1994 Mercury Topaz Consumer Reviews

1994 Mercury Topaz - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Topaz model:
Best/Cheapest Car I've Owned
By 427435 on 08/03/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in the fall of 1994 for a little over $11,000. Used to commute with it-----60 miles one way for its first 6 years. It was actually quite comfortable and handled nicely if you consider the price I paid. It now has 229,000 miles on it, and it still doesn't use oil between 5000 mile changes (Mobil 1 always). Got 30 mpg on the highway commute. Never had to do any work on the engine or transmission (5 speed manual). Replaced the brakes and shocks once. Still original clutch. It's been a great $11,000 car!!!

Awesome Car
By Michelle W on 10/16/08 15:20 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Drove this car for 7 years. Had to replace the transmission 3 times but covered by Ford. Replaced shocks, brakes etc. Literally drove this car into the ground Was dependable and reliable.

ive got the topaz blues
By sully39208 on 06/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

has 88,000 miles--mechanic has told me to get rid of it--BUYER BEWARE--ive had this car since 9/99--dont drive 2.3 engine with auto transmission very fast- -i put a quart of oil in it every 1200 miles...watch for head gasket--watch radiator--it leaks...ive replaced motor and trans mounts--front end gets knocked out of whack easy--check front end alignment twice a yr...good a/c and stereo..replaced head gasket...u got to baby this vehicle--"check engine" light is on often--doesnt necessary mean there is a problem--could be soft-code problem--i was told to replace gas cap-- that might help--could be a sensor prob-

Mercury Topaz - Sedan
By CMC on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Love this car! Roadster Edition - Fun to drive & haul kids around. Still looks sharp! Had trouble with fuel pump - replaced 4 times in 5 years - fixed at Ford until last time - WE found loose wire in sending unit - Ford no longer makes that part according to local Ford dealership. Was very disappointed car is only 10 years old & Ford can't work on it.

I call it my "carbuncle"
By Eddie on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

This car may be an eyesore, but it hasn't let me down yet. I initially bought it for my 5mi commute to work and figured that anything would suffice. Since then I have developed enough confidence in her to drive from NYC to Montreal and back ("check engine light" blinking most of the way). Aside from a couple hundred dollars of basic repairs in the past 3 years I have poured nothing into this car and it has consistently performed better than I could have dreamed. Not much pick up and difficulty exceeding 75MPH, but for what I paid a true gem (be it topaz or carbuncle).

Visit www.tempotopaz.com
By Manana on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Not very reliable, like all fords. Too much play in steering, bad mid-high range power. Many problems to be expected. My topaz at 86k has had new brakes, new muffler, new trans, new tires, new water pump. Low end torque is great with the large cylinders. Unfortunatly that means the motor mounts will break quicker. Mid-high range power is awful, which results in everyone passing you because you can't keep up. Power seatbelts break, power locks fail, power windows stop working. My mpg is awful. The suspension eventually sags. This car is cheap, but don't hang on to a topaz for too long, because it will let you down.

Not Bad, Could Be Better
By Karaokelover on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

I have a V6, 3.0 L engine. Personally I would rather have a 4 Cylinder because it would be better on gas. I don't need power. It is not a bad car. So far I have had to seal up the block heater because it cracked around the plug and leeking. Both ball joints replaced. Air conditioning went. water pump replaced. My transmission went The interier stuff on the door is starting come off. Not really any rust.

Not bad... Really!
By Garrison on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

Alright, this wasn't exactly what I was planning for my first car. Like most others, I would like more cup holders. And this thing should be more powerful. 0-60 in about 18 seconds isn't really that great when you need to pick up speed quickly. The 5 speed makes it fun to drive and the arm rest for the shifter makes it comfortable. I got this thing when it only had 61,000 K on it. And all I've needed fixed was the muffler. If you just need something to drive and don't care what people think, it's the best in the world. Oh yeah, parts are WAY too expensive. $600 for a new fender.

Boring, sluggish and Reliable
By Chitty Bang on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

Being a 17 year old male, I dreamed of my first car being a Camaro with a big block under the hood, or a Datsun/Nissan Z. However I didn't want to pay $500 a month. I settled for a "94 Topaz GS. It's slow, loud, and doesn't have cupholders (big problem for a coffee drinker). All this aside, I love my Topaz, because it costs me nothing, it just rolled over 300,000KMS the other day and it's still going strong, with no signs of rust anywhere. It's somewhat enjoyable because it's a 5-speed, but that's really the only fun. Basically the fun side of me hates it and the practical side of me adores it.

not too shabby
By Anthony J C on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

i have had this car for 2 days now and so far i love it. i used to have a ford taurus and i like this car better. it is lighter and it has a little less power but thats ok because i got my licence taken away for speeding tickets 6 months after i got my licence witht the taurus. this car is easy to maneuver and it corners well. there is a little rust under the rear licence plate but thats ok it gets me to where i need to go.