Used 2002 Mercury Villager Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Villager

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

Been a good Van
By trapfreek

2002 Mercury Villager Popular 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have had this van for 8 years (second owner) and it has had no problems. My only complaint is that a strong wind will move it around a bit on the freeway and the seat will not go back quite far enough for me. All we have done in the past 8 years was front brake pads and a new battery. My daughter gets our hand me down cars and I hope this will keep going as well for her for a couple more years.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Just the front seat.

OVER 164,000 miles & STILL going!
By john_adams

2002 Mercury Villager Popular 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Mercury Villager with 150,000 miles on it last year. I was amazed at how quiet and smooth it was. This vehicle is clean and runs better than my much newer vehicles of the past. With the high miles, I only paid $2,600 for it. It, now, has over 164,000 miles on it, and still runs super! The gas milage could be a little better, but I still love this mini van!

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage

Best Van...or maybe vehicle I've owned!
By David

2002 Mercury Villager Value 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know what the editor's were rating when they rated this vehicle but obviously they were sports car enthusiasts or something, lol. It's no Porsche or Corvette, it's a van. This is the second Villager I've owned, the first one being a 1997. I have had great luck with both of them. Absolutely the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I do not know why they stopped production so early on. I have owned my current 2002 model for almost 6 years now and have put about 80K miles on it(it had 25K when I bought it) Outside of normal maintenance I have done nothing to this van except I had to replace a CV Joint. that's it in 6 years. Reliable, roomy, comfortable...what else do you want!

Favorite Features

Fold down and removable seats, seats 6- 7 rather comfortably, easy controls, no blind spots when driving, great stereo and CD quality, and most of all reliability and lack of mechanic bills. Getting ready to sell it now only because the kids are grown and time to get something smaller. Great!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can think of is maybe a little higher quality interior but I bought the base model so acceptable to me. Besides who cares about improvements at this point, they don't make them anymore! Bad move on Ford and Nissans part. These things far better then any other van Ford built

Villager by choice
By alanstern

2002 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My second Villager. Editors think this is a junker, I like it better than the Sienna and Odyssey plus a lot cheaper. Seating configuration works for me..I'm a musician. Power and gas mileage are more than adequate. What about the falling rear window wiper blade? Mine's the fourth one I've seen. Shouldn't this be a safety recall Issue? No serious problems.

Favorite Features

Fold and slide third seat, driveability, Column shift..I prefer my own console..factory stereo is great, easy to read and simple to operate, (yes, I'm a geezer).

Suggested Improvements

Seat is too hard for a guy with no butt, more clothes hanging hooks, brighter dashoard lighting and can't read odometer (yes, I'm still a geezer)

Number and still going
By Denzil

2002 Mercury Villager Estate Premium 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned 5 Mercury Villagers, starting with a 1995 nautica version. I keep buying them because they're the best vehicle Ford ever made. I've put no less than 100,000 miles on each of them, this one has 115,000 miles and is in excellent condition My first one, I sold to a friend is stiil on the road, and he is still a friend. If Ford still made them, I'd buy another. Too bad Ford and Nissan couldn't work out their joint venture, Ford would still be in the mini-van market and have a greater market share. If Ford would have put some of the features of the Villager in the Windstar they'd have sold a bunch more of them. I love mine and will drive it until it drops since I can't buy another

Favorite Features

A tailgate window that opens separated from the tailgate. You slide a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in thru the window.

Suggested Improvements

Padded arm rests in the driver and passenger doors.