1999 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
99 SPORT - 93K Miles
By 47IHC-KB on 05/14/09 14:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Had and fixed myself most of the usual problems (Lower than expected mileage, sticky throttle valve, CV JOINT boots failed after 80K-not hard to replace, Bad Headlight socket,dimmer switch intermittant, Rear fuel Injector- Difficult to remove upper intake manifold to access, broken passenger door lock actuator, Bad road vibration-- Bad orig. tires were the cause, front rotors get very hot & warp easy,rear shoes still original, left sliding door seal pops out, waterleak in rear door, paint peeling off cargo rack, squeaky belts, some minor coolant leaks). Engine is still strong, quick acceleration, handles well. Still using 2nd set of tires, but vibration increasing. Horn difficult to activate

Best I've owned
By b0bbyj0nes on 04/25/09 20:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Bought Villager used with 22,000 miles. Only problem was sticking gas pedal and normal maintenance until 110,000 miles. Since then have replaced front ball joints and driver's side window control unit. Currently the tachometer is sticking. Get 20 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the highway with the 6 cylinder engine. With over 120,000 miles still runs perfect, burns no oil, and passes smog with flying colors.

Great Dependable Van
By Catg on 03/17/09 04:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

We purchased our villager new 10 years ago. We have put 137,000 miles on it and it has been very dependble. We had to replace the CV joint as some reviewers have said and have had a problem with the gas pedal sticking but other than regular maintenance we have had no major problems. Gas mileage is really not bad for a v- 6 van. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a van. It also has tons of room (more than any SUV) when the seats are pushed up.

Best Purchase Yet
By Jasonwillhelp on 03/15/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

I am thinking of buying another van and as I have been searching, I see these reviews. This is my 2nd villager. We had great luck with our first one and bought this one after our first one was totaled. Bought with 95,000 miles and we now have 150,000 miles on this one and actually just got back from a weekend get away from a destination that is 4 hours from us. We have slight issues, but normal for this many miles. Considering that the Odyssey and Sienna remain high priced when even used, this van is a great buy! By the way, there was 7 of us on this trip, 2 adults, 4 teenagers and one, big for his age, 8 year old. No complaints from them about room.

A good 2nd car
By JEFFtheGodofBiscuits on 11/16/08 05:58 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Bought at 90,000 miles and drove for 4 years. Pretty good experience overall, although we did get the clogged carb/sticky throttle problem that some have complained about. A simple $40 fix at our local mechanic. Removable pilot seats were great, as was the 6 disc CD player. The fuel economy was not great, at about 17- 18. Have sold it due to age and impending repair bills being more than the TMV.

Great powertrain, but poor assembly
By VG on 08/03/08 02:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Just sold after 9 years. Nissan's design and the solid and reliable Nissan's powertrain were the other reasons why I bought it and they surely stood up strong. However, my first years under warranty have been spoiled by constant trips to the dealership to have a dozen of minor assembly items fixed. It just seemed that the van was put together in a hurry and things were constantly falling apart - CDs skipped on minor bumps, headlights had leaks and failed, windshield cracked from an edge, speed steering rattled at high speed, etc. Once all those things have been fixed, the van has became fun and proved to be a real work horse.

Loved My Villager
By 1122ldr on 05/29/08 23:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Have been driving Villagers for 15 years--my '99 was my second one and I'm very sad to be selling it and moving on. It was so easy to drive, a comfortable ride, and I've loved the versatility and ease of reconfiguring the space for the load (even for a woman!). It carried my Girl Scouts and their gear camping and on troop trips--and as the "cookie van", it held over 1000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies without removing any seats!

1999 Mercury Villager Estate
By Barb on 05/16/08 12:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Purchased used in 2002 with 30K. My first Mercury. I've always owned Nissans. I've had a lot of problems with this van. The gas pedal sticks, the sliding door windows rattle and won't stay open, rear wiper doesn't work, rear auto windows don't work, A/C doesn't work. The transmission jerks going from 1st to 2nd gear. Had the valve-body replaced twice. Had the box that controls trasmission twice. The transmission still jerks. The Check Engine light has been on for the past 5 years. Took it to 2 dealerships, no one can figure out why the light stays on. Battery and oil lights have been on for the past 6 mo even though I had both checked. I would never buy another Villager again.

Good Van
By Bransonbuff on 04/28/08 15:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

We bought our '99 Villager Estate used in 2002. It has served us well. I did have the accelerator problem, and Ford wanted a small fortune to fix it. So I took the car to a local shop with experience with Villagers, and they fixed the sticky accelerator by cleaning the assembly. No problem, cheap fix, works fine. We took this van to Yellowstone last summer, and it performed flawlessly. I did order a used digital radio/player from a salvage yard and had it installed when the lights faded and went out on the old one. It's nice to have somebody to work on these minor fixes who knows the vehicle. We especially like the bucket middle seats (all leather) and the reclining seats. Good van.

Great Minivan....We have had 2!
By Bill R. on 01/26/08 13:43 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager Sport 4dr Minivan

This van has been wonderful and very reliable. We couldn't afford a Honda Odyssey, and we were looking for reliability. This one has been reliable and the storage/hauling space is amazing....We can't believe all the stuff we have brought home in this. And our import vehicle mechanic still repairs it.