1993 Mercury Tracer Consumer Review: My second Tracer

1993 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My second Tracer
By Natalie on

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

My first tracer was a 1992 wagon and very reliable for the six years I owned it. I junked it at 165,000 when the trans broke but that was totally my fault when I bottomed out in a large pothole. I believe I could of had up to 200,000 miles on that car or more. My second tracer, a 1993 model, bought in Nov. 2003 is a 1.9L engine and I have 140,000 miles on it (I bought it at 99,000 miles). I drove from Michigan to Florida and back a few years ago and I got 35-40 mpg. I get about 25 mpg City. For an old car, that is really good.

The car is very reliable. Cost of repairs and maintenance is very reasonable. The engines on both cars always ran very well and were very quiet. My cars were great at driving thru snow and didn't stall out when driving thru flooded streets.

Exhaust system on this car doesn't last long, about three years. You do have to check your brakes often for wear. The tie rods seem to wear out quickly and my struts need to be replaced (the car is 16 yrs old now). I never had a garage and it is starting to rust above the rear tires.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review