as the base model (NOT S TURBO) does not have the perk to get you moving. The car is a great eye catcher on the road. If I decide to get into another Mini it will the Turbo (S)model for sure. Cornering is a thrill like any other car on the road.

Fun and then some
By Gregg on 04/02/10 18:00 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the car for seven months and the only thing I can say fun fun fun. Great handling, the response is unbelievable. How so much car can be built into such a compact design is anybodys guess. There is nothing on the road that looks like it and it turns heads when you drive. Will be getting another one as soon as the lease to our second car is up. Definitely look at this one if your in the market.

Shoulda bought the Honda
By Disappointed on 03/31/10 17:39 PM (PDT)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

We bought a 2009 Clubman because it was fun to drive, different, and got good gas mileage. We put the car on the road for a 2500- mile summer road trip; performance was great and mileage was *fantastic* (~41MPG on the highway), but we found that the passenger-side carpets were wet. We had to diagnose the problem via the MINI discussion boards on the internet, and traced it to a poorly installed gasket in the A/C system. Other problems included rear-door seals that didn't seal, an inaccurate speedometer, and shut-downs due to bad throttle assemblies. After ~5 repair trips in 12,000 miles, the dealer replaced the car, so we now own a 2010 - with a gas gauge that doesn't really work.

Much better than advertised
By gopar1 on 02/27/10 21:06 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't believe the literature about how fun it is to drive this car - it is 10 times better than they say!! My Clubman S can get up and go without any problems. The ride is sporty and the quality is great. The gas mileage is fine - getting about 29 to 30 mpg's combined. If I could just go the speed limit I think the mileage would go up - however hard to do in this car. I will trade economy for fun any day. This is our first Mini and I will certainly buy another!

Big Little Car
By Matt on 12/29/09 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Fun Little car that fits my 6' 2" football player sized frame. Better leg room than a many bigger cars, with full winter gear on can be a little tight width wise. Handles great and with standard engine can easily do 80 and keep up or pass everyone. Gas prices are a non issue and can fit 3 people without much of an issue. Do however hate the low hight when I have big SUV's and their lights trying to intimidate me, but just run away from them with superior handling.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.