1998 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
239000 +++
By orangecrush2x on 12/02/12 19:20 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

love this car! she has been a saint since i got her at 140000 in 2006 & 130000, i have been able to depend on her. recently (since mid 2012) she has been cutting off and i have replaced SEVERAL different things... i want to give up on her but she keeps giving me reasons not to...

1998 tracer wagon 5spd
By rvanderaa on 09/02/12 13:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this 1998 Tracer Wagon new in 1998. It has been one of the most economical cars I have owned. It had a few items fixed under warranty. The only non warrantee items I have fixed are the PCV valve and hose, an alternator and some normal maintenance items such as plugs, shocks, tires 1 set of brakes. The car now has 180K miles and still runs strong. It burns no oil, and still has the original clutch. It never got less than 30 MPG, it would average 33 and occasionally would get 40 mpg if you drove a whole tank at 55 mph. I would still be driving the car but a large tree fell on it. I did jack the roof back up and put a back hatch on it and my daughter still drives it. The only complaint I had with it was the cabin noise was a little high, but not any more than any of the other cars in its price range. It was a great car and I was sad to see it go. I bought an 2006 Infiniti G35 to replace it and while it is a fine car, I have spent more on maintenance on it in one year that I did the 12 years I owned the Tracer.

98 tracer
By stoman on 01/31/12 16:17 PM (PST)

over 200,000 miles still going strong

Not a quality vehicle
By Aidan on 05/29/10 10:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Tracer used with 75k on the clock in excellent mechanical/physical condition confirmed by a trusted shop. By 96k the car was dead and I'm far from an aggressive driver nor do I abuse my vehicles. A/C went at 78k as did the Idle Air Valve, timing belt went at 83k, tie rods went at 94k etc! This was with me ensuring regular maintenance, oil/lube, tire rotations the whole lot. In the end what killed this car and my wallet along the way was build quality and bad engineering. The final nail in the coffin for this car was when it dropped a valve seat which apparently they like to do around 100k due to "an engineering defect". Thanks Ford this is now why I drive a Nissan! :-)

195,000 as still going
By Trace on 04/28/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car. It has great mileage. It is easy to service. It handles well in snow.

Love my little car
By dolphin on 07/01/08 23:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

My car was a demo when we bought it. It has been a very good car and I plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off. It's fun to drive, and it has enough of power underneath the hood that I can have some fun with it. It has been a tough little car and as long as it gets me where I need to go then I will continue driving it.

Lnyx
By Jaze on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is a excellent Car.

Good Car
By No One on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

Great car with great gas mileage. I have only 27,00 miles on it, and its still going strong. Only minor repairs needed, as standard maintenance.

100,000 and still going strong!
By adliong on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

i have owned 5 cars before, and this tracer is my first american car, i was a bit doubtful when my friend told me that this was a very reliable car, so i did some research and he was right! JD Powers and MSN both say the same thing! this baby just keeps going! the only major repair i've done is a $30 outer tire rod replacement plus installation.

Tracers are Good
By Manawski on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I have had my Tracer LS Sport for nearly a year, and I have no problems with it. It performs well enough for a car that isn't supposed to perform well. It gets me where I want to go, and does a good job of it.