Used 1999 Mercury Villager Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercury Villager

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

Great Van!
By Doug N

1999 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan

We have put over 100000 miles on our Villager. It is a great van and has been fun to drive. Like the commercials said when they were first introduced, "the mini-van that drives like a car". I would highly recommend a Villager to anyone looking to purchase.

Favorite Features

The quad seating and the CD changer is super.

Gas mileage actually stinks!
By GSDx3

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

We are very happy with the way the van drives. It drives much smoother and quieter than our Ford Explorer did. Only thing that we don't like is that our gas mileage is much worse with the Villager than our Explorer. We are only getting 17 miles per gallon! Also, my show dog Chaos, doesn't like the van at all. He is use to riding in the front seat in my Explorer, and the seat in the Villager is not big enough for him in the front seat beside me. He instantly jumps to the middle seat when we get in the van. Otherwise, I do like the van a lot.

Favorite Features

More room than my explorer had inside. The kewl cup holders that fit anything that you put into it!

Suggested Improvements

CD player in them all! I miss my CD player. I wish the middle side windows would stay open when pushed open. Any bump or anything and they close! Also wish they were electric like the back ones. Or they could roll down so my dogs could stick their heads out.

1999 Villager from Mechanicville, NY
By Vermilyeas

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

We are a Family of 5. Three growing boys, our Villager is great. We have bucket seats in the second row. We always keep one seat out for the added room, and put it back when we need it!Our Villager has served us well!

Favorite Features

I like the accessability of the radio on the wheel, and the lumbar support on the driving seat

Suggested Improvements

We have rust on the underside if the rear sliding doors. A way to eliminate this problem!

Great Value
By Northern Exposure

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Bought van used with 60k, now have 80k miles. The styling is great, still looks fresh. This is a loaded Estate with leather seats, very comfortable interior with luxury look and feel, rides, drives and handles like a car. Mechanically there are some disappointments. Had the sticky throttle problem, fixed it with $2 can of carb cleaner and spray silicon lube. Gas mileage is disappointing at 19/24, had a 98 Dodge Caravan that got 28 on the highway. Replaced one CV Joint and both ball joints on front suspension, cost was reasonable though at $450. Nissan V-6 is best feature, good power, smooth, quiet, uses no oil. Wish the 3 row seat was removable.

Favorite Features

Smooth strong V6 motor, comfortable and smooth handling on the highway. I love the sun roof. It also handles great in snow during our Wisconsin winters. Overall it has been a good vehicle and a great value, as I paid under $9K.

Suggested Improvements

With a few mechanical and interior design tweaks(removable 3rd row seats/rear heat) the Villager could have become a strong challenger to the Odyssey, too bad Ford didn't stick with Nissan to develope its next generation of mini-vans - the Windstar/Freestar certainly has been a dog.

Thanks for the knowledge
By SMOOTH

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

I read this web site's reviews on this vehicle before deciding to purchase. I must say so far everything good and bad have been true. I just purchased this vehicle yesterday. It is nice so far. I'm looking forward to a good 2 years in this vehicle without any major problems just minor hopefully. It was really helpful to read this website on information from previous owners of this vehicle. Happy driver so far.

Favorite Features

Roomy, High off the street, within my budget, smooth ride,

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the front seat