Used 1994 Mercury Villager Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercury Villager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:

308K miles and still going strong
By mac_daddy

1994 Mercury Villager LS 3dr Minivan

Car is super reliable, and always starts. Changed catalytic converter at 280K miles. Still passes smog with super clean numbers. Great for highway travel. Goes down the road straight. Solid feel. Good visibility all around. Changed oil every 3,000 miles. Can do all my own maintenance. Love this vehicle.

The best engine I've ever had for changing spark plugs. Other minivans I've owned cost extra to change #6 plug. This is easy breezy. Good brakes, good handling, mileage between 22 and 24 mpg. Lots of storage behind third seat. Holds a ton. Roof rack for extra storage. Storage bin under front passenger seat. Big glove compartment. Rear window vents open with driver's overhead switches. Strong Nissan 3.0 six-cylinder engine needs minimal maintenance, pulls strong, even with a lot of miles. Easy to work on vehicle. Front seat belts electric. Never got a "no seat belt" ticket.

A/C hose, gas smells in winter, CV axles, were all minor problems and easy to fix. New radiator and cooling fan replaced at 290K miles. Has the OBDII plug, but not 100% compatible. Good for troubleshooting though. Hard to climb over middle seat to back seat. Spare tire well has room for full size spare, but only came with temporary spare. Factory sunvisors break easily and are hard to find. Electric seat belt motor slowing down. Head liner coming loose at windshield.

So Far, So Good
By ChiliDog

1994 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

I just got this Van but it is a joy to drive. Very comfortable. The Engine light everyone complains about is warning you that you are loading the engine in overdrive. It has a safety feature (read the manual) that modifies transmission settings to protect the engine when going up hill. Just push the little button and it will stay off. Overdrive is more for the long flat highways. The transmission will disable overdrive if you lug the engine requiring you to stop and turn off the vehicle to reset it. I love it and plan to have it a long time. It has real metal in it. Nissan engines are good for about 325,000 miles if you keep the oil changed ever 3k.

Driver's seat is great, handles like a sports car. I have a bad back and it loves this Van. I had a 240sx with the 2 mode transmission and I like the placement of the controls. Makes it very easy to adjust while driving.

I will agree with the guy that said it could use a few more floor lights. Although I still haven't checked to make sure they might be there and just need a bulb. Those lights are cheap and easy to mount under the dash anyway.

Best Car We Have Ever Owned
By TN Folks

1994 Mercury Villager GS 3dr Minivan

We've taken this mini van all over the US, some times pulling a light camper trailer. We took out the 3rd seat and get about 23 MPG for city driving. Van has needed very few repairs -- had to replace air conditioner is about all. Rolling over 200,000 and hate to get a different car. Wish it was still being made. Can't find another car that we'd like.

Exterior finish held up well. Excellent gas mileage. Versatile for passengers or cargo.

Often wished for a 4th door.

My Mercury Villager
By JDBISUZU

1994 Mercury Villager LS 3dr Minivan

This van was my first car when i was 16. It has been very reliable when my parents bought it in 94. It was also a fun car to drive around. I wish i did not have to sell it. I will always remember that car.

Comfort, ride quality, the smell of gasoline when you exit the vehicle.

Use a larger engine or less weight to increase performance.

Had one for 15 years!
By charles

1994 Mercury Villager LS 3dr Minivan

I've had one for 15 years and love it! Still going strong, but I replaced the Transmission after 150000 miles because I was towing a camper around. It has 188,000 miles, and it just now is beginning to show some rust in one wheel well.well.

all digital dash, sunroof, rear tailgate window opens.

none