1997 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Mom loves hers!
By budeth on 05/16/13 01:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Mom loves her Tracer. hers is automatic, but wasnt listed as an option for review. Shes got about 150k on it now and has never really had any major issues mechanically or otherwise. Last month it was running rough. I pinpointed some dry rotted hoses and lines, replaced them, and car runs like new again. Only just recently has it started slipping 1st gear while 1st getting started. After it warms its fine. Trans fluid level is fine, so may be solenoid or filter. Its overdue for that and a flush anyway. Great mpg! Not designed for taller people over 6'. With seat pushed back, I have to stretch my arms straight out to grab the steering wheel. Mom is short tho, so it fits her fine. Good car.

Solid transportation
By rob on 06/03/10 05:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

Owned the car since it was new; 5 speed manual. Did replace the clutch, CV joints and alternator twice. Other than that runs like it is new. I got 38 mpg on the interstate last week, driving always 5 mph over the speed limit. Excellent ac, very quick for an older car. It may not look like much, but it has been a great little car. I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, and this stacks right up there with them on quality.

Great Vehicle
By Kale on 05/25/10 10:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I am writing this review nearly 10 years after purchasing the Tracer. We have the 4DR LS model and have been extremely pleased with this vehicle. Living in the harsh Minnesota climate and on a gravel road, we have over 220K miles on it and have only had a few expected repairs, nothing major. As newlyweds, we purchased this car hoping to last a few years until we got settled. Little did we know it would be so incredibly reliable. The maintenance and repairs were affordable and easy to do myself. I wish I could find a 2010 Tracer with the same reliability as the 1997. Granted, I could do with a better inside build quality and cup holders that were actually useful. Great, great car.

Great
By Great Little Car on 04/14/10 22:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family member and I love it. I replaced the Transmission filter a couple months ago and never had a problem with it since. I drive it everyday and it is awesome. It is my 3rd car and I would buy another one if they still made them.

Good car
By Cam on 04/02/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for nine years. Bought it used. It now has over 208,000 miles. Over the years it has required basic wear and tear maintenance. What a miracle of a car!

great until it died
By Sal on 01/14/10 08:51 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my tracer in 2004 with 54K miles. It's very basic but was good for local running around. Mileage was about 24 city, 29 hiway. Took good care of it. Mystery problems began at about 100K miles - engine light would go on, codes were checked (minor stuff) and fixed, engine light would stay off for one day or one week (never knew what to expect). Thought it might be the ECM, but it wasn't. About 2 weeks ago it died - valve seat problem. RIP, it was good while it lasted.

great car for the money
By rob on 10/22/09 18:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer GS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for the past 12 years, bought it new. Great little car, very reliable, fantastic gas mileage. This little 4 banger is quick, fun to drive with a manual transmission. I routinely average high 30 MPG range, close to 40 on the highway. GREAT Car, had to replace clutch and alternator twice, but otherwise a great little car

Dull design - but VERY reliable
By Steven on 07/23/09 17:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

bought the car for $2000 and had no problems other than recently in 2008 the rear springs/ shocks have all but given out forcing me to get a new car. it also idles hard with shaking and does not have any passing speed on highway, even with oil/filter/air changes ever 2000 miles, and new spark plugs, cables. paint was pealing off when purchased but has not gotten any worse since. never had a problem starting up in the dead of winter even after sitting around for about a month without a engin turnover. a bit dull on the overall design.

Out There
By is3tj on 09/13/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I just bought A 4DR LS with a brand new engine. It has been the worst car I have ever had. Everything is going wrong. Recall on the airbags, brake pedal loose (lights wont turn off), no A/C useless interior, ugly design. I do realize that this is a old car but it had sat for 4 years before it got a new engine there is no reason it should be like this.

The Epitome of Economical
By palebeachbum on 07/10/08 22:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Wagon

I bought the car 11yrs. old with 34k miles. As of 7/10/08 the car has 48k miles. It's been an ideal car for me. I work in town, but commute an hour away for college. The car has been very reliable and economical. Maintenance is cheap. It sips fuel. The wagon body style has come in useful on many occasions. The car seems very well built for just being a cheap economy car. The interior is comfortable. It drives pretty nicely. Great brakes. Great steering. Very smooth, yet stable ride. The seats are firm, but seem good for my bad back. For the low initial price and dependable, affordable service that follows, this is a great choice in used economy cars of this age.