2008 MINI Cooper Clubman Consumer Reviews

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper Clubman model:
Must be a lemon
By lagniapperob on 10/15/14 07:34 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This one must be a lemon based on what others are saying here (strange, 'cause on the MINI forums others report the same problems as we've had). 44K miles and we're on our 3rd clutch. And yes, we both know how to drive a clutch. Our other manuals haven't needed one yet. The plastic thermostat housing cracked and BMW was out of stock for weeks on end (new inventory system screwup). Never spent $800 to replace a thermostat before - that's crazy. The back passenger door has sticking issues from day one. Then it stuck open!! Thus making the car unusable. Time chain tensioner broke. Car has > $10,000 in repairs so far, plus the normal maintenance costs. That's simply unacceptable.

4 Turbos and multiple other problems
By Mike LeViseur on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

2008 Clubman S. Has almost every option on it and garage kept.Well cared for, one owner. I have had FOUR yes FOUR turbo's replaced. The fuel injectors replaced and the sunroof adjusted 4 times for excessive noise. I have had it in the shop in San Antonio,Houston and Austin. Customer service is terrible because they do not communicate with me. I have to call them to find out what the issue is.I have asked for some assistance from Mini and they will not help. They make it sound as it's my fault the car is always in the shop. I have not driven the car for 2 consecutive days since Sept 17th. Stay AWAY from mini!

It was fun, but
By Virginia on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Blast to drive, easy to park, nice to look at. Fun car, oddly tons of room inside, even for really tall people. Fit big dog in, could buy dozens of bags of groceries, versatile. Very poor driver in the snow- front wheel drive torque could easily get away from driver. Sun roof was really nice- large opening nearly like a convertible. Excellent vision for highway driving, excellent pick up for on ramps. But, not seen on highway easily at all, not seen in traffic, chippy on pavement when shifting, so light it jumped over joints in road, moving sideways a bit, and some fit and finish issues, quality issues. Sound system, even with premium, not so great. Utterly superb gas mileage!

Don't be Fooled
By Daniel Wagner on 06/02/10 08:50 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I had this car for only 22 mos. I just traded it in. It was fun to drive, loaded w/ features & fairly economical, but it's likely to be very expensive to maintain after factory maintenance plan & warranty expire. It came with a deep scratch/gouge in the armrest. The dealer was unable to replace it without PERMANENTLY ruining the integrity of the trim molding around it -- floor console kept falling apart & isn't fixable); needed new front tires & alignment at 30,000 mi. ($385) (tires, align. & rotation not included in maint. plan); new front brake pads & rotors at 38,000 mi. ($650 but covered by maint. plan); new power steering rack at 40,000 mi. (covered under warranty). Future cost?

Pick of the Litter
By Mark on 09/17/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Totally fun to drive even with Auto Tranny. Much more comfortable ride than regular Mini. Ride is best with 16"or smaller rims. Beautiful design grows on you alot with time. Was delivered with broken speaker that dealer has not been able to fix in 4 visits. Sunroof malfunctions sometimes. Alot of road noise on the highway. Radio controls are a joke. But I love this car beyond reason. Can hold lots of stuff but still fits in tight parking spaces in the city here in downtown Chicago. Even with little defects it's still worth it.

Weeeeeee!
By Brian on 07/09/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a vehicle! This car is tight, quiet, and does whatever I ask of it and asks for more. Turns like it's on rails. My wife called me when driving it for the first time, and asked how to turn on the cruise control, because she was doing 90 MPH and didn't realize it. I'm outstandingly pleased with my purchase.

Autobahn Driving
By Dave on 05/29/09 02:00 AM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a reliable comuter car and looked at the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and the Clubman. Of the 3 the Mini offered the Get-Up-&-Go I was looking for with the "S" model. I test drove both models on the AutoBahn here in Germany. What really sold me was the turbo, in both 5th & 6th gear the pick up to get around other vehicles was very impressive. I also tested the fit for my Rottie with the rear seats down she has enough room to move around realitively comfortably.

Sweet rally car with seating for four.
By Branden on 05/20/09 17:38 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Picked this up in Kansas city and drove it home 7 hours. It has amazing torque and cornering. Very comfortable for road trips, with firm seats and real lumbar support with the upgraded upholstery. It does have a very firm ride, and the sport package is only for masochists. I plan on switching out the run flats when they wear out with regular tires to ease the bumpiness. The roads here in Minnesota are bad. If you can find a twisty road it is sublime. I test drove all the varieties, and I think the Auto base is a bit underpowered. The Manual base is ok. Obviously the S in either version rocks. But switch the MPH over to the RPM gauge, as I hit 100 when passing without noticing.

Mini Van Replacement Clubman 6 spd.
By wayne on 03/18/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

The kids are driving themselves and the family minivan was getting old. When gas hit $4/gal I wanted to drive something with better gas mileage. We have a Camry Hybrid which is fuel efficent and boring. I wanted something more fun and the Prius wasn't going to cut it. Once I drove the Clubman I decided it had the size I needed and the fuel mileage and fun factor I wanted. I'm getting 36 mpg overall and 42 on the highway. Probably should of bought the "S" model but I wanted gas mileage. I had I known gas would be cheap again I would of bought the "S" Model.

Hunt Club...man
By Mark on 03/17/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

2008 MINI Cooper Clubman 3dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I've had pickups of various sizes and even really enjoyed the Toyota FJ, but when I was putting a tank of fuel a day through it, I had to make a change. With the flat rear deck, I can get two dog kennels gear and hunting buddy in it, and hunt all day on peanuts. The ground clearance, ride and slippery conditions limit its access, but it sure is great to get around in. Actually got a 1000kms to a tank once.