1997 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Pathetic isn't harsh enough...
By sprog on 02/10/11 22:04 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Even POS is too mild. Got it in late 2003 with about 80k on it. Did fairly well up until it hit about 150k on it, and it has had issues almost weekly up until now for the last year. CV joints (multiple), quits when hot in summer and running A/C. We replaced almost ever sensor in it - some more than once. Motor mounts keep breaking. Check engine light stayed on so much that IT blew out. Major cooling problems. I'll be GIVING it away for scrap this week, as I'm not dishonest enough to launch this crap vehicle on even my very worst enemy. Most of the front end needs replacing now. Had I taken this thing to the dealer, it would have probably run me about $5-6k in repairs over last year

Good vehicle for the bucks
By coolvadad on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

After an accident in our Grand Caravan that was totaled, we purchased the Mercury Villager as it's replacement. It has been a great vehicle for our son but does have a slow leak in the a/c unit that operates just for the summer with a freon refill. Recently the starter needed replacing, with a Nissan Quest unit which we were surprised to learn. Overall our experience has been a good one. There is a ceiling leak of water somewhere though.

Love me Villager
By Oscar Alvarez on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

I now have 165,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Best Mini van I bought. As long as you maintain it well it has not caused any problems whatsoever. Mileage for long trips mostly New York to Florida has been and is still great. Only had to replace wear and tear items here and there. Still drives smoothly and with power. This one American/Japanese venture did pay off only to be stopped few models later as a no money maker. No wonder the company stopped making it. They were losing money on it on parts. Would love for the manufacture to start building them again. But that would never happen. Kia minivans now in my opinion seems to be getting the same direction.

will never buy another mercury
By rla32409 on 10/07/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

i bought a 97 mercury villager september 25 wth 120k had it for less than 20 days an within those 20 days i needed a new egr valve catalyt converter and my motor blew on me. was lied to about the van by previous owner and dealer where bought very dissapointed in the van it was my first car an my motor blew on the highway while i was driving with my 11 week old son in his caseat in the back

The Best!!
By Lisa Wilson on 09/15/09 22:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Cargo Minivan

Just turned 366,000km. We haven't put any money into this van. Replaced the rear wiper, and usual stuff, but this has been an amazing van! Lots of room. We had to have the quad seats, however, took them out, and left the bench seat in the back. We've always oil guarded, so have very little rust. One of the best vehicles we've ever had!! Five stars!!!

97 Villager
By G4 on 06/07/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

We've owned our van for 3 years now and have only minor complaints. It's been very reliable and pretty fun to drive. Wish it had more power though, sluggish up hills, brakes feel too soft too. Little things like cup holders getting stuck, rear wiper blade getting stuck, and the sliding door having issues with the lock sticking. The air conditiong just went out but just needs new freon, gotta figure it might being its 12 years old now. It has lots of room, we can store so much in it with the seats out and folded foward. We can haul our trailer with it and have the cargo carrier on top. Mechanically it's been pretty sound.

1997 Mercury Villager (Reliable)
By latasha1130 on 04/10/09 12:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

I bought a used and really clean Mercury Villager van with 134,000 miles on it in early '05, drove until it had 168,000 miles on it when I sold it. I should have kept it =( Best car I've ever had.I rate it 9 out of 10. Only thing I would change is the trunk space, I wish it was much larger. Even though I was wreckless with the maintenance on the van it was extremely reliable. (people keep up with regular maintenance needless to say) The only problem I had was to replace the wiper motor, a cv ball joint or something to that effect, new tires, the door locks were trouble 2 Many family members wanted to but this van because they knew it was so reliable. 1,000 or so mall trips we took together

Great Van
By 97 Villager on 07/25/08 21:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager Nautica 3dr Minivan

We have 251,000 miles on our Villager. It has been a great van for us. Very reliable engine and transmission. The only part of the van that caused us trouble was the hardware such as the locks.

Great minivan
By dave on 05/19/08 07:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

While not as large as some of its competitors, the Villager scores big with fun to drive and reliability. Now with 157,000 miles and still drives like new. No squeaks or groans and as reliable as rain...oops, make that death and taxes. I wish they still made this van as I would buy another just like it if/when that day ever comes when this one fails.

Larry's Merc evaluation
By Larry on 07/13/07 17:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

Nice vehicle to drive. Handles well in all types of weather. Handles full load with power to spare. Great gas mileage. I highly recommend this vehicle.