Used 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:

Don't be Fooled
By Daniel Wagner

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had this car for only 22 mos. I just traded it in. It was fun to drive, loaded w/ features & fairly economical, but it's likely to be very expensive to maintain after factory maintenance plan & warranty expire. It came with a deep scratch/gouge in the armrest. The dealer was unable to replace it without PERMANENTLY ruining the integrity of the trim molding around it -- floor console kept falling apart & isn't fixable); needed new front tires & alignment at 30,000 mi. ($385) (tires, align. & rotation not included in maint. plan); new front brake pads & rotors at 38,000 mi. ($650 but covered by maint. plan); new power steering rack at 40,000 mi. (covered under warranty). Future cost?

Favorite Features

Heated seats & mirrors, push button entry/start, auto headlights & climate control, panoramic sunroof, prepaid satellite radio for life of the car, power folding mirrors, excellent handling, good gas mileage, rear legroom, cargo room, integrated Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Better headlights. Base headlights worked very poorly. I recommend getting the xenon. Stop speakers from vibrating and making noise inside their enclosures. Get engine to run effectively on regular gas. Improve quality control and dealer customer service training.

Mini Van Replacement Clubman 6 spd.
By wayne

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The kids are driving themselves and the family minivan was getting old. When gas hit $4/gal I wanted to drive something with better gas mileage. We have a Camry Hybrid which is fuel efficent and boring. I wanted something more fun and the Prius wasn't going to cut it. Once I drove the Clubman I decided it had the size I needed and the fuel mileage and fun factor I wanted. I'm getting 36 mpg overall and 42 on the highway. Probably should of bought the "S" model but I wanted gas mileage. I had I known gas would be cheap again I would of bought the "S" Model.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. Great looking car and with the rear barn doors has good storage/truck capacity. Back seats are big enough for normal sized passengers. Quality feel to the car inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls are confusing. The wiper speed controls are lacking fine speed control especially during light rain. Front rotors soil the alloy wheels. Sixth gear could be a little higher to lower the revs at highway speeds. Speedometer reads nearly 10% high which is a known Mini problem.

Hunt Club...man
By Mark

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had pickups of various sizes and even really enjoyed the Toyota FJ, but when I was putting a tank of fuel a day through it, I had to make a change. With the flat rear deck, I can get two dog kennels gear and hunting buddy in it, and hunt all day on peanuts. The ground clearance, ride and slippery conditions limit its access, but it sure is great to get around in. Actually got a 1000kms to a tank once.

Favorite Features

Lounge leather seats that I would like to remove and keep for every vehicle I own next. Keyless entry and start. 10 speaker Stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Radio and climate controls are poorly layed out. Rattles too much on gravel roads with dust coming in. Window washers are too course and waste fluid. Rear suspension gets overwhelmed far too easily.

Lady in Red
By Lady in Red

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Love everything about the car from the inside-out. Pickup on steep hills could be better. Navigation is great and looks so much nicer than the standard speedometer and the back-up camera for me was a must. The upgraded stereo system sounds great. Felt the sunroofs weren't dark enough so I bought 4 tinted window spots from Axist (2 in front & 2 in rear) and now they're tinted the way I like them, from a person who suffers from skin cancer.

Favorite Features

Being able to customize the interior color scheme (red & black) to match the exterior. Everyone comments on the sporty look with the chrome foglights and black sport stripes. My neighbor says it suits me. Love the 31.6 mpg with plus gas - beats my BMW 330XI that got 20.9 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Better pick-up on steep hills would be nice. Not having to pay $250 for an armrest (has very little storage), nobody else charges for one. Having a solid material shade besides the mesh sunscreen shade on the sunroofs I think is very important, especially with skin cancer on the rise.

Great Car
By davidscar

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Moved away from European to Japanese now back to Cooper. Great Car! Really have trouble keeping it at legal speed. Getting ready for first trip, 600 miles, can't wait. Traded in a Miata for this, don't regret it at all.

Favorite Features

One button to open windows and sunroof. A/C works great. All controls are simple to use.

Suggested Improvements

Would be great if it had better back up lights. Only one doesn't quite do it.