Used 1996 Mercury Villager Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

Nice but...
By Lin

1996 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

Bought new...very dependable for many years but started breaking down constantly after 10 years and only 75K miles. Great for transporting small children and doing some light hauling. Middle and rear seats too heavy and hard to move. Window vent openers cheaply made and broke constantly even with little use. Engine OK but lacks punch, and transmission fine. Great visibility a plus. Rear A/C fan squeaked and emitted damp odor which dealer couldn't identify and fix.

Removable seat comes in handy. Van is easy to see out of and low back end makes for easy loading.

Have had to duct tape passenger side windows as fasteners kept breaking. Needs sturdier attachment. I'm not sure how people got over 100K miles, mine is costing me a lot to keep fixing even with routine maintenance performed.

The Best
By Randy

1996 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

I went from an 83 F-250 to this minivan after having to be in a wheelchair everyday and I could not have picked a better unit. It has been the best vehicle we have ever owned in every category used to test a family vehicle, so much so that we also purchased a 99 Villager Estate. Even today with 193k miles it runs & looks as well as the day we picked it up used as a lease return inside and out even the drivers seat shows very little wear. Other than normal service we have had to replace the floor mats as the drivers side one finally wore thru. It is just the best daily driver vehicle I have had in 45 years of driving period. Ford needs to bring this back updated for our times.

Removable 2nd row seat and multi position 3rd row seat No deep well in the rear floor allowing my wheelchair to be loaded easier.

More horsepower mostly because I can not think of anything it needs and maybe a bit longer wheel base to allow carrying longer items when needed and a sport package for those that want a tricked out minivan.

Great van!
By Janis

1996 Mercury Villager Nautica 3dr Minivan

Leased our '96 Nautica '95 for 2 years and then bought it. It has been the best designed car we have ever owned. My husband has a 2008 Highlander, which he is very happy with, yet, it cannot haul as much cargo, is not as versatile, nor as comfortable for 7 people as the Villager. MPG in new cars has barely improved over the Villager after 14 years. But after 150,000 miles, the transmission is going out and other expensive things (locks, CD player, possibly air bags-- since light goes on)I hate to see it go. Wish they would still make it with the quality they made it then (plus a second slide door not yet available in 1996). Nautica drives like a luxury sedan with a height that is safer.

Luxurious ride, dependability, visibility, versatility, upgraded sound package is wonderful. Recommend captain chairs as it allows walk-thru design from front of car to third row.

Chairs slide very little for third row access, and are heavy to remove, but there is enough versatility with fold- down and forward third row for plenty of cargo without removing them. Get the later models with two side-sliding doors.

230,000 miles and running like new
By Jonathan Brown

1996 Mercury Villager LS 3dr Minivan

This has been a great van. I have only had it for 5,000 miles thus far but I have only had to replace a belt and I will have to soon replace the tierods, but the engine runs perfect, the tranny shifts perfect, the engine is quiet, and it starts perfect every time! The way this thing runs you would never know it has 230,000 miles. I go up to see my girlfriend and my baby over 50 miles away and it provides a comfortable and enjoying ride. I love this van and i will continue to drive it as long as it is running.

I think the lights inside the vehicle are pretty and the radio sounds awesome! It's cool that it will not lock on you if you have the key in the ignition. The heat works great. I love how the seats move around in the back! They move so you have plenty of room for whatever reason you need more room.

I would have liked a CD player but this is only a 1996.

Good Minivan
By Judge

1996 Mercury Villager LS 3dr Minivan

This vehicle was a very good deal at $1000 even though it had 160,000 miles when purchased. The Nissan drive train is very good and the high mileage didn't scare me. It was fixed up as per state inspection requirements and on the road for $1500. The handling and ride are very good for a van, and even with a few quirks it is a good choice.