2001 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Reliable and cheap but has drawbacks
By brian174 on 04/08/11 17:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the van for 3 years now. I bought it with 85K miles on it and have 140K now. I bought it because I got Nissan quality at Ford depreciation levels, so it was cheap. I like the Nissan engine and transmission. Only problems I've had were the usual Ford electrical gremlins. It is a gas hog. Seating system is poorly designed. Van is noisy going down highway (wind noise mostly.) I'm basically satisfied but can't figure out why this thing only gets 18-20 mpg when other bigger vans with bigger engines get 25 mpg. It's a good, cheap van, though.

Don't waste your money
By WASTE OF MONEY on 05/24/10 13:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We were initially intrigued with the Villager because it is basically a cheaper version of the Nissan Quest, but it has been the worst investment of our lives. We have had nothing but repairs season after season, year after year. We thought we got if for a bargain, but the cost of the repairs makes this vehicle worthless. I hate this van and would not recommend it to anyone. It is noisy, has brake issues, ac issues and has slow acceleration. It eats gas as if it were an truck. Very very disappointing buy. I am looking for a replacement now. I would never recommend this van to anyone. It may be cheap in price only because it is cheap in quality.

I love MY Villager!
By luvmyvillager on 06/24/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Villager has been extremely reliable and comfortable. I have had no problems with it. It's a fun van to drive and I wish they were still making them!

Great van
By joe cobra on 08/17/08 17:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this new. Now have 111,000 on it with no major problems. Very reliable. Took many long trips with the family, never let me down

Excellent
By Kevin on 08/15/06 08:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Mercury Villager is a fun mini van to drive and is worth the buy even if it is used. The interior is superior to other mini vans of its year.

Good Vehicle
By A Curry on 02/21/06 01:10 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased this van since it was being discontinued, because it is very easy to get in and out of, unlike most vans. I am a short person, with a disability from polio and this van is perfect for me to enter and exit from. I wish they had continued to make this van as it is a very good vehicle.

A great mini van
By Katie on 07/29/05 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third minivan and second villager. I have only had to do normal maintenance, no major repairs. It is a very reliable car, comfortable to drive. Gas mileage ~18 mpg.

Trust the Editor' rating
By Luck on 02/11/05 15:47 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is a third set of front brake already; the vehicle has less than 40K miles. EOM brake pad will last up to 20- 25K miles in normal driving condition. Cost $350 plus for the brake service each time. After the car being parked for more than eight hours at work (in the Winter time) Temperature gauge showed the engine is over heated right after the ignition was turned on. Now, I often seeing the temperature gauge jump from normal range to hot range and back and forth from normal driving condition. Water gets in headlights assembly. Two rear tires have radial crack. Rushed Roof rack track on Driver side. A/C light switch

mercury villager
By pedro on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall a great vehicle.

So far,so good...
By lawlady on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

The only complaint I have is how hard it is to take out the seats, and that the third row seat does not fold flat--but that was not an option in minivans when we purchased this vehicle. The handling is great, and I love the way the interior looks.