1997 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Great Little Car
By MECrawf on 04/01/08 08:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

This car has been in our family for over 6 years. We have 154000 miles on it and it's still running pretty good. We had to clean out the engine and had mechanical issues around 150000 miles but for the age and mileage it works great.

Good Car
By Kam on 10/10/06 14:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Car was in almost mint condition when I bought it used.(except for higher mileage) I only have two gripes about car: 1. The inside of the car is so small. There is no room for drinks or anything else. 2. There is some sort of trans problem, it hesitates and jerks into 2nd gear. It only happens on occasion and is mild. And it only happens from 1st to 2nd. Other than that its a decent car.

I miss my Tracer!
By maritajan on 08/31/06 12:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

This was the first new car I ever bought. I maintained it regularly, and at 198,000 miles, passed it to my 17 year old daughter this year. The transmission finally went out on the old darling. Except for regular, routine maintenance (brakes, oil changes, etc.), I never had a problem from my pretty Tracer. I miss it. R.I.P. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

fair
By Ed on 01/11/06 21:00 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

the tracer has one problem that no one can seem to correct and that is heavy vibration when stopped at a light in drive.When taken out of gear its pretty good. Most all Auto Mech. say that it's the nature of the beast! Motor mount change out helps a little, but I guess for a little run about over all its not too bad. The vibration is bad though, it is very good on gas mileage and handles well, but if you'er tall, it is horrible getting in and out of it. remember test drive and with the A/C on and see if the Vibration doesn't chane your mind about buying it.

Dependable
By TDF on 11/16/05 14:03 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

I've got 120,000 miles on my car and have had minimal problems. Biggest repair was replacing a corroded electrical harness for about $400 in 2002.

surpassed my expectations
By My oh my! on 09/08/05 01:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

We bought this wagon as our second car/grocery getter because it was listed in Consumer Reports as a recommended used car buy, Edmunds had good things to say about it & (let's face it) it was inexpensive. We've owned it for a couple years now and we've had zero problems with it. It's fun to drive, easy to park & good on gas. My husband was prepared to hate it because it's a "wagon" but he has to admit that it's grown on him. He's commuted to work in it & was pleasantly surprised how well it performed for him. I would definitely buy one of these again!

Great Ford bargain
By Stacy83 on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at a dealer-only auction last fall. I wasn't looking for a sedan, let alone a Ford, but car was in great shape. I placed a low bid on it and won by $50 above the next guy. The automatic transmission does lag a bit and is jerky going into second. The car also makes a strange humming or buzzing sound. But with close to 100k miles, it has held up really well.

Lots of Gusto for an econ
By Woody00 on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car at 98k to go to work and back, weekend work and just kicking around town. It now has 107k & I love it. For a small economy car I'm surprised at it's get up and go power, handling, and comfort. The styling is nice too. The car I have has everything you would want in a car today. Airbags, ABS, A/C, power everything & alloy wheels The model I'm driving is a stick which I don't mind but I'd rather be in an automatic but what do you want for under $2,000. (It's a 97 bought in 02. NOT BAD JACK!!) Only thing I'v had to do w/ this thing is a tune-up and oil changes. (Knock on wood)

Average Car
By whoahhhh on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

The Mercury Tracer of 1997 has been a dramatic improvement from the old 1.9 liter predecessor. Although the 1.8 liter was available from Mazda, in the past, the 2.0 liter has proven to be the best. Although the air conditioning has minor problems and the Purge Flow Sensor on the engine frequently fails. Overall the car is average and provides up to 34mpg highway and a fairly comfortable ride. I reccomend the Trio edition to get added features that make the car look more appealing for resale.

Look somewhere else
By MF on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Had 1997 Tracer for six years, OK car first 3-4 yrs, then bent a rod at 110k miles, dealer estimated cost to repair at $5000+, said if it was not rod then was a damaged crankshft as that was also a common problem of these cars. Car was babied for all six years, oil change every 3000 miles etc, last three years had to put $900+ into repairs. If shopping for used economy car with 60,000 miles then stay away from the Tracer. it is not a reliable car.