Used 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Weeeeeee!
By Brian

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a vehicle! This car is tight, quiet, and does whatever I ask of it and asks for more. Turns like it's on rails. My wife called me when driving it for the first time, and asked how to turn on the cruise control, because she was doing 90 MPH and didn't realize it. I'm outstandingly pleased with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Dynamic Stgability control is amazing. I've executed 90 degree right turns at 40mph wihtout touching the brakes in rainy conditions!

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have more RAM for the bluetooth sync with my phone. Too much info in the contacts, and the sync takes forever. Otherwise, punch it!

Autobahn Driving
By Dave

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a reliable comuter car and looked at the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and the Clubman. Of the 3 the Mini offered the Get-Up-&-Go I was looking for with the "S" model. I test drove both models on the AutoBahn here in Germany. What really sold me was the turbo, in both 5th & 6th gear the pick up to get around other vehicles was very impressive. I also tested the fit for my Rottie with the rear seats down she has enough room to move around realitively comfortably.

Favorite Features

I have all 4 packages on mine, but the feature that I like the most is the cold winter options from the heated seats to the heated windshield jets.

Suggested Improvements

I would refine the Ipod adaptor cable and location. Move them from under the center stack to the arm rest.

Sweet rally car with seating for four.
By Branden

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Picked this up in Kansas city and drove it home 7 hours. It has amazing torque and cornering. Very comfortable for road trips, with firm seats and real lumbar support with the upgraded upholstery. It does have a very firm ride, and the sport package is only for masochists. I plan on switching out the run flats when they wear out with regular tires to ease the bumpiness. The roads here in Minnesota are bad. If you can find a twisty road it is sublime. I test drove all the varieties, and I think the Auto base is a bit underpowered. The Manual base is ok. Obviously the S in either version rocks. But switch the MPH over to the RPM gauge, as I hit 100 when passing without noticing.

Favorite Features

The look and feel of the car. It is a little rally car. The torgue boost is quite impressive. The cloth/leather seating is a great deal if you are building your own, as it includes color line and interior surface choice, usually running $500, so it is $500 over that. And it has Lumbar support.

Suggested Improvements

Choice of run flats or performance tires on S to smooth out the ride. Put HiFi stereo back in performance package. Put On/Volume button on the stereo instead of down below. Make the controls a bit more intuitive. It needs more storage in center console. None of these are deal breakers. Love it.

Mini Van Replacement Clubman 6 spd.
By wayne

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The kids are driving themselves and the family minivan was getting old. When gas hit $4/gal I wanted to drive something with better gas mileage. We have a Camry Hybrid which is fuel efficent and boring. I wanted something more fun and the Prius wasn't going to cut it. Once I drove the Clubman I decided it had the size I needed and the fuel mileage and fun factor I wanted. I'm getting 36 mpg overall and 42 on the highway. Probably should of bought the "S" model but I wanted gas mileage. I had I known gas would be cheap again I would of bought the "S" Model.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. Great looking car and with the rear barn doors has good storage/truck capacity. Back seats are big enough for normal sized passengers. Quality feel to the car inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls are confusing. The wiper speed controls are lacking fine speed control especially during light rain. Front rotors soil the alloy wheels. Sixth gear could be a little higher to lower the revs at highway speeds. Speedometer reads nearly 10% high which is a known Mini problem.

Hunt Club...man
By Mark

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had pickups of various sizes and even really enjoyed the Toyota FJ, but when I was putting a tank of fuel a day through it, I had to make a change. With the flat rear deck, I can get two dog kennels gear and hunting buddy in it, and hunt all day on peanuts. The ground clearance, ride and slippery conditions limit its access, but it sure is great to get around in. Actually got a 1000kms to a tank once.

Favorite Features

Lounge leather seats that I would like to remove and keep for every vehicle I own next. Keyless entry and start. 10 speaker Stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Radio and climate controls are poorly layed out. Rattles too much on gravel roads with dust coming in. Window washers are too course and waste fluid. Rear suspension gets overwhelmed far too easily.