Used 2008 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercury Sable

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Best car I ever had
By rick

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car rocks. Very classy, great sound system and the sync is awesome for anyone who lives by a pda. I get compliments everywhere I go. Folks think it is German quite often. Then they see Sable and go "WOW". I get 28 mpg at 68mph around 19 in town carrying as as much gear as folks pack in their SUV. I cant understand why they quit making it. I only wish it had a manual shift tranny like the LS I traded in. It does have a a high profile and looks kind of funky from directly behind but not as much as say a Volvo or a SAAB. Previous cars: Lincoln LS, BMW 535, VW Passat, Grand Cherokee Limited.

Favorite Features

Sun/moon roof, sound system seat memory and the look of Impala owners when I blow by them on the interstate except for the SS's I end up passing anyway when they stop for more fossils (fuel not passengers).

Suggested Improvements

Manual down shift transmission

Started off good
By Drake2000

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When we first bought the Sable (used July 09) we really loved it overall, big comfortable, good engine, power. But over the last year we have had in the shop 4 times for non-mechanical/non- engine failures, such as the truck hydraulics broke and it almost fell on my wife's head. Left steering linkage went bad and you could barely turn the car left while driving. The heated seat (driver's side) went out. Now currently some kind of air flow actuator motor (what directs the air flow from a/c) went bad. Not to mention the door trim molding (black rubber seal) has came loose twice and the 3 preset button of the radio is severly sticking. These are all annoying pesky things going wrong-not happy all

Favorite Features

Trunk room, leg room, engine power, engine reliability/quality, rear seat a/c vents.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality/overall non- mechanical build quality. Ford can do better than this - I would expect such things from Kia but bad truck latches/ bad heated seats, cmon guys. Germans/Japanese leave you behind in this category.

Why quit building a winner?
By A Ford Man Always

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned it 3 years with 60K on it and without question, the very best car I've ever owned. Only problem to occur was seat heater broke and was fixed under warranty. I'm 72 years old and have owned many cars and have driven 2-3 million miles and this car is the MOST COMFORTABLE car I've ever sat it. The higher seats make it so easy to get in and out. I've just wwore out the OEM Pirelli tires and have replaced them with new Hankook Optimo's which are like floating on air. Why would Ford stop making such a grand car? My opinion seems to be shared with 96% of those here responding. What gives? Of course the new Taurus is indeed a pretty good alternative.

Favorite Features

Higher seating like an SUV. Supreme comfort for this 6'2" guy. Safety features, and all around handling. Also love backup beeper and adjustable pedals for my 5'2" wife.

Suggested Improvements

Instrumentation lousy, plain and simple. Can't read a thing in bright sunlight: speedometer, radio, etc. Little LED red lights don't work for me.

Comfortable and worry free driving
By KJN

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've now had my Sable for 2 1/2 years and 50,000+ miles with not a single problem. I'm amazed and saddened that they've discontinued building it, but I guess that's the way of the world. It's not flashy, just a good quality automobile with plenty of room and so comfortable to drive. The Sync system is very convenient and the all wheel drive and heated seats make our brutal Chicago winters bearable. I'll keep this car as long as I can and then go back for whatever Ford/ Lincoln-Mercury offers in it's place. This car spells Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y and reliability at an affordable price.

Favorite Features

Sync, AWD, heated seats, reliability

Suggested Improvements

None.

Rolling on incline
By Disappointed

2008 Mercury Sable 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car rolls on an incline when in gear. Need to use both break and gas to keep car from rolling on incline ( if in drive will roll backwards gain speed quickly, same occurs in revers if on downward incline). Ford has requested I take it to 6 different dealerships for repair. All of the dealership say they cannot duplicate the roll. I live in the mountains and this a huge problem I have nearly rolled into several cars/objects because of the rolling. It seems the dealership have their mind made up that there is not a problem before they test the car. The first time the car was serviced for this issue was at 1K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Turn radius. Smoother ride (bumpy)