1997 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Loved it from 2 miles to 150,000 ...
By girl from va on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

This new car was a present for my 16th birthday in 1996. I drove that poor car as hard as possible from day one, and, other than oil changes, one set of new tires and new brakes, HAD NO PROBLEMS UNTIL 135,000 MILES!!!! Amazing for a car of this price. Anyway, at 135K I replaced the (original!) battery at a non-dealership venue, and after that the speedometer & odometer d/n work. I do have to say, it's crazy to read horrible maintenance reviews of cars that retail for 2x-3x the original price of my Tracer when I was problem free for 6.5 years of hard driving. I will miss my Tracer!

No Luck with this car
By Gettinganewcar on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Mercury, Tracer 97 with 18,000 miles. After about a year and a half, I had engine work done to it. Which cost me an arm and a leg. Then another year later, I had to get a new tranmisssion at 50,000 miles. If you guy can avoid buying a ford car do it!! If you have it sell it. Ford did not do a good job with the tracer, that's why they stopped making it so fast. I am selling mine and getting a car that will last.

extremely underrated
By Pappa Smurf on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

i don't know why people insist on downplaying all american models when compared to foreign models. this thing is zippy for 110hp and this car has given me no problems other than routine maintenance and parts are dirt cheap. bought at 35k and now 80k solid as a rock - a real road trip car. if you have a kid going to college, make this a grad gift.

A Life Saved
By Hunter7247 on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

My Daughter was hit "Head on" by another driver going 60 MPH. She walked away with scrapes and bruises. The Air Bag and vehicle design Saved her young Life. God Bless the engineers at Ford Motor Company. It really does work. Excuse me I need to go buy another Ford Car...

love my wagon!
By jcubed on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

We've owned this car for 5 years & the only extra money that we've put out is for new tires & brake service. That's gotta be good enough to satisfy anybody. Back in '97 I thought about getting an import & Ford updated the Escort/Tracer just in time to get my attention. I'm happy with my little wagon & intend to keep it for a long time!

Most reliable car I've had
By ericpug on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Tracer in 99 with 17K miles. To date, the only thing I've had to replace was the front driver- side bearing. This has definitely been the most reliable car I've evr owned. I am a Regional Sales Rep in the South- East and even though I am currently at 118K miles, I feel very confident driving up to 4K per month.

Economical to buy - Economical to drive
By bob61 on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the Tracer with Trio package as original owner. With 32,000 miles on it it's only been in the shop once (heater had to be replaced -- under warranty). I purchased this car to go back and forth to the train, it was inexpensive too. However, after owning it for almost 5 years I've found it fun to drive. It handles well, has plenty of pep to get off the line or accelerate on the highway. It handles well, all in all it's been a fun car to drive. Mileage has been good, running in the 25-28 mpg range. It's been reliable and economical to own. My son just started driving and he wanted my car. So it has some eye appeal to boot.

No surprises here!
By Kanaki on 03/01/02 21:42 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

A good, reliable car, with no surprises.