Used 1997 Mercury Tracer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercury Tracer

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:

Most Helpful|
Dull design - but VERY reliable
By Steven

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

bought the car for $2000 and had no problems other than recently in 2008 the rear springs/ shocks have all but given out forcing me to get a new car. it also idles hard with shaking and does not have any passing speed on highway, even with oil/filter/air changes ever 2000 miles, and new spark plugs, cables. paint was pealing off when purchased but has not gotten any worse since. never had a problem starting up in the dead of winter even after sitting around for about a month without a engin turnover. a bit dull on the overall design.

Favorite Features

great on gas, fluid changes are very easy to access, and very reliable

Suggested Improvements

tape, or cd player would have been great when in locations that don't pick up radio, cruise control

Look somewhere else
By MF

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Had 1997 Tracer for six years, OK car first 3-4 yrs, then bent a rod at 110k miles, dealer estimated cost to repair at $5000+, said if it was not rod then was a damaged crankshft as that was also a common problem of these cars. Car was babied for all six years, oil change every 3000 miles etc, last three years had to put $900+ into repairs. If shopping for used economy car with 60,000 miles then stay away from the Tracer. it is not a reliable car.

No Luck with this car
By Gettinganewcar

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Mercury, Tracer 97 with 18,000 miles. After about a year and a half, I had engine work done to it. Which cost me an arm and a leg. Then another year later, I had to get a new tranmisssion at 50,000 miles. If you guy can avoid buying a ford car do it!! If you have it sell it. Ford did not do a good job with the tracer, that's why they stopped making it so fast. I am selling mine and getting a car that will last.

Great Vehicle
By Kale

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

I am writing this review nearly 10 years after purchasing the Tracer. We have the 4DR LS model and have been extremely pleased with this vehicle. Living in the harsh Minnesota climate and on a gravel road, we have over 220K miles on it and have only had a few expected repairs, nothing major. As newlyweds, we purchased this car hoping to last a few years until we got settled. Little did we know it would be so incredibly reliable. The maintenance and repairs were affordable and easy to do myself. I wish I could find a 2010 Tracer with the same reliability as the 1997. Granted, I could do with a better inside build quality and cup holders that were actually useful. Great, great car.

Favorite Features

The reliability, ease of maintenance and repair

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, better build quality inside

great until it died
By Sal

1997 Mercury Tracer LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my tracer in 2004 with 54K miles. It's very basic but was good for local running around. Mileage was about 24 city, 29 hiway. Took good care of it. Mystery problems began at about 100K miles - engine light would go on, codes were checked (minor stuff) and fixed, engine light would stay off for one day or one week (never knew what to expect). Thought it might be the ECM, but it wasn't. About 2 weeks ago it died - valve seat problem. RIP, it was good while it lasted.