Used 1999 Mercury Tracer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:

Tracer LS (4 spd Auto)
By rainbowracer93

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Bought as a repo for $500, at the time it was 3 different colors and had almost no muffler left. Had the car for over 2 years, and stuck a ton of money into it, but overall its probably the best car for the money I've ever owned. Acceleration sucks, ride quality is below average. Love the blue color and styling. Averaged about 33 mpg, once got 42 mpg on the hwy. Although it defined the word "beater", the car served me well through 2 WI winters, and the h*ll of a teenage boy driver, and it will be missed

Gas Mileage, Power Acsesories

Automatic Transmission constantly needed attention, as did front suspension. Remarkably easy to work on, however.

It's been my baby
By Sarah

1999 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

This was also my first car...I've had it for about four years now. I agree with all of the other positive reviews. This car has been almost totally reliable and have had few and far fetched problems with it. Overall its been a great car!

It's sturdy! I've gotten rear ended as well as rear ending someone else and its held up like a champion. I named my car Frank the Tank because of this.

Seats seem very comfortable at first but are kind of sunken in and for this cause me to have back pain.

ugh, this car
By rayne

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Ok, i've had this car for a few years now, engine wise, short of alternator and serpentine belt, no problem. Gets good mileage on highway, starts when ye need it to, maybe a little grumpy about it in the winter, but starts. body wise, problem problem problem, to the point of safety issue, and i mean brakes. My emergency brake gets fixed (at different garages) a couple times a year, it hangs up, locks the tire, breaks, etc. Most recently my other brakes froze up, causing yet another expensive repair. If you have a thousand a year to spare to keep this car in safe running condition, go for it.

I like how it looks, i like how it drives, i like the power it has, which is good for a four cylinder.

BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Car
By borgward

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

My girlfriend bought it on her own. I was very impressed from the beginning. She gave it to me after 3 years when she bought a Toyota Corolla as the Tracer was no longer available. The interior and exterior still look almost brand new. 5 speed manual. 28 MPG once, 45 MPG once, 34 to 37 in town. I get 39mpg at 75 to 85 MPH w/AC on the Hwy. 170000+ miles. The repairs have been power steering hose, recommended timing belt replacement and recently the alternator. Oh After we had the car 1 day the r headlamp receptacal had to be replaced, and replaced 2 more times. The headlight housings started turning opaque after the first year. Would like station wagon w/5 speed manual.

Sports car handling. Fold down back seats. Good basic sound system. Good Mileage. 5 speed manual. Good performance. Cruises effortlessly at 100 mph.

Hate the radio buttons. Hard to determine which is which w/o taking eyes off the road. Better plastic in the headlight housings that dont go opaque. Timing chain instead of belt replacement every 60000 miles.

It grows on you
By wardwoo

1999 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from the dealership my brother works for. He found and researched it for me, decided it was a decent choice for my current situation. Thank you bro! It's already payed for itself in more ways than one. Great buy for the money and reliable as can can be. No problems so far other than the check engine light (duh, check everything and if nothing's wrong ignore it, it's just a new light on your dash) great gas mileage, decent handling, gets through snow awesome for some reason (have a 5- speed) and can do a 1 turn on a one way street (or side walk) get it? Don't feel wronged if you purchase one. Just check your fluids and you'll be fine, just like any maintenance car work.

Smooth clutch and bang for the buck handling. Best brakes I've seen in this size of car. It'll get through snow for those of you who can't work a shovel.

Same as everyone else. Trunk pop.