Used 1997 Mercury Tracer Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:

Mom loves hers!
By budeth

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Mom loves her Tracer. hers is automatic, but wasnt listed as an option for review. Shes got about 150k on it now and has never really had any major issues mechanically or otherwise. Last month it was running rough. I pinpointed some dry rotted hoses and lines, replaced them, and car runs like new again. Only just recently has it started slipping 1st gear while 1st getting started. After it warms its fine. Trans fluid level is fine, so may be solenoid or filter. Its overdue for that and a flush anyway. Great mpg! Not designed for taller people over 6'. With seat pushed back, I have to stretch my arms straight out to grab the steering wheel. Mom is short tho, so it fits her fine. Good car.

Reliablity, low fuel consumption and costs, good handling for a basic looking compact 4 door sedan, easy to work on, and solidly built for what it is.

Ergonomics for taller drivers, sensitive gas pedal, road noise, poorly designed radio/climate control cluster panel(replaced with aftermarket panel and stereo)

Solid transportation
By rob

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Owned the car since it was new; 5 speed manual. Did replace the clutch, CV joints and alternator twice. Other than that runs like it is new. I got 38 mpg on the interstate last week, driving always 5 mph over the speed limit. Excellent ac, very quick for an older car. It may not look like much, but it has been a great little car. I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, and this stacks right up there with them on quality.

Gas mileage is excellent, A/C very cold never had to recharge it in 13 years

alternators went out twice

Great Vehicle
By Kale

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I am writing this review nearly 10 years after purchasing the Tracer. We have the 4DR LS model and have been extremely pleased with this vehicle. Living in the harsh Minnesota climate and on a gravel road, we have over 220K miles on it and have only had a few expected repairs, nothing major. As newlyweds, we purchased this car hoping to last a few years until we got settled. Little did we know it would be so incredibly reliable. The maintenance and repairs were affordable and easy to do myself. I wish I could find a 2010 Tracer with the same reliability as the 1997. Granted, I could do with a better inside build quality and cup holders that were actually useful. Great, great car.

The reliability, ease of maintenance and repair

better cup holders, better build quality inside

Great
By Great Little Car

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family member and I love it. I replaced the Transmission filter a couple months ago and never had a problem with it since. I drive it everyday and it is awesome. It is my 3rd car and I would buy another one if they still made them.

It is an Automatic, 4 door car. And great around town.

Wished they were a little more leg room in the back sit.

Good car
By Cam

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for nine years. Bought it used. It now has over 208,000 miles. Over the years it has required basic wear and tear maintenance. What a miracle of a car!

Reliability.