1993 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:
Excellent running car
By tcarn on 04/11/11 14:15 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years now and have 193,000 miles on and still climbing. Have some problems with the transmission occassionally. there is wind sound when driving fast. Also the A/C cuts out occassionally. Overall it drives and handles very well. Very few maintenance problems since I bought it used. I have put on about 80,000 miles. Highly reccommended.

13 years, 200k and still going!
By Pete on 01/06/10 06:24 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

We are trying to decide whether to commit to new tires, but the 1993 Mercury Tracer seems to be running fine after turning over 200k miles. Minor problems, seat belt return doesn't stop seat belt in an easily accessible location anymore. Heater fan and vent system isn't as functional as it used to be. The floor is rusting. This car was in a garage for the first 5-7 years.

My second Tracer
By Natalie on 06/05/09 08:04 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

My first tracer was a 1992 wagon and very reliable for the six years I owned it. I junked it at 165,000 when the trans broke but that was totally my fault when I bottomed out in a large pothole. I believe I could of had up to 200,000 miles on that car or more. My second tracer, a 1993 model, bought in Nov. 2003 is a 1.9L engine and I have 140,000 miles on it (I bought it at 99,000 miles). I drove from Michigan to Florida and back a few years ago and I got 35-40 mpg. I get about 25 mpg City. For an old car, that is really good.

Best car to Own
By Kerry on 04/08/09 16:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

This car has proven an excetional value. Extreme reliabilty , fit and finish. This little car seems to run "forever". Excellent ride, easy to work on, durable and quiet. We have owned this car for 16 years. We wverage 30 to 33 mpq. This is a 5 speed.

Very good car
By Tracerowner on 08/31/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

Bought the car brand new in 1993. It now has 152,000 miles on it. The only major problem has been the AC compressor and a radiator leak. The best thing about it is the gas mileage. On the interstate it's 36 MPG. It ain't no speed demon but keeps up with traffic nicely. Idle's rough but moves along normally. Economically, best car I ever had. Replaced radiator. Now, no leaks, uses no oil, very dependable.

Keeps on goin'
By College Commuter on 07/02/08 23:39 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my grandmother when she passed away before I was able to drive so it sat for several years. Took some regular maintenance to get her up and running again but since then it has kept on putting on. Not exactly the sportiest or fastest or best on gas after 15 years, but that is expected. For a free car I am getting more than I thought I would get. I keep expecting her to just die on me but she still starts every morning and gets me home every night.

Very Reliable And Fun Little Wagon
By KRIS on 08/28/07 18:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

Driving and owning this car was a delight. Sadly, after only 18 months of owning it, the reliability proved me wrong. The motor started to load up really bad after I used the a/c (would using the a/c take away engine power?)and it just died on me on the side of the road!! I loved my little wagon and so did my family. Problem was dropped valve and a cracked piston! My mechanic said it just wasn't worth fixing, so now it sits in a junkyard. They say the trannys have problems at around 80-90K miles. Mine hit 170,000 and no tranny issues at all! Some are good, some not. Purchasing another one come tax time! Besides the problem I had, I would very much recommend these inexpensive cars.

Forget all that Import junk
By R.E. Saif on 11/21/05 02:10 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

My '93 LTS was the first car I ever owned. For under five grand I got a heck of a deal. The car was in great condition, with a five-speed, power locks, windows, mirrors, sunroof, alloys, a spoiler and 90k miles. I drove the car for a month before the transmission scattered. A neighbor went through it and found it had next to no fluid in it which burned it up. Rebuilt trans installed, the car gave me 15,000 miles of flawless service, until I replaced it in October of 2002 with a '99 Olds Alero. I sold it the next year only to see it wrecked and destroyed 6 months later by the idiot kid. A shame, as it was in terrific shape and a blast to drive, especially on the mountain roads.

Not too bad, but not too good
By B-Dub2005 on 09/13/05 21:45 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

The biggest problem i've had over the 11 years i've had this car would be that at about 100,000, the engine just flat out broke. it started to stall and i had to buy a whole new engine. but besides that it has been pretty reliable. the transmission is little shabby though, it never seems to shift when it should. the wagon still seems to have taken all the punishment i've dealt it though. in general this car isn't too bad, it certainly takes alot of punishment.

Great Car
By Great Car on 01/22/05 14:29 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

Just bought it less than a year ago, and there have been no problems. My friend that I bought it from owned it much longer and it didn't give him any trouble either! It's definately fast and fun to drive, good compression even after 120K! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!