1994 Mercury Topaz - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Topaz model:
Awesome Car
By Michelle W on 10/16/08 15:20 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Drove this car for 7 years. Had to replace the transmission 3 times but covered by Ford. Replaced shocks, brakes etc. Literally drove this car into the ground Was dependable and reliable.

ive got the topaz blues
By sully39208 on 06/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

has 88,000 miles--mechanic has told me to get rid of it--BUYER BEWARE--ive had this car since 9/99--dont drive 2.3 engine with auto transmission very fast- -i put a quart of oil in it every 1200 miles...watch for head gasket--watch radiator--it leaks...ive replaced motor and trans mounts--front end gets knocked out of whack easy--check front end alignment twice a yr...good a/c and stereo..replaced head gasket...u got to baby this vehicle--"check engine" light is on often--doesnt necessary mean there is a problem--could be soft-code problem--i was told to replace gas cap-- that might help--could be a sensor prob-

Mercury Topaz - Sedan
By CMC on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Love this car! Roadster Edition - Fun to drive & haul kids around. Still looks sharp! Had trouble with fuel pump - replaced 4 times in 5 years - fixed at Ford until last time - WE found loose wire in sending unit - Ford no longer makes that part according to local Ford dealership. Was very disappointed car is only 10 years old & Ford can't work on it.

I call it my "carbuncle"
By Eddie on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

This car may be an eyesore, but it hasn't let me down yet. I initially bought it for my 5mi commute to work and figured that anything would suffice. Since then I have developed enough confidence in her to drive from NYC to Montreal and back ("check engine light" blinking most of the way). Aside from a couple hundred dollars of basic repairs in the past 3 years I have poured nothing into this car and it has consistently performed better than I could have dreamed. Not much pick up and difficulty exceeding 75MPH, but for what I paid a true gem (be it topaz or carbuncle).

Visit www.tempotopaz.com
By Manana on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Not very reliable, like all fords. Too much play in steering, bad mid-high range power. Many problems to be expected. My topaz at 86k has had new brakes, new muffler, new trans, new tires, new water pump. Low end torque is great with the large cylinders. Unfortunatly that means the motor mounts will break quicker. Mid-high range power is awful, which results in everyone passing you because you can't keep up. Power seatbelts break, power locks fail, power windows stop working. My mpg is awful. The suspension eventually sags. This car is cheap, but don't hang on to a topaz for too long, because it will let you down.

Not Bad, Could Be Better
By Karaokelover on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

I have a V6, 3.0 L engine. Personally I would rather have a 4 Cylinder because it would be better on gas. I don't need power. It is not a bad car. So far I have had to seal up the block heater because it cracked around the plug and leeking. Both ball joints replaced. Air conditioning went. water pump replaced. My transmission went The interier stuff on the door is starting come off. Not really any rust.

Fairly Reliable Car
By bowfin on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since it was one year old. About 105,000 miles on vehicle. Only parts replaced outside of what you would expect from normal wear and tear, were gas tank and water pump. Gas mileage should be better fot this size car. Only get about 24 MPG.