Used 1993 Mercury Tracer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:

Excellent running car
By tcarn

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years now and have 193,000 miles on and still climbing. Have some problems with the transmission occassionally. there is wind sound when driving fast. Also the A/C cuts out occassionally. Overall it drives and handles very well. Very few maintenance problems since I bought it used. I have put on about 80,000 miles. Highly reccommended.

Great gas mileage. Great handling.

13 years, 200k and still going!
By Pete

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

We are trying to decide whether to commit to new tires, but the 1993 Mercury Tracer seems to be running fine after turning over 200k miles. Minor problems, seat belt return doesn't stop seat belt in an easily accessible location anymore. Heater fan and vent system isn't as functional as it used to be. The floor is rusting. This car was in a garage for the first 5-7 years.

We love having the hatchback and are hanging onto it for hauling.

Somebody please make the little economical hatchbacks again! They are great!

My second Tracer
By Natalie

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Sedan

My first tracer was a 1992 wagon and very reliable for the six years I owned it. I junked it at 165,000 when the trans broke but that was totally my fault when I bottomed out in a large pothole. I believe I could of had up to 200,000 miles on that car or more. My second tracer, a 1993 model, bought in Nov. 2003 is a 1.9L engine and I have 140,000 miles on it (I bought it at 99,000 miles). I drove from Michigan to Florida and back a few years ago and I got 35-40 mpg. I get about 25 mpg City. For an old car, that is really good.

The car is very reliable. Cost of repairs and maintenance is very reasonable. The engines on both cars always ran very well and were very quiet. My cars were great at driving thru snow and didn't stall out when driving thru flooded streets.

Exhaust system on this car doesn't last long, about three years. You do have to check your brakes often for wear. The tie rods seem to wear out quickly and my struts need to be replaced (the car is 16 yrs old now). I never had a garage and it is starting to rust above the rear tires.

Best car to Own
By Kerry

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

This car has proven an excetional value. Extreme reliabilty , fit and finish. This little car seems to run "forever". Excellent ride, easy to work on, durable and quiet. We have owned this car for 16 years. We wverage 30 to 33 mpq. This is a 5 speed.

seats, interior

Door width and entry height.

Very good car
By Tracerowner

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

Bought the car brand new in 1993. It now has 152,000 miles on it. The only major problem has been the AC compressor and a radiator leak. The best thing about it is the gas mileage. On the interstate it's 36 MPG. It ain't no speed demon but keeps up with traffic nicely. Idle's rough but moves along normally. Economically, best car I ever had. Replaced radiator. Now, no leaks, uses no oil, very dependable.

Gas mileage

Can't think of any. I like it