2002 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Been a good Van
By trapfreek on 08/17/12 14:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Villager Popular 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have had this van for 8 years (second owner) and it has had no problems. My only complaint is that a strong wind will move it around a bit on the freeway and the seat will not go back quite far enough for me. All we have done in the past 8 years was front brake pads and a new battery. My daughter gets our hand me down cars and I hope this will keep going as well for her for a couple more years.

OVER 164,000 miles & STILL going!
By john_adams on 06/24/12 21:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Villager Popular 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Mercury Villager with 150,000 miles on it last year. I was amazed at how quiet and smooth it was. This vehicle is clean and runs better than my much newer vehicles of the past. With the high miles, I only paid $2,600 for it. It, now, has over 164,000 miles on it, and still runs super! The gas milage could be a little better, but I still love this mini van!

Best Van...or maybe vehicle I've owned!
By David on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Villager Value 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know what the editor's were rating when they rated this vehicle but obviously they were sports car enthusiasts or something, lol. It's no Porsche or Corvette, it's a van. This is the second Villager I've owned, the first one being a 1997. I have had great luck with both of them. Absolutely the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I do not know why they stopped production so early on. I have owned my current 2002 model for almost 6 years now and have put about 80K miles on it(it had 25K when I bought it) Outside of normal maintenance I have done nothing to this van except I had to replace a CV Joint. that's it in 6 years. Reliable, roomy, comfortable...what else do you want!

Villager by choice
By alanstern on 12/20/09 09:44 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My second Villager. Editors think this is a junker, I like it better than the Sienna and Odyssey plus a lot cheaper. Seating configuration works for me..I'm a musician. Power and gas mileage are more than adequate. What about the falling rear window wiper blade? Mine's the fourth one I've seen. Shouldn't this be a safety recall Issue? No serious problems.

Number and still going
By Denzil on 10/28/09 15:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Villager Estate Premium 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned 5 Mercury Villagers, starting with a 1995 nautica version. I keep buying them because they're the best vehicle Ford ever made. I've put no less than 100,000 miles on each of them, this one has 115,000 miles and is in excellent condition My first one, I sold to a friend is stiil on the road, and he is still a friend. If Ford still made them, I'd buy another. Too bad Ford and Nissan couldn't work out their joint venture, Ford would still be in the mini-van market and have a greater market share. If Ford would have put some of the features of the Villager in the Windstar they'd have sold a bunch more of them. I love mine and will drive it until it drops since I can't buy another

Great Van with few problems
By 86bmw325i on 04/26/09 22:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van is great. This is my 7th year of owning it and had a previous 1995 model Villager. I love the performance and semi sporty handling, better than the other minivans I test drove. The interior is well designed, except that it has so much plastic used. The dashboard rattles when it idles, so I took it too the dealership, but of coarse they said they couldn't hear it. Had an exhaust leak at about 90k, the mechanic couldn't order the right part because they quit making it, so he had to weld the old one. It still whines a little when you accelerate, nothing big, though. Also, I can feel engine vibrations through the steering wheel. But, other than that, it's a great mini-van.

#3
By jimd on 01/13/09 08:40 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our third Estate. The first one went 260K before we traded for a '98. That went 190K before I demolished it. Car was toast but wife and I walked away. Interesting note. Injuries in accidents are roughly half of those in other vehicles.Just bought '02. Expect the same great reliability. Only problem was Ford CD changer which went south at 140K on both previous cars Newer one has simple player. I guess we'll have to hang on to this one.

Great Van
By C-man on 12/26/08 21:18 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Villager Value 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is more comfortable and easier to manuver than the last 1998 Ford Arrowstar. Always tends to give plenty of warning before anything breaks or gives out so you can take it in and have it fixed before you are stuck. Could use more leg room for driver. A little better acceleration ability would be very nice, however it does seem to hold its own. Very nice manuverability and drives well in any weather. It is hard to do any of the work on your own under the hood as it is all compact and squashed together making it very difficult to do it yourself. It only has two key locks, one on the driver door, and one for the hatch. Would like to see one on front passenger door as well.

Mercury Villager
By Steve on 11/26/06 06:29 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Villager Value 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Mercury Villager. There great vans. We have always been pleased.

Most comfortable and efficient Van
By Kim on 08/31/06 07:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first minivan I have owned and am very pleased with the comfort and the fuel economy. I have gotten 23- 25 mpg highway miles. Also, the leather seats are very comfortable with a lumbar support for the driver. I have to travel long distances to work and the comfort is great since I have a bad back. The sound quality is great especially with the video system. The only compliant are the tires; Michelin Symmerty tires are already worn badly at 60,000 miles and are very rough. Overall this is the best car I have ever owned. Unfortunately they (Nissan) don't make this van anymore. It is basically a Nissan Quest.