1995 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Best Car I Ever Owned
By HDW on 02/04/07 05:54 AM (PST)

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Trio brand new and she and I have bonded tremendously. She survived rising flood waters (after I only had it for a few months, she survived being rear-ended (the bumper was not damaged at all) and she fared well most recently when we were sitting at a stoplight and were blindsided by a doe on the passenger fender and front passenger door. I thought for sure my insurance company was going to total her but fortunately they spared her. I have kept up with regular maintenance, oil changes, I had both the timing belt and water pump replaced at 50,000 and 100,000 miles and aside from having to recently get my ignition rekeyed THIS CAR HAS BEEN AND CONTINUES TO BE RELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Car
By Dee on 04/12/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 1995 (Trio). Had some minor repairs. Belts, loose heat sheild,etc. Kept up my maintenance. Never left me stranded. Did overheat one time (needed temp thing, cheap) Now my son drives it. Little bit of rust, interior is ok (teenager owned now), gas mileage good. Was not my choice when I bought. But it has taken good care of my family for a long time! And now I wouldn't give it up for nothing. Paid off, cheap repairs, and still runs! Not til it gives up on us. otherwise my daughter will have it next. rather she likes it or not! It is after all 4 moving wheels.

Below Average
By Mecuryburn on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I'd caution against purchasing a Merc that is more than 3 years old. For the first few years, I had no problems whatsoever. The best attribute of the Tracer is that it is cheap. My car finally went after about 5 years of regular usage (also regular maintenance, oil change, etc.)I also had to replace a timing belt, and the air bag partially detonated causing a loud and embarrassing squeak on long turns. Since not all of us are getting a big slice of that mega tax break, perhaps there is still a market left for this vehicle. I'd say if you still have options, look past the Tracer and get your money's worth on a better car.

Bad transmission
By Mehginous on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I bought my tracer in 95 I always took my car to the dealers to get serviced. They messed up my brakes and they told my nothing was wrong with my transmission for 2 years including a week before they told me I would have to pay $3000 to replace the tran, I ended up taking it to mechanic who rebuilt for $1500. Ford\Mercury refused to help pay for my tran. even though I had told them about tran problems while the car was under warrenty the tran broke 2 months after the warrenty ended. I also had an alternator break at about 50k. Despite these problems the tracer has I would say the car's biggest problem has been it manufacuter ford\mercury