1992 Mercury Topaz - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Topaz model:
I'll cry if it ever dies
By Mike on 05/03/07 20:52 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

Bought new in '92 for about $8500, 136k mi. 27-30mpg, a/c retired 2yrs ago, severe hail damage, has rust and clearcoat is peeling, but I will be putting a new set of tires on it soon so I can drive it a few more years. Other than routine maintenance includes 1 clutch , 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, struts, 2 sets of tie rod ends. I would buy a new one today if they were still being made. Best auto buy I have ever made.

terrific vehicle
By jonib on 10/14/05 14:04 PM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this mercury new in 1992, has never left us down, maintenence has been unbelievable small compared to the 1999 dodge durango we also bought new. Our mercury bills probably total $500.00 From 1992 till present, the durango already exceeds $4,000.Oo!!!! Topaz is very comfortable to drive, very nice dependable family car. The body still looks brand new after all these years and is not garage kept!

good & reliable
By Todd.Hemm on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr Coupe

I have owned this vehicle for about 8 months now and the car runs really well.

my ride
By davis314 on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

this has been an excellant vehicle, the only major repair i have had to do is a front wheel bearing at 120000miles

Topaz troubles
By tayloekm on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

My time with this vehicle was rough. It was relatively old when i bought it but the mileage was low. Despite the low mileage there were many problems. The muffler needed to be replaced as well as struts, starter, serpentine belt, as well as a rusted bottom of vehicle. The interior was accebtable and somewhat comfortable. Also the automatic rear door locks failed and the driver side window did not go down.

fantasitique car
By cellist on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz GS 4dr Sedan

I bought in 2000,it has 290000 kilo,now it has 325000kilo,it still works very good ,I spend maxime 500 cad for reperation in 3 years in montreal,it is a fantasitique car ! I think it will run to 400000 kilo.

topaz's rule
By y0gi on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz XR5 2dr Coupe

i love topaz's they are the best cars made

More powerfull than you thought
By Topaz Racer on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Topaz XR5 2dr Coupe

This is a better car than other people think it is. The Topaz/Tempo carries a bad reputation of a car for old people, but I am 19 and I can tell you that this car kicks ass ;). Whith 160 lbs of torque and 140 hp, and her 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 7.8 sec, this V6 will humiliate most of the people who dare to challenge you! This car runs smooth and only have minor problems like drinking a lot of gas!!! (about 13 liters for 100 km!) Overall, this car is fun to drive, and powerfull! (not the automatic though!!!!). It runs smoothly without any major problems (mine has 176 000 km with no major problem).