Used 1993 Mercury Topaz Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mercury Topaz - Consumer Reviews

GS 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

Too much work but run's like a champ!
By topazz

1993 Mercury Topaz Coupe GS 2dr Coupe

Well when I first got it I had to get a new water pump. The fan didn't work an the passenger door doesn't open from outside. The front window leaks in the corner. And the air conditioner doesn't work through the vents. I got a cracked head and got it back like six months later. Then I had to get a new starter and radiator, a new fan and I have had some fuel pumps. I put three on in one year. But here lately it's been getting me back and forth to work and it's got a good stereo system in it. But it's been a rough journey In the last year. But it had 40 some odd thousand miles on it. Now it's got 80 something on it and rust pretty bad. But what can I say gets me from point A to point B running like a champ.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed tranny. And the system I put in it. Got good trunk space. I had 4 12" subs in it at one time. Seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller steering wheel. Better parts and performance. Auto doors and windows. And a good E-brake. Hard to stop it rolling down the hill when it's slipping out of gear.

Two ton paper weight
By mesarius

1993 Mercury Topaz Coupe GS 2dr Coupe

Probably the most reliable part of this vehicle is that I can almost always rely on a warning light turning on while I'm driving it. The 3-speed automatic is very jerky and doesn't always want to shift out of first and it is terrible on gas mileage. I average 19 mpg, which is worse than some high end sports cars. The interior is falling apart, the plastic components on the exterior have fallen clean off the car on a couple occasions. Within the first month of ownership both power seat belts failed and the front end electrics failed. These cars are also notorious for their starter problems. This is the worst car I have ever owned, I really should have bought a Honda.

Favorite Features

Everyone can hear you coming from a mile away because it's a really noisy car.

Suggested Improvements

More Research and Development, better construction, higher quality components, Overdrive for the automatic transmission, Remove the electronic and mechanical gremlins, better weight distribution.

Classic piece of junk
By jasou

1993 Mercury Topaz Coupe GS 2dr Coupe

This is probably one of the worst cars on the road. It's been full of maintenance problems and leaks. Currently the entire floor is rusting out (there are some big holes) yet the body has no rust, go figure.

Favorite Features

None, the gas mileage isn't even good (about 22mpg city).

Suggested Improvements

Ford/merc engineers take a hint from Japanese auto makers please. Ended up buying a civic (which is the best car I've ever owned!)

Good cheap car
By '93 Topaz

1993 Mercury Topaz Coupe GS 2dr Coupe

My Topaz has been passed from about 3 family members and now has 125,000 miles and is still surprisingly going. That's just a simple, no frills, inexpensive way to commute.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, plenty of room if your tall. Cheap insurance

Suggested Improvements

Not enough power, brakes aren't great.

passenger side hub/bearing
By greyghost

1993 Mercury Topaz Coupe GS 2dr Coupe

The passenger side hub/bearing failed at 60,000 miles. Bought new one for $78 and had pressed on steering knuckle for $25. Found ball joint bad and replaced control/arm ball joint assembly. Cost me $47 for part and did myself with above. Had fuel injection regulator go bad at 44,000 miles. Bought and replaced one for cheap. Bought fuel injection pressure gauge to diagnose problem. Engine and trans seem okay. Got the car from my aunt in December 2001 with 42,000 miles on it. Also had to replace water pump.

Favorite Features

Cheap to buy. Put in nice CD player. Body holding up very well. Sexy looking vehicle. (no not really)

Suggested Improvements

US engineers need to take a cue from Toyota and approach the design and quality of a Camry or Corolla. Quality is a function of the engineering mainly and not assembly.