Used 1994 Mercury Topaz Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercury Topaz - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Topaz model:

Best/Cheapest Car I've Owned
By 427435

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in the fall of 1994 for a little over $11,000. Used to commute with it-----60 miles one way for its first 6 years. It was actually quite comfortable and handled nicely if you consider the price I paid. It now has 229,000 miles on it, and it still doesn't use oil between 5000 mile changes (Mobil 1 always). Got 30 mpg on the highway commute. Never had to do any work on the engine or transmission (5 speed manual). Replaced the brakes and shocks once. Still original clutch. It's been a great $11,000 car!!!

Awesome Car
By Michelle W

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Drove this car for 7 years. Had to replace the transmission 3 times but covered by Ford. Replaced shocks, brakes etc. Literally drove this car into the ground Was dependable and reliable.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning

Suggested Improvements

Needs to last longer

ive got the topaz blues
By sully39208

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

has 88,000 miles--mechanic has told me to get rid of it--BUYER BEWARE--ive had this car since 9/99--dont drive 2.3 engine with auto transmission very fast- -i put a quart of oil in it every 1200 miles...watch for head gasket--watch radiator--it leaks...ive replaced motor and trans mounts--front end gets knocked out of whack easy--check front end alignment twice a yr...good a/c and stereo..replaced head gasket...u got to baby this vehicle--"check engine" light is on often--doesnt necessary mean there is a problem--could be soft-code problem--i was told to replace gas cap-- that might help--could be a sensor prob-

Suggested Improvements

poor design--late 70's design vehicle-- surprised it lasted from 1984 to 1994-- could the new ford focus be any better???

Mercury Topaz - Sedan
By CMC

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

Love this car! Roadster Edition - Fun to drive & haul kids around. Still looks sharp! Had trouble with fuel pump - replaced 4 times in 5 years - fixed at Ford until last time - WE found loose wire in sending unit - Ford no longer makes that part according to local Ford dealership. Was very disappointed car is only 10 years old & Ford can't work on it.

Favorite Features

It looks great after 10 years - slight chipping in clear coat -- drives perfect - other than fuel pump issue, no mechanical problems yet. Very easy to drive on higways & long trips. Very roomy for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Be able to fix the cars you build for longer than 10 years. Hubby & I both over 6' tall, could use a little extra headroom.

I call it my "carbuncle"
By Eddie

1994 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

This car may be an eyesore, but it hasn't let me down yet. I initially bought it for my 5mi commute to work and figured that anything would suffice. Since then I have developed enough confidence in her to drive from NYC to Montreal and back ("check engine light" blinking most of the way). Aside from a couple hundred dollars of basic repairs in the past 3 years I have poured nothing into this car and it has consistently performed better than I could have dreamed. Not much pick up and difficulty exceeding 75MPH, but for what I paid a true gem (be it topaz or carbuncle).

Favorite Features

Radio has great sound and excellent reception.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control is useless on hilly terrain. Gas and trunk buttons in glove compartment (stupid idea).