Used 1997 Mercury Villager Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

Pathetic isn't harsh enough...
By sprog

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Even POS is too mild. Got it in late 2003 with about 80k on it. Did fairly well up until it hit about 150k on it, and it has had issues almost weekly up until now for the last year. CV joints (multiple), quits when hot in summer and running A/C. We replaced almost ever sensor in it - some more than once. Motor mounts keep breaking. Check engine light stayed on so much that IT blew out. Major cooling problems. I'll be GIVING it away for scrap this week, as I'm not dishonest enough to launch this crap vehicle on even my very worst enemy. Most of the front end needs replacing now. Had I taken this thing to the dealer, it would have probably run me about $5-6k in repairs over last year

Favorite Features

Not a bad ride under 70 mph. Evidently, they all shake at 70.

Suggested Improvements

It's obvious why they completely rebuilt it. It's a shame that anything this poorly developed was ever allowed to be sold to the public. And yeah - I know it's a Nissan Quest and all, but Ford should be ashamed to have re-marketed it.

Good vehicle for the bucks
By coolvadad

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

After an accident in our Grand Caravan that was totaled, we purchased the Mercury Villager as it's replacement. It has been a great vehicle for our son but does have a slow leak in the a/c unit that operates just for the summer with a freon refill. Recently the starter needed replacing, with a Nissan Quest unit which we were surprised to learn. Overall our experience has been a good one. There is a ceiling leak of water somewhere though.

Favorite Features

Starts unusually well. Old Vehicle though for comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel pump whines while running which scared us at first. Now we are used to it after 5 years or more and another at a gas station told us her's does it too.

Love me Villager
By Oscar Alvarez

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

I now have 165,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Best Mini van I bought. As long as you maintain it well it has not caused any problems whatsoever. Mileage for long trips mostly New York to Florida has been and is still great. Only had to replace wear and tear items here and there. Still drives smoothly and with power. This one American/Japanese venture did pay off only to be stopped few models later as a no money maker. No wonder the company stopped making it. They were losing money on it on parts. Would love for the manufacture to start building them again. But that would never happen. Kia minivans now in my opinion seems to be getting the same direction.

Suggested Improvements

Make it again with updated features.

will never buy another mercury
By rla32409

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

i bought a 97 mercury villager september 25 wth 120k had it for less than 20 days an within those 20 days i needed a new egr valve catalyt converter and my motor blew on me. was lied to about the van by previous owner and dealer where bought very dissapointed in the van it was my first car an my motor blew on the highway while i was driving with my 11 week old son in his caseat in the back

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

absolutely everything

The Best!!
By Lisa Wilson

1997 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Just turned 366,000km. We haven't put any money into this van. Replaced the rear wiper, and usual stuff, but this has been an amazing van! Lots of room. We had to have the quad seats, however, took them out, and left the bench seat in the back. We've always oil guarded, so have very little rust. One of the best vehicles we've ever had!! Five stars!!!