1999 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Mercury Villager #2
By dede on 08/09/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

This is our second Villager, the first one has been great, we still have it and it has 177000 miles on it, but this newer one has problems. The accelerator sticks. We have had it fixed once already and in less than 3 years need to have it fixed again. We were charged almost $400.00 the first time. It also bounces a lot. Even with new tires it is not the smooth ride our other older villager has. It rattles, windows pop open on even small bumps.

Hate minivans but respect Villager
By Hadi on 05/25/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Bought my villager estate at 94K miles. Had to replace front CV Joints at 100K. Has 110K with no problems. As such a very reliable small van. Hate minivans but have to grudgingly respect the villager for quality and style. Wouldnt have bought it if it wasnt for the Nissan technology. My only gripe is that its very bad on leg room both front and middle. Captain's chairs are heavy to remove and pain to put back. Like the front and rear AC feature...wish it was also the same for heat. Could have been more powerful and definitely could have been much better on gas. Gives me a measly 17 in the city and around 24 on the highway. All in all would recommend this small minivan.

Happy with my Villager
By ecstatic on 05/07/05 23:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Have owned since new. A delight to own and drive. Excellent build and quality control. Much fewer problems than my Mercedes and previous Nissan Quest.

Excellent value, lots of pep
By Hedley on 03/18/05 14:30 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

We have two villagers, a 1995 and a 99, both of which I bought used, and both have been very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. The 99 has 5 times the acceleration of the 95. I also recently began experiencing the sticky gas pedal in the 99. If someone has an easy solution, I'd appreciate your sharing it.

Dependability
By Eli De La Torre on 01/19/05 21:35 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Driving comfort for this vehicle is without measure. It drives like a town car and very quiet inside. Even after 75000 miles the engine is smooth and quiet and quickly responds when you press the accelerator. It's a vehicle you can trust to get you around town and the long halls.

Quality Van
By saa3567 on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

I have loved this van. We bought it used with 47k miles, and added a 60k warranty to it that I never used, and I looked hard for a reason. Had the sticky throttle problem, fixed it myself with some carb cleaner on the throttle body (less than $5 and 10 minutes). Replaced struts and CV boot at 112k. Only $750 in repairs in 65k miles, can't complain about that, includes brakes, battery, tail lt, shocks and struts. Probably run another 30-40 before other normal repairs are needed, at least I hope! It never leaks oil or anything. Don't use a cheap battery, and I recommend the midgrade tires (not the cheapies) for a smoother ride. Great car and much better price than Honda/Toyota.

villager air conditioning system
By valerina on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

I am experiencing my first problem at 68000 miles and that is that the air conditioning system (which runs underneath the vehicle) has corroded. Unfortunately this is not an inexpensive repair. I was told by the shop that this is a common problem.

Fix to headlights
By rlhslw on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

My passenger headlight has had the wiring harness replaced by me 3 times now, it is a underrated ground on the plug @18 guage wire. I stapped a 12 guage from 1 inch behind plug w/ a strap and attached it to the fire wall due to its under rating to handle the current. Local dealer says ther are no known issues. Have had all 3 engine senors replaced, rear window switch broken(still) and now struts seem to be gone as it handles badly @ 100k.And radio controls on steering wheel shorted out. And my gas pedal sticks- How do you fix it!! Will buy Honda or Toyota next time!

Never Again
By VanMom on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

This has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned and will never buy another Ford product. Have replaced headlight wiring, throttle box (>$400 due to sticking gas pedal), and power door locks. Driver's auto door lock currently not working, and radio display is blank (have found out this is a common problem). Doors rattled like crazy from day #1 (dealer fixed after many, many tries). Many other annoying repairs. Great inconvenience. My advice -- buy a Honda. We have had two,and they last well over 200,000 miles with minimal repairs. Only bought Villager because Honda Odyssey was not available at the time and had to have a mini van.

So far So good
By Aaron Lowry on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

I have had this van for only a year. Bought it with only 36K and now has 46K. Has not been in the shop and dont plan on it. IMy wife drives it daily for basic around town errands and hauling kids. She loves it for what we use it for. It would be a little cramped for adults in the back for long trips, but great for small families and hauling small ones around. Just took the familiy on a trip and covered about 1,000 miles, the van was a solid performer. I would have to say that I would rather own a Sienna or an Odyseey, but these are both well overpriced. Overall, this van is the best bang for your buck as far as price, ride quality and reliability.