Used 1993 Mercury Tracer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mercury Tracer - Consumer Reviews

1993 Mercury Tracer

View reviews for a specific Tracer model:

Most Helpful|
good basic transportation
By cwl

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

A good reliable car. You will be surprised how much stuff you can fit in this car. The gas milage is not as good as on other small models... 26 MPG for mixed driving; No more than 28 on highway. The automatic seatbelts are somewhat annoying.

1993 Mercury Tracer
By Claren11

1993 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I had good experience with this car until about two years or 22,000 mile ago. This is a very inexpensive car up to about 80,000 miles. Then you need to unload this car because many problems will arise. My major issue now is that the transmission began failing about a year ago (would not shift to overdrive). Now the problems are worst. I couldn't get $50 for this car now.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage has always been great and maintenance had been low until about a 1 1/2 ago.

Suggested Improvements

I would dispose of this car after 80,000 miles.

Don't buy this car!
By Stephen7

1993 Mercury Tracer LTS 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car for six years and have never been pleased with any aspect of the car. The engine and cabin are noisy at idle and on the highway not to mention numerous problems such as engine shake due to a broken motor mount, a leaky radiator, factory mis- aligned rear wheels, stalling, and transmission shift problems. The car's acceleration is similar to that of a kid on a tricycle. The car simply can't get out of its own way.

Favorite Features

The only feature I like about this car are the 60/40 folding rear seats. They allow for much more cargo even though the car cannot carry it well.

Suggested Improvements

The Tracer definitely needs lots more power and torque as well as wider tires and larger brakes to improve its docile acceleration,slugglish cornering and long stopping distances.

Good little wagon
By Voltaire314

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

The only major problem I've had with this car after 9 years was a cracked valve seat at 140,000 miles. It's had other minor problems throughout, so I've probably spent about $2500 in 9 years of repairs. However, it's always started up and run, never left me stranded. Even with the cracked valve seat, it limped 60 miles home on 3 cylinders. It's not a performer. It'll get up to 100mph but I'd turn the A/C off before trying anything more than half-hearted acceleration. On the other hand, fuel economy is excellent. The fold-down seats and roof rack come in handy.

Favorite Features

Favorite would have to be the cargo space with the rear seats folded down, and the roof rack. Also, the gas mileage is very good even compared to new cars. I've gotten close to 32mpg recently.

Suggested Improvements

More power. This car needs another 15hp or so, then it could be quite fun. No airbags or ABS. The driver's airbag was standard on the '94. A stronger spare tire cover in the cargo area would've been useful. It cracks. Also, the rear springs seem to be a common problem.

Very Reliable And Fun Little Wagon
By KRIS

1993 Mercury Tracer 4dr Wagon

Driving and owning this car was a delight. Sadly, after only 18 months of owning it, the reliability proved me wrong. The motor started to load up really bad after I used the a/c (would using the a/c take away engine power?)and it just died on me on the side of the road!! I loved my little wagon and so did my family. Problem was dropped valve and a cracked piston! My mechanic said it just wasn't worth fixing, so now it sits in a junkyard. They say the trannys have problems at around 80-90K miles. Mine hit 170,000 and no tranny issues at all! Some are good, some not. Purchasing another one come tax time! Besides the problem I had, I would very much recommend these inexpensive cars.

Favorite Features

Engine reliability, excellent gas mileage, cute exterior design, nice smooth ride, handled well, great get around (grocery shopping!) car and the key turns every time. I love the cargo room. Great for lugging groceries around!

Suggested Improvements

Seats are very uncomfortable after prolonged rides, add some cupholders and more power.