1999 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Tracer LS (4 spd Auto)
By rainbowracer93 on 12/11/11 19:45 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Bought as a repo for $500, at the time it was 3 different colors and had almost no muffler left. Had the car for over 2 years, and stuck a ton of money into it, but overall its probably the best car for the money I've ever owned. Acceleration sucks, ride quality is below average. Love the blue color and styling. Averaged about 33 mpg, once got 42 mpg on the hwy. Although it defined the word "beater", the car served me well through 2 WI winters, and the h*ll of a teenage boy driver, and it will be missed

It's been my baby
By Sarah on 01/18/10 13:41 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

This was also my first car...I've had it for about four years now. I agree with all of the other positive reviews. This car has been almost totally reliable and have had few and far fetched problems with it. Overall its been a great car!

ugh, this car
By rayne on 08/15/09 20:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Ok, i've had this car for a few years now, engine wise, short of alternator and serpentine belt, no problem. Gets good mileage on highway, starts when ye need it to, maybe a little grumpy about it in the winter, but starts. body wise, problem problem problem, to the point of safety issue, and i mean brakes. My emergency brake gets fixed (at different garages) a couple times a year, it hangs up, locks the tire, breaks, etc. Most recently my other brakes froze up, causing yet another expensive repair. If you have a thousand a year to spare to keep this car in safe running condition, go for it.

Great Car
By borgward on 06/08/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

My girlfriend bought it on her own. I was very impressed from the beginning. She gave it to me after 3 years when she bought a Toyota Corolla as the Tracer was no longer available. The interior and exterior still look almost brand new. 5 speed manual. 28 MPG once, 45 MPG once, 34 to 37 in town. I get 39mpg at 75 to 85 MPH w/AC on the Hwy. 170000+ miles. The repairs have been power steering hose, recommended timing belt replacement and recently the alternator. Oh After we had the car 1 day the r headlamp receptacal had to be replaced, and replaced 2 more times. The headlight housings started turning opaque after the first year. Would like station wagon w/5 speed manual.

It grows on you
By wardwoo on 01/09/09 22:49 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from the dealership my brother works for. He found and researched it for me, decided it was a decent choice for my current situation. Thank you bro! It's already payed for itself in more ways than one. Great buy for the money and reliable as can can be. No problems so far other than the check engine light (duh, check everything and if nothing's wrong ignore it, it's just a new light on your dash) great gas mileage, decent handling, gets through snow awesome for some reason (have a 5- speed) and can do a 1 turn on a one way street (or side walk) get it? Don't feel wronged if you purchase one. Just check your fluids and you'll be fine, just like any maintenance car work.

OK
By msmar on 07/23/08 08:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this as a used car. The sensor is going on it which makes it really frustrating. It was very nice until the engine light came on and the sensor was the issue. Seems the sensor thing is an ongoing issue for most owners. I have 1 child and we need something reliable. Hope it all works out with a good mechanic.

1999 Tracer Wagon
By lindajp6 on 08/12/07 21:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

This car is fun to drive, can park anywhere, and it has get up and go. Great gas mileage, 38 miles per gallon. No problems with this car, only neg thing is the seats are not comfortable for me since I have back problems. Otherwise this car is great!

Excellent! Love my Tracer!
By Ms. Kitty on 08/06/07 17:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Other than paying more than true market value I love my Tracer! I primarily purchased my Tracer for fuel economy. And I have to admit...color. Red! I don't understand why consumers didn't like the Tracer!! It's a great little car! The designers could have done better with the leg space in the back seat. Very poor there. But all and all I give it a thumbs up, a high-5, and a 10! Thank you Mercury!

Reliable
By gene on 11/06/06 08:29 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this former loaner car from dealership. Dealership lied, it had been in rear end accident. I paid cash and bought this as a "beater" car for on the road sales. I never intended to keep it long. But, this car has been awesome. NO problems. I have had a love hate affair with it since purchase. I am now looking to replace it, and as much as I want a new vehicle, I will miss this car due to its reliability. It owes me nothing and delivered far more quality for the $ than I ever expected.

Summer
By Summer on 10/26/06 21:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

This car is very comfortable. Has air bags and a cd player along with am/fm radio. I never had any problems with the other than a loose ground wire and my heating leaking at one time. Both problems were fixed. It's still in excellent condition on the outside. On the inside, it's got a few stains in the floor carpet due to my heating core.