1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
Excellent running car
By tcarn on 04/11/11 14:15 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years now and have 193,000 miles on and still climbing. Have some problems with the transmission occassionally. there is wind sound when driving fast. Also the A/C cuts out occassionally. Overall it drives and handles very well. Very few maintenance problems since I bought it used. I have put on about 80,000 miles. Highly reccommended.

13 years, 200k and still going!
By Pete on 01/06/10 06:24 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

We are trying to decide whether to commit to new tires, but the 1993 Mercury Tracer seems to be running fine after turning over 200k miles. Minor problems, seat belt return doesn't stop seat belt in an easily accessible location anymore. Heater fan and vent system isn't as functional as it used to be. The floor is rusting. This car was in a garage for the first 5-7 years.

Best car to Own
By Kerry on 04/08/09 16:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

This car has proven an excetional value. Extreme reliabilty , fit and finish. This little car seems to run "forever". Excellent ride, easy to work on, durable and quiet. We have owned this car for 16 years. We wverage 30 to 33 mpq. This is a 5 speed.

Very good car
By Tracerowner on 08/31/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought the car brand new in 1993. It now has 152,000 miles on it. The only major problem has been the AC compressor and a radiator leak. The best thing about it is the gas mileage. On the interstate it's 36 MPG. It ain't no speed demon but keeps up with traffic nicely. Idle's rough but moves along normally. Economically, best car I ever had. Replaced radiator. Now, no leaks, uses no oil, very dependable.

Very Reliable And Fun Little Wagon
By KRIS on 08/28/07 18:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

Driving and owning this car was a delight. Sadly, after only 18 months of owning it, the reliability proved me wrong. The motor started to load up really bad after I used the a/c (would using the a/c take away engine power?)and it just died on me on the side of the road!! I loved my little wagon and so did my family. Problem was dropped valve and a cracked piston! My mechanic said it just wasn't worth fixing, so now it sits in a junkyard. They say the trannys have problems at around 80-90K miles. Mine hit 170,000 and no tranny issues at all! Some are good, some not. Purchasing another one come tax time! Besides the problem I had, I would very much recommend these inexpensive cars.

Not too bad, but not too good
By B-Dub2005 on 09/13/05 21:45 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

The biggest problem i've had over the 11 years i've had this car would be that at about 100,000, the engine just flat out broke. it started to stall and i had to buy a whole new engine. but besides that it has been pretty reliable. the transmission is little shabby though, it never seems to shift when it should. the wagon still seems to have taken all the punishment i've dealt it though. in general this car isn't too bad, it certainly takes alot of punishment.

A great little Wagon
By Old Roy on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

A simple, quite reliable and very economical Vehicle. Able to haul a large amount of luggage or anything. Will run with any traffic on any highway, all day long.

93 tracer wagon
By uafb1 on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

been a good car with very little upkeep, only real problem has been the brakes pads wear out fast

Good little wagon
By Voltaire314 on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

The only major problem I've had with this car after 9 years was a cracked valve seat at 140,000 miles. It's had other minor problems throughout, so I've probably spent about $2500 in 9 years of repairs. However, it's always started up and run, never left me stranded. Even with the cracked valve seat, it limped 60 miles home on 3 cylinders. It's not a performer. It'll get up to 100mph but I'd turn the A/C off before trying anything more than half-hearted acceleration. On the other hand, fuel economy is excellent. The fold-down seats and roof rack come in handy.

good basic transportation
By cwl on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

A good reliable car. You will be surprised how much stuff you can fit in this car. The gas milage is not as good as on other small models... 26 MPG for mixed driving; No more than 28 on highway. The automatic seatbelts are somewhat annoying.