Used 1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon - Consumer Reviews

LS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

Good car
By Cam

1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for nine years. Bought it used. It now has over 208,000 miles. Over the years it has required basic wear and tear maintenance. What a miracle of a car!

Reliability.

The Epitome of Economical
By palebeachbum

1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought the car 11yrs. old with 34k miles. As of 7/10/08 the car has 48k miles. It's been an ideal car for me. I work in town, but commute an hour away for college. The car has been very reliable and economical. Maintenance is cheap. It sips fuel. The wagon body style has come in useful on many occasions. The car seems very well built for just being a cheap economy car. The interior is comfortable. It drives pretty nicely. Great brakes. Great steering. Very smooth, yet stable ride. The seats are firm, but seem good for my bad back. For the low initial price and dependable, affordable service that follows, this is a great choice in used economy cars of this age.

Fuel economy, driving dynamics (brakes, steering, handling, ride), affordability to buy and keep up.

Cup holders in console are completely useless. Too shallow. No in-dash CD player offered by Ford. Aftermarket units look dreadful in this car. No center armrest on the upscale LS trim? Monotone grey interior is very drab.

Dependable
By TDF

1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I've got 120,000 miles on my car and have had minimal problems. Biggest repair was replacing a corroded electrical harness for about $400 in 2002.

Good gas mileage, dependable.

surpassed my expectations
By My oh my!

1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

We bought this wagon as our second car/grocery getter because it was listed in Consumer Reports as a recommended used car buy, Edmunds had good things to say about it & (let's face it) it was inexpensive. We've owned it for a couple years now and we've had zero problems with it. It's fun to drive, easy to park & good on gas. My husband was prepared to hate it because it's a "wagon" but he has to admit that it's grown on him. He's commuted to work in it & was pleasantly surprised how well it performed for him. I would definitely buy one of these again!

Spunky performance, great mpg, very reliable!

Ford should have kept this model & passed on the Focus.

Lots of Gusto for an econ
By Woody00

1997 Mercury Tracer Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car at 98k to go to work and back, weekend work and just kicking around town. It now has 107k & I love it. For a small economy car I'm surprised at it's get up and go power, handling, and comfort. The styling is nice too. The car I have has everything you would want in a car today. Airbags, ABS, A/C, power everything & alloy wheels The model I'm driving is a stick which I don't mind but I'd rather be in an automatic but what do you want for under $2,000. (It's a 97 bought in 02. NOT BAD JACK!!) Only thing I'v had to do w/ this thing is a tune-up and oil changes. (Knock on wood)

All the up-grated features such as ABS and power all around ext.