1997 Mercury Villager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Pathetic isn't harsh enough...
By sprog on 02/10/11 22:04 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Even POS is too mild. Got it in late 2003 with about 80k on it. Did fairly well up until it hit about 150k on it, and it has had issues almost weekly up until now for the last year. CV joints (multiple), quits when hot in summer and running A/C. We replaced almost ever sensor in it - some more than once. Motor mounts keep breaking. Check engine light stayed on so much that IT blew out. Major cooling problems. I'll be GIVING it away for scrap this week, as I'm not dishonest enough to launch this crap vehicle on even my very worst enemy. Most of the front end needs replacing now. Had I taken this thing to the dealer, it would have probably run me about $5-6k in repairs over last year

The Best!!
By Lisa Wilson on 09/15/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Just turned 366,000km. We haven't put any money into this van. Replaced the rear wiper, and usual stuff, but this has been an amazing van! Lots of room. We had to have the quad seats, however, took them out, and left the bench seat in the back. We've always oil guarded, so have very little rust. One of the best vehicles we've ever had!! Five stars!!!

Super Satisfied
By Luis Paris on 02/27/06 12:03 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

I have owned it for 16 months and I have put 40k on it in that time. Very reliable! It is great on the hwy & gets great mileage. Only major mechanical problem has been a bad fuel pump. For a fam. of 4 (2 toddlers) it's great for long travel. I have driven it 600 miles in a day and it never missed a beat. Overdive shifts off at times when shifting into drive or park and my mechanic said since it is a special Merc./Ford/Nissan edition it will be difficult to find the part but not a maj issue. The doors do seem possessed as they lock and unlock indpendently at times, especially the side door. The int. has held up really good. Paint is still in great shape and consider it is Florida veh.