Used 1994 Mercury Topaz Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercury Topaz - Consumer Reviews

1994 Mercury Topaz

View reviews for a specific Topaz model:

Visit www.tempotopaz.com
By Manana

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Not very reliable, like all fords. Too much play in steering, bad mid-high range power. Many problems to be expected. My topaz at 86k has had new brakes, new muffler, new trans, new tires, new water pump. Low end torque is great with the large cylinders. Unfortunatly that means the motor mounts will break quicker. Mid-high range power is awful, which results in everyone passing you because you can't keep up. Power seatbelts break, power locks fail, power windows stop working. My mpg is awful. The suspension eventually sags. This car is cheap, but don't hang on to a topaz for too long, because it will let you down.

Favorite Features

Radio is better than expected, smooth ride, comfortable interior, steering very easy(one finger) Power in low end. Good trunk space, easy to work on/repair. Parts are fairly cheap. Low cost(<1-4k)

Suggested Improvements

Give it to another company and redo the engine(ford engines/trans are awful) A rear wiper would be nice.

Not Bad, Could Be Better
By Karaokelover

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

I have a V6, 3.0 L engine. Personally I would rather have a 4 Cylinder because it would be better on gas. I don't need power. It is not a bad car. So far I have had to seal up the block heater because it cracked around the plug and leeking. Both ball joints replaced. Air conditioning went. water pump replaced. My transmission went The interier stuff on the door is starting come off. Not really any rust.

Favorite Features

Radio is good enough for me, there is lots of space throughout the whole car trunk included, attractive car and doesn't rust much. I like that fact that I can see over the head rests. The whole back window defrosts not just some of it.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders, more storage, bigger glove compartment.

Not bad... Really!
By Garrison

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

Alright, this wasn't exactly what I was planning for my first car. Like most others, I would like more cup holders. And this thing should be more powerful. 0-60 in about 18 seconds isn't really that great when you need to pick up speed quickly. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive and the arm rest for the shifter makes it comfortable. I got this thing when it only had 61,000 K on it. And all I've needed fixed was the muffler. If you just need something to drive and don't care what people think, it's the best in the world. Oh yeah, parts are WAY too expensive. $600 for a new fender.

Favorite Features

The stereo. It's not that bad in mine. If the horn worked, that would be good too.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders, stiffer clutch, more power, rear defrosters that worked.

Boring, sluggish and Reliable
By Chitty Bang

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

Being a 17 year old male, I dreamed of my first car being a Camaro with a big block under the hood, or a Datsun/Nissan Z. However I didn't want to pay $500 a month. I settled for a "94 Topaz GS. It's slow, loud, and doesn't have cupholders (big problem for a coffee drinker). All this aside, I love my Topaz, because it costs me nothing, it just rolled over 300,000KMS the other day and it's still going strong, with no signs of rust anywhere. It's somewhat enjoyable because it's a 5-speed, but that's really the only fun. Basically the fun side of me hates it and the practical side of me adores it.

Favorite Features

Parts can more than easily be found at any scrap yard!! For cheap!!!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, new stereo, stiffer clutch

not too shabby
By Anthony J C

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

i have had this car for 2 days now and so far i love it. i used to have a ford taurus and i like this car better. it is lighter and it has a little less power but thats ok because i got my licence taken away for speeding tickets 6 months after i got my licence witht the taurus. this car is easy to maneuver and it corners well. there is a little rust under the rear licence plate but thats ok it gets me to where i need to go.

Favorite Features

well the person i got it from had a cd player in it and she let me keep that. that hase to be my favorit feature about my car.

Suggested Improvements

better stereo:)