Used 1999 Mercury Villager Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercury Villager

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

OK I GUESS
By 64FAIRLANESC

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Bought the van for my wife and she likes it. I however am 6'3" tall and can tell that it was designed by the Japanese (Nissan). I have to bend in half to get in and have no headroom or leg room and do not like to drive it for very long. My 2001 Ford Windstar that I drive is 10 times more comfortable for a taller person. Mechanically I have had no real problems but I am a stickler for maint, and do all repairs myself. Had to replace ball joints and a CV axle. Some electrical connecters in lights bad, I see this on Japanese designs alot though. It now has 75000 miles and is reliable and ok to drive if your not tall than 5'8"

reliability, gas milage.

not made any more but will never by a car with japanese influences because interiors never have enough room.

great family car but after 10 years swap
By KT

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

I have loved my Villager ever since we got it used ( with 17000) miles on it back in 2001. But this year has been a nightmare.It has 89000 miles on it now. Everything has gone wrong & we have dumped over $5000.00 in it over the last 8 months ( towed 4 times) and thinking that "hopefully this will be the last repair". My advise...when any car first produces a $1500. repair bill...sell it & get something else because chances are it will be the beginning of a long line of repair bills. can't afford it anymore but can't afford anything else either-ha !

doesn't feel big, drives like a sports car but has tons of room

would be nice if it would never break

Wish I Never Sold It
By Harry Nuccio

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Bought this van used and put 75000 miles on it in 3 years. Sold it when it reached 115000 miles, and replaced it with a 2005 Chrysler Touring. The Mercury was a much better vehicle - especially in the ride comfort department. The Mercury rode quiet and solid. The Chrysler is noisy and you feel every bump in the road. The only complaint with the Mercury was that it was underpowered with a 3.2 (?) engine.

Comfortable riding

A little underpowered.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By LivinOnGravel

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Driven daily for over six years. Have ~148K miles on it. Keep expecting something to force us to stop driving it, but it just keeps running. Amazing vehicle. We've had a tiny cost of repair over the years. It is my rule against what I measure everything else now. Have had the throttle place stick, so I clean out the throttle body regularly. Gauges failed twice-tach sticks & stops moving. Great fuel mileage. We get 18-ish in town and up to 24 MPG hi-way. Couldn't afford a Honda or Toyota, but didn't need to -- this vehicle will be hard to say 'good-bye' to when/if it ever dies.

3.3L excellent acceleration, low-end torque. 24 MPG hi-way. Easy seat configuration. CD changer. Power seat & lumbar -NICE! Excellent seated height for tall people.

Throttle body req's regular cleaning. Gauge quality - speedo/tach failure. Longer range of tilt wheel.

Gas Pedal/Throttle Sticks
By Sue

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

We bought this van used in October 2002 with 27,000 miles on it. For the most part we have been very happy with it. The major problem that we have is every two or three years the gas pedal begins to stick. For the longest time the dealership had no idea what the problem was. Finally, they figured out that brake dust was collecting in the area underneath the car where the gas pedal is. They fixed it for less than $300. Two years later we had the same problem. I brought it back in and again they fixed it and things worked perfectly. Like clockwork we are experiencing the problem again, and it is two - three years later, so I need to take it back again. Hope this helps someone!

Moving third row seat. I love the way it folds down or folds up and moves forward. The amount of room that it has is just great!

Fix the sticky gas pedal.