1993 Mercury Villager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Villager model:
April 1993 Manufacture Date
By magggiepi on 08/22/14 18:21 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle off Craigslist in 2010 for less than $800. Sure I had to replace the muffler, and get the brakes done all around, but other than the time I left the map-light on and drained my battery this champion has started every time I have turned the key. Are car age years like dog age years? If 21 human years is my Villagers age, then my van is nearly 150 and still going strong!

This Car Will Not Die
By V Magz on 01/30/10 11:28 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This car has been in my family since 1996. I got it as my first car, and if I never had to buy another car, I wouldn't. It's great in snow, decent mileage for a big van, built like a TANK. 240k miles and it's running like a champ. The only major repair it's needed is a replaced timing belt...because my dad forgot to replace it...but it lasted twice as long as it was supposed to! Also, I don't know how many miles I put on it per year. 40k is just a guess. My parents gave it to me about four years ago.

Great car
By Gerry on 12/05/09 16:36 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

LS with leather & rear bucket seats. Bought new in 93. Without a doubt the best vehicle I have owned. Still running strong at 386,500 miles. Trans shifts better than our new Odyssey. Engine has had only normal maintenance. Timing belt replaced at 219k & 375k. Also at 375k replaced all hoses and belts, and relamped some instrument lights. Previously 1 strut replaced, both half-shafts, 1 exhaust sys, front rotors. Gets 25-26 mpg on the hwy & 21-23 around town. We have bought 2 new vehicles since my wife 'retired' this car in 03. Our Acura TL is a great car, and the 07 Odyssey is a pleasure on the hwy with passengers, but I still rather be driving the Villager if it is just my wife & I.

Crazy bout' a Mercury
By mama2tsj on 05/26/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

I bought my van to accommodate our growing family. Very luxurious inside overall, especially when you used to drive an 87 Accord. My cruise control never worked(bought in 2003/2nd owner) and the check engine light was on. Didn't notice any problems, so never had it checked. Few weeks ago had to have the O2 sensor replaced and the light went off. Imagine that, 6 years and never a problem. Exhaust manifold bolts are cracked or sheared and AC has to be recharged every 1 or 2 summers. Other than that, it's been great. I hope to keep it for many more years and you know what?......I'm pretty sure I'll be able to!

Hard to find a replacement
By Charlie on 05/18/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I bought used with 41000 miles. The timing belt was replaced at 88000 and 150000 miles. Radiator and fuel pump and water pump replaced 145000 miles then the usual tires brakes etc. The shocks and struts were replaced 188000 miles. I have looked hard for a replacement that is as comfortable and reliable as this van. Settled on a used Volvo XC90.

The Pimp Van
By ads13131 on 11/18/08 15:08 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

It has been a great van since we've owned it. A couple of repairs to the body and this van was good to go. It came with evey option available from Ford except for leather seats. I love that they used a Nissan engine and transmission. I also know this engine was used in cars like the Maxima and the 300ZX. We also have a '94 Villager GS that we use, it is also a very good van.

My Favorite Car
By Great Van on 03/27/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought our Villager new when the kids were still in pre-school. It now has 209,000 miles and it has never broken down on the road. It still has no rust. We've had many long-distance trips in comfort and the power in the engine is just fine. When we drive in the mountains, I don't notice any power redution still. I love to drive this car. Many of the plastic parts on the interior have broken though and the electronic seat belt motor is slowing down. I love the electronic dashboard and the keyless entry on the door has been really convenient. I like the side headlights(watching for deer, and reading street signs at night). Lots of space and comfortable seats. Dual air conditioning was nice

Goodbye Old Friend!
By Tami in Boise on 04/19/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought in '99 with 99k miles on it. Paid $7k and drove for 8 years will a few repairs, now has 194k miles and I think "What a great minivan." The Mercury/Nissan served us well. The engine is still strong at nearly 200k miles, though it has developed some strange electrical issues. Repairs we made include 1 new rebuilt tranny, ignition switch, axle and CV Boot, tires and brakes. 8 years of no car payments, few repairs, I can't complain!

Reliable but lack power
By eric on 02/26/07 21:11 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I am the original owner of villager. Had rebuilt transmission at 75,000. Had mileage close to 30 highway and about 19 city. No other problem so far. One drawback: the car lacks power and not much luggage room. As car ages, the engine appears noisier.

It keeps on truckin
By GP on 12/28/06 14:18 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Villager Minivan GS 3dr Minivan

In my view, this was a much underrated vehicle by Mercury. I don't think they marketed it correctly, nor widely enough in the market. It was (and still is) a perfect size for my needs...not too large to be a "lumbering big boat on the road" but large enough to carry lots of passengers(up to 7) or cargo. Great design on seat stowage. Take out the middle seat, slide the back seat forward and you have a 5 passenger vehicle with lots of room to stow behind. Need more stowage room? Fold up the rear seat and slide it in rails full forward up against the front seats. A great looking and performing vehicle with 145,000 Miles and still going strong. It rides & sounds better than my 99 Villager!