Used 1999 Mercury Villager Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercury Villager

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

Great powertrain, but poor assembly
By VG

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Just sold after 9 years. Nissan's design and the solid and reliable Nissan's powertrain were the other reasons why I bought it and they surely stood up strong. However, my first years under warranty have been spoiled by constant trips to the dealership to have a dozen of minor assembly items fixed. It just seemed that the van was put together in a hurry and things were constantly falling apart - CDs skipped on minor bumps, headlights had leaks and failed, windshield cracked from an edge, speed steering rattled at high speed, etc. Once all those things have been fixed, the van has became fun and proved to be a real work horse.

Nissan's powertrain. Plush set features of the Estate model

Assembly quality

Loved My Villager
By 1122ldr

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Have been driving Villagers for 15 years--my '99 was my second one and I'm very sad to be selling it and moving on. It was so easy to drive, a comfortable ride, and I've loved the versatility and ease of reconfiguring the space for the load (even for a woman!). It carried my Girl Scouts and their gear camping and on troop trips--and as the "cookie van", it held over 1000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies without removing any seats!

Automatic temperature control, comfortable seats, sliding doors on both sides, sliding 3rd seat, hidden drawer under passenger seat, and, always, how quickly and easily it could be reconfigured for whoever/whatever I was hauling around (and no muscles required!).

Had to replace 3 power door locks, likewise front seat cup holders (good concept, but the springs kept breaking). Washer fluid line for back window tended to freeze in winter and finally stopped working altogether (but back wiper was great).

1999 Mercury Villager Estate
By Barb

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Purchased used in 2002 with 30K. My first Mercury. I've always owned Nissans. I've had a lot of problems with this van. The gas pedal sticks, the sliding door windows rattle and won't stay open, rear wiper doesn't work, rear auto windows don't work, A/C doesn't work. The transmission jerks going from 1st to 2nd gear. Had the valve-body replaced twice. Had the box that controls trasmission twice. The transmission still jerks. The Check Engine light has been on for the past 5 years. Took it to 2 dealerships, no one can figure out why the light stays on. Battery and oil lights have been on for the past 6 mo even though I had both checked. I would never buy another Villager again.

Roomy, radio controls on the steering wheel, rear A/C controls (used when it worked), rear radio control, handles well on the road, comfortable ride.

Fix sticky gas pedal, run A/C wires inside, eliminate rattling, transmission (?), fuel efficiency.

Good Van
By Bransonbuff

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

We bought our '99 Villager Estate used in 2002. It has served us well. I did have the accelerator problem, and Ford wanted a small fortune to fix it. So I took the car to a local shop with experience with Villagers, and they fixed the sticky accelerator by cleaning the assembly. No problem, cheap fix, works fine. We took this van to Yellowstone last summer, and it performed flawlessly. I did order a used digital radio/player from a salvage yard and had it installed when the lights faded and went out on the old one. It's nice to have somebody to work on these minor fixes who knows the vehicle. We especially like the bucket middle seats (all leather) and the reclining seats. Good van.

Reliability, comfort, mileage, sound system and automatic climate control, easy access in back, flexible seating, all the cup holders, split radio/CD option between front and back, stability on the road, indestructibility.

Better digital display, that sticky accelerator thing (easy to fix, though).

Great Minivan....We have had 2!
By Bill R.

1999 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan

This van has been wonderful and very reliable. We couldn't afford a Honda Odyssey, and we were looking for reliability. This one has been reliable and the storage/hauling space is amazing....We can't believe all the stuff we have brought home in this. And our import vehicle mechanic still repairs it.

Cargo space and dual sliding doors.

Powered sliders and roll down middle windows.