1999 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Dog on the highway.
By lugnutzz on 05/04/14 07:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Bought this van thinking that i might get better gas mileage than my old Olds Sihlouette. Boy was I wrong. 18 on the highway, 14 in the city. I thought a tune up would help... Nope. did it myself the first time and figured I messed something up. Took it to a reputable shop and had them do it... nope. Took it on a long trip. Great on the straightaways, but if you climb a hill, you have fully loaded tractor trailers up your butt trying to pass you. Also have had to replace the knock sensor TWICE. Having said that, this is the most comfortable car I have ever had. Bells and whistles work great and cargo is good.

Typical Merc Clunker
By mrebate on 08/06/12 11:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

New from dealership the alarm was tempermental and had to be tweaked by a factory rep. You soon realize you are driving a "truck". Ours had annoying shimmy at highway speed. Although it had less than 60,000 miles when we decided to dump it. It needed an engine a knock sensor when sold. Starter motor, wheel bearings, electric window control panel (drivers door) and rusting exhaust were other repairs for mint condition vehicle. The clear lens cover for the turn signal popped off for no reason. AC needed recharged every year after 4 yrs. A stinko vehicle and inferior dealership do no make for a pleasant experience. Dealer damaged both rocker panels and blamed their new lift.

Happy owner
By chas36 on 05/18/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Bought the Villager new in 2000 as a leftover 1999 for a good price. You can put 7 people in the van, or their luggage, but not both at the same time. Its a little small. Its short on power too, but thats about all the negatives there are. The ride and comfort are great. Its been very reliable. I replaced the cvu joints at 80,000. The radio lights are intermitting. The throttle sticking is a very common problem. The solution is not that bad. Get a can of throttle body cleaner and spray around the edges of the flapper in the throttle body. Overall I'm well pleased.

2nd Villager
By drdong on 04/19/11 02:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Totaled the 1996 LS with 210K on it. Bought a "cheapie" donated 1999 for short term but love it inspite of the intermittantly sticky gas pedal. Have decided to keep her and put in new: irridium spark plugs and wires, rotor, cap, CV joints, front struts, rear shocks, Michellin Hydro Edge tires w/life time balance, timing belt, radiator hoses, thermostat, trans service and regularly change oil and filter. I want to put disk brakes in the back and looking for a "chip" to increase horse power. Am I a little nuts? Cheaper than new car payments yes?

Still evaluating
By Ice on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Just bought the van from a private party. Had problems I was aware of at time of purchase. Replaced motor mounts, cracked windshield, brakes, plugs and rotor. Had a brief transmission slip. Air conditioning works great. Seems throttle body had some work done to it. Display on radio does not work, but radio does. Service Engine Soon light keeps coming on and off, Passenger rear window won't stay open. Driver window switch is intermittent on roll up. Driver floor mat won't stay flat. Driver rear view outside mirror seems to oscillate a bit while driving. Fuel econ is fluctuating between 17 and 19 in city. Haven't taken on long hi-way trip yet.

OK I GUESS
By 64FAIRLANESC on 04/28/10 23:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Bought the van for my wife and she likes it. I however am 6'3" tall and can tell that it was designed by the Japanese (Nissan). I have to bend in half to get in and have no headroom or leg room and do not like to drive it for very long. My 2001 Ford Windstar that I drive is 10 times more comfortable for a taller person. Mechanically I have had no real problems but I am a stickler for maint, and do all repairs myself. Had to replace ball joints and a CV axle. Some electrical connecters in lights bad, I see this on Japanese designs alot though. It now has 75000 miles and is reliable and ok to drive if your not tall than 5'8"

great family car but after 10 years swap
By KT on 12/08/09 08:43 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

I have loved my Villager ever since we got it used ( with 17000) miles on it back in 2001. But this year has been a nightmare.It has 89000 miles on it now. Everything has gone wrong & we have dumped over $5000.00 in it over the last 8 months ( towed 4 times) and thinking that "hopefully this will be the last repair". My advise...when any car first produces a $1500. repair bill...sell it & get something else because chances are it will be the beginning of a long line of repair bills. can't afford it anymore but can't afford anything else either-ha !

Wish I Never Sold It
By Harry Nuccio on 10/10/09 18:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager Estate 4dr Minivan

Bought this van used and put 75000 miles on it in 3 years. Sold it when it reached 115000 miles, and replaced it with a 2005 Chrysler Touring. The Mercury was a much better vehicle - especially in the ride comfort department. The Mercury rode quiet and solid. The Chrysler is noisy and you feel every bump in the road. The only complaint with the Mercury was that it was underpowered with a 3.2 (?) engine.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By LivinOnGravel on 09/28/09 06:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

Driven daily for over six years. Have ~148K miles on it. Keep expecting something to force us to stop driving it, but it just keeps running. Amazing vehicle. We've had a tiny cost of repair over the years. It is my rule against what I measure everything else now. Have had the throttle place stick, so I clean out the throttle body regularly. Gauges failed twice-tach sticks & stops moving. Great fuel mileage. We get 18-ish in town and up to 24 MPG hi-way. Couldn't afford a Honda or Toyota, but didn't need to -- this vehicle will be hard to say 'good-bye' to when/if it ever dies.

Gas Pedal/Throttle Sticks
By Sue on 08/01/09 23:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Villager 4dr Minivan

We bought this van used in October 2002 with 27,000 miles on it. For the most part we have been very happy with it. The major problem that we have is every two or three years the gas pedal begins to stick. For the longest time the dealership had no idea what the problem was. Finally, they figured out that brake dust was collecting in the area underneath the car where the gas pedal is. They fixed it for less than $300. Two years later we had the same problem. I brought it back in and again they fixed it and things worked perfectly. Like clockwork we are experiencing the problem again, and it is two - three years later, so I need to take it back again. Hope this helps someone!