1995 Mercury Tracer Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

1995 Tracer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:

Sort Reviews by

1995 Tracer
By roxie353

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1995 Merc Tracer as a demonstrator w/ 12000 miles in August 1995. I drove that car for 11 freakin' years and 120000 miles :-D In fact, I'd probably still be driving it had the head gaskets not gone on it. AND....... even when they DID, I was STILL able to get almost 30000 additional miles out of that Bad Boy!!! This little car is the very definition of "workhorse"!!! Wish I still had mine (as much as I love my 2008 GMC Sierra PU :-P )

Great car
By atwaterdude

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I have done a lot of repair on this car but thats because it was sitting for 3 years in my Grandparents drive way. but once i got it fixed up it was great.. i love the gas millage. and it had a great acceleration and braking.. it got me where i had to go and back and some traveling. i dont regret having it or repairing.. its a great car

Favorite Features

gas mileage, acceleration, nice and small

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Excellent Second Car
By nyyrule4ever

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a second car because I drive a lot and my other car (it's a V8) tends to burn a lot of fuel. I bought this car hoping it would be cheap and reliable transportation and it certainly has lived up to those expectations. It has only had one major problem, and that was mostly my fault. The fuel economy is outstanding. Also, the stereo is a little weak. A cheap upgrade will be in order.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, reliability, and the way the interior of the car has held up.

Suggested Improvements

More power and a better factory stereo.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By HDW

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Trio brand new and she and I have bonded tremendously. She survived rising flood waters (after I only had it for a few months, she survived being rear-ended (the bumper was not damaged at all) and she fared well most recently when we were sitting at a stoplight and were blindsided by a doe on the passenger fender and front passenger door. I thought for sure my insurance company was going to total her but fortunately they spared her. I have kept up with regular maintenance, oil changes, I had both the timing belt and water pump replaced at 50,000 and 100,000 miles and aside from having to recently get my ignition rekeyed THIS CAR HAS BEEN AND CONTINUES TO BE RELIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Although the car is a sedan it has come in handy for Home Depot runs. With the 40/60 split rear seats you can fit 2 x 4's, christmas trees and other items in the car that you would either have to put on the roof or use a truck.

Good cheap car great for students
By Alex

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I have only had this car for 9 months, but so far it has been very good. It does not have a whole lot of power, but it works good with just one or two people. The ride is fairly smooth but acceleration can be a little loud, especially if you are going up a hill. Maintenance wise, the radiator cracked, which is the only thing that I have had to replace that is not regular maintenance(had to change serpetine belt at 75,000 and oild changes,etc.) Gas mileage is good, mine is an automatic and i drive pretty much all city and still get around 22-23 mpg.

Favorite Features

The good gas mileage, low price,economical, so far has been reliable, the rear spoiler and alloy wheels do a lot for this car's appearance,the stereo while not spectacular still provides good sound.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power, just becuase with a lot of people or up hills the car gets sluggish, a fuel warning light would be nice, the automatic seat belts are sort of annoying.

Good Car
By Dee

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since 1995 (Trio). Had some minor repairs. Belts, loose heat sheild,etc. Kept up my maintenance. Never left me stranded. Did overheat one time (needed temp thing, cheap) Now my son drives it. Little bit of rust, interior is ok (teenager owned now), gas mileage good. Was not my choice when I bought. But it has taken good care of my family for a long time! And now I wouldn't give it up for nothing. Paid off, cheap repairs, and still runs! Not til it gives up on us. otherwise my daughter will have it next. rather she likes it or not! It is after all 4 moving wheels.

great little car
By grease mokey

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

smooth riding car with decent acceleration . no mechanical problems at all just rutine maintenance. freezing cold air conditioning!!! GREAT GAS MILEAGE FOR CITY AND HIGHWAY! all around a very nice affordable car

Favorite Features

gas milage cold air conditioning very dependable

Suggested Improvements

none

GREAT!!!
By Miss you

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

This was one of the best cars I have ever owned oe driven. This car never broke down and left me stranted. Very little maintance. I had 180,000= miles when it finally "went". I htink the deal was wanting me to buy a new car. Told me my engine just went. I had it in the shop for a accelerator motor put on and a tune up. Less then a month latter my engine went. It may not have been a $200,000 dollar car but to me it was priceless. I should have gotten a second opinion.

Favorite Features

The confort, gas mileage, overall it was great

Good little car
By Mrs. Brown

1995 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I wanted an economy car. That's exactly what this car is. This car had very little extras, and most everything was manual, not power. I pay very little to keep this car up. Gas mileage is good and the car has only had a couple small repairs, which costed very little. It left me stranded once, but that was because a belt broke, and it was a very cheap fix. It has been very reliable for me. It gets a lot of use but keeps on truckin, needing little more then it's usuall maintenance. It is the only car that I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of.

Favorite Features

I have had no expensive fixes, like I have with the chevy lumina and brand new malibu, ford taurus, and dodge 600.Still looks decent even though it's an old boxy car.

Suggested Improvements

The AC seams to suck power from the car, that needs to be remedied.

Below Average
By Mecuryburn

1995 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I'd caution against purchasing a Merc that is more than 3 years old. For the first few years, I had no problems whatsoever. The best attribute of the Tracer is that it is cheap. My car finally went after about 5 years of regular usage (also regular maintenance, oil change, etc.)I also had to replace a timing belt, and the air bag partially detonated causing a loud and embarrassing squeak on long turns. Since not all of us are getting a big slice of that mega tax break, perhaps there is still a market left for this vehicle. I'd say if you still have options, look past the Tracer and get your money's worth on a better car.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, price.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system weak, appearance somewhat ugly, car is a junky in general