1996 Mercury Villager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
Nice but...
By Lin on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

Bought new...very dependable for many years but started breaking down constantly after 10 years and only 75K miles. Great for transporting small children and doing some light hauling. Middle and rear seats too heavy and hard to move. Window vent openers cheaply made and broke constantly even with little use. Engine OK but lacks punch, and transmission fine. Great visibility a plus. Rear A/C fan squeaked and emitted damp odor which dealer couldn't identify and fix.

The Best
By Randy on 02/07/10 06:11 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

I went from an 83 F-250 to this minivan after having to be in a wheelchair everyday and I could not have picked a better unit. It has been the best vehicle we have ever owned in every category used to test a family vehicle, so much so that we also purchased a 99 Villager Estate. Even today with 193k miles it runs & looks as well as the day we picked it up used as a lease return inside and out even the drivers seat shows very little wear. Other than normal service we have had to replace the floor mats as the drivers side one finally wore thru. It is just the best daily driver vehicle I have had in 45 years of driving period. Ford needs to bring this back updated for our times.

Great van!
By Janis on 08/17/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan Nautica 3dr Minivan

Leased our '96 Nautica '95 for 2 years and then bought it. It has been the best designed car we have ever owned. My husband has a 2008 Highlander, which he is very happy with, yet, it cannot haul as much cargo, is not as versatile, nor as comfortable for 7 people as the Villager. MPG in new cars has barely improved over the Villager after 14 years. But after 150,000 miles, the transmission is going out and other expensive things (locks, CD player, possibly air bags-- since light goes on)I hate to see it go. Wish they would still make it with the quality they made it then (plus a second slide door not yet available in 1996). Nautica drives like a luxury sedan with a height that is safer.

230,000 miles and running like new
By Jonathan Brown on 02/12/09 20:13 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This has been a great van. I have only had it for 5,000 miles thus far but I have only had to replace a belt and I will have to soon replace the tierods, but the engine runs perfect, the tranny shifts perfect, the engine is quiet, and it starts perfect every time! The way this thing runs you would never know it has 230,000 miles. I go up to see my girlfriend and my baby over 50 miles away and it provides a comfortable and enjoying ride. I love this van and i will continue to drive it as long as it is running.

Good Minivan
By Judge on 12/09/08 16:42 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was a very good deal at $1000 even though it had 160,000 miles when purchased. The Nissan drive train is very good and the high mileage didn't scare me. It was fixed up as per state inspection requirements and on the road for $1500. The handling and ride are very good for a van, and even with a few quirks it is a good choice.

Outstanding Van
By SteveB on 10/22/08 20:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

Bought this van nearly seven years ago with about 50,000 miles on it. It now has 166,000. Other than regular wear items (tires, brakes, struts etc.) the distributor was replaced around 100,000 and the exhaust manifold bolts on the firewall side were replaced shortly before that. It's an outstanding van. I would buy one again given the chance.

Beats Walking
By jet2work on 08/28/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

Bought this mini van used with 53K I have put over 110K on it and it has been relatively trouble free. Here are the things that I have replaced (mostly wear items) alternator, struts, shocks, brakes (rotors and drums), cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Note I have not replaced the timing belt yet (I thought it had a chain until recently). The rear heater/ AC went out. It is actually a common problem with the control in the dash. The relay for the rear control de-solders itself from the pc board and is an easy obvious fix (now that you know where to look). So if you find a Villager with the rear AC out don't be scared off. Also the doors do lock themselves. This is a con

Ressurect the Villager
By Ev on 04/24/07 16:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Because my Villager LS is 11 years old I looked around for a vehicle that was a superb as this Villager. Nothing handles as well nor has the appointments that this beautiful vehicle has. I say to Bill Ford resurrect a super vehicle instead of trying to invent a new one! This vehicle is by far above any that I have looked at in the same class. I will run this vehicle until it rusts out or cannot be repaired anymore.

Family of Five
By sbddmd1 on 03/14/07 09:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

This van has been one of the best purchases yet. In three years of owning this vehicle we put over 70k on it and the only major repair was new ball joints ($500) and ac compressor ($450). I would recommend this vehicle to anyone starting a family. Decent gas mileage for a "mini van" there is just enough room for my wife and I, along with our three children ages 7,5 and 3.

Never thought i would own one
By Chris on 01/28/07 17:38 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

This twin to the Nissan Quest is really a good vehicle. I bought it with 101,000 miles on it. I needed to have the trans rebuilt right after I bought it (went from 1st to 4th gear) cost a lot ($1800) to be rebuilt,but it has been good since. It really is quick. I went from an Audi A41.8t Quattro 5 speed to this. It has lots of power, antilock brakes work great. Got totaled, air bags did not deploy, but I didn't get hurt. I am buying a used 99 or 2000. I like the cargo/people space that it has to offer. Looks like a soccer Mom's car, but I'm now a Grandpa..LOL.I feel it is a good safe, reliable car. Lots of power and everybody is comfortable in it!! Rear A/c heat control did break.