Used 1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )

Excellent running car
By tcarn

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years now and have 193,000 miles on and still climbing. Have some problems with the transmission occassionally. there is wind sound when driving fast. Also the A/C cuts out occassionally. Overall it drives and handles very well. Very few maintenance problems since I bought it used. I have put on about 80,000 miles. Highly reccommended.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Great handling.

13 years, 200k and still going!
By Pete

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

We are trying to decide whether to commit to new tires, but the 1993 Mercury Tracer seems to be running fine after turning over 200k miles. Minor problems, seat belt return doesn't stop seat belt in an easily accessible location anymore. Heater fan and vent system isn't as functional as it used to be. The floor is rusting. This car was in a garage for the first 5-7 years.

Favorite Features

We love having the hatchback and are hanging onto it for hauling.

Suggested Improvements

Somebody please make the little economical hatchbacks again! They are great!

Best car to Own
By Kerry

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

This car has proven an excetional value. Extreme reliabilty , fit and finish. This little car seems to run "forever". Excellent ride, easy to work on, durable and quiet. We have owned this car for 16 years. We wverage 30 to 33 mpq. This is a 5 speed.

Favorite Features

seats, interior

Suggested Improvements

Door width and entry height.

Very good car
By Tracerowner

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought the car brand new in 1993. It now has 152,000 miles on it. The only major problem has been the AC compressor and a radiator leak. The best thing about it is the gas mileage. On the interstate it's 36 MPG. It ain't no speed demon but keeps up with traffic nicely. Idle's rough but moves along normally. Economically, best car I ever had. Replaced radiator. Now, no leaks, uses no oil, very dependable.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. I like it

Very Reliable And Fun Little Wagon
By KRIS

1993 Mercury Tracer Wagon 4dr Wagon

Driving and owning this car was a delight. Sadly, after only 18 months of owning it, the reliability proved me wrong. The motor started to load up really bad after I used the a/c (would using the a/c take away engine power?)and it just died on me on the side of the road!! I loved my little wagon and so did my family. Problem was dropped valve and a cracked piston! My mechanic said it just wasn't worth fixing, so now it sits in a junkyard. They say the trannys have problems at around 80-90K miles. Mine hit 170,000 and no tranny issues at all! Some are good, some not. Purchasing another one come tax time! Besides the problem I had, I would very much recommend these inexpensive cars.

Favorite Features

Engine reliability, excellent gas mileage, cute exterior design, nice smooth ride, handled well, great get around (grocery shopping!) car and the key turns every time. I love the cargo room. Great for lugging groceries around!

Suggested Improvements

Seats are very uncomfortable after prolonged rides, add some cupholders and more power.