2008 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Outstanding ar first
By 2141marine on 06/13/13 17:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is our second Sable, the first was a 1997, and fourth Ford product. As time goes by it seems the quality does not get better. My 1997 Sable was a better vehicle than the 08. At first it was a smooth operating vehicle, after about 20k it developed transmission problem. The Radio/CD player broke and the suspension started to go. Now it is in the shop for an unknown problem, every light on the dash came on , its like the car put itself in safe mode. Don't get me wrong, this is a good vehicle with plenty of room, a strong AC and decent mileage on the highway. Test drive before you drive, after a while it will sound like a lawnmower inside and the transmission will shift hard.

Nice car if not for all the faulty "Bells and Wistles".
By harleyguy2 on 01/28/12 19:29 PM (PST)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

For the most part the car can well and drove nice. The interior and exterior quality was good. However, the Memory Seats, Power Seats, Heated Seats and Heat and A/C controls were problems from the very start. Each were repaired multiple times under the warranty. After the warranty expired problems with power seats and A/C occurred again. Ford would not peform the repairs under the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty as they said the parts that failed were not the same as the parts repaired the previous year, even though the symptoms of the problem were identical. Finally traded it in on a Foreign car. Can't afford a Ford.

A lot better than you think
By LAWNGUYLANDER on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

What's not to love about this car? Performance is great from the 260 hp v6. Acceleration/passing is quick. Ride quality is a perfect balance of not too tight/too soft. The car's exterior styling has a "high-end" German look about it. The cabin looks/feels luxurious with the wood accents and two-toned leather seats/door panels. The seats are exceptionally comfortable with the heated, and power recline options. The options include dual hvac, power adjustable pedals, power moonroof, memory seats, traction control. The sound system is awesome, powerful, clear, with a bass Punch that makes your ears hurt on vol =4. The trunk is massive, we got a hand truck, 15 gallons of paint and still had room.

Not overly happy
By Ralph on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had many Fords but this is my first bran new car and I guess I expected more. Has about 30,000 miles. Had to replace drivers side seat heater element, new instrument cluster due to burnt out bulb ( bulbs are not replaceable), drivers door seal not staying in place, erratic shifting between first and second gear and erratic idle. The best MPH I have had is 21 on a trip, average is 17-19. The car is comfortable I just do feel the quality is there.

Best car I ever had
By rick on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car rocks. Very classy, great sound system and the sync is awesome for anyone who lives by a pda. I get compliments everywhere I go. Folks think it is German quite often. Then they see Sable and go "WOW". I get 28 mpg at 68mph around 19 in town carrying as as much gear as folks pack in their SUV. I cant understand why they quit making it. I only wish it had a manual shift tranny like the LS I traded in. It does have a a high profile and looks kind of funky from directly behind but not as much as say a Volvo or a SAAB. Previous cars: Lincoln LS, BMW 535, VW Passat, Grand Cherokee Limited.

Started off good
By Drake2000 on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When we first bought the Sable (used July 09) we really loved it overall, big comfortable, good engine, power. But over the last year we have had in the shop 4 times for non-mechanical/non- engine failures, such as the truck hydraulics broke and it almost fell on my wife's head. Left steering linkage went bad and you could barely turn the car left while driving. The heated seat (driver's side) went out. Now currently some kind of air flow actuator motor (what directs the air flow from a/c) went bad. Not to mention the door trim molding (black rubber seal) has came loose twice and the 3 preset button of the radio is severly sticking. These are all annoying pesky things going wrong-not happy all

Why quit building a winner?
By A Ford Man Always on 08/11/10 14:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned it 3 years with 60K on it and without question, the very best car I've ever owned. Only problem to occur was seat heater broke and was fixed under warranty. I'm 72 years old and have owned many cars and have driven 2-3 million miles and this car is the MOST COMFORTABLE car I've ever sat it. The higher seats make it so easy to get in and out. I've just wwore out the OEM Pirelli tires and have replaced them with new Hankook Optimo's which are like floating on air. Why would Ford stop making such a grand car? My opinion seems to be shared with 96% of those here responding. What gives? Of course the new Taurus is indeed a pretty good alternative.

Lots of problems
By Miche on 06/05/10 18:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Axle gasket has been replaced twice and is going in for a 3rd time to get fixed due to leaking again! Car stalls while it is in motion when air conditioner is on. It also stalls while idling. I will be driving and the car just shuts down on its own. Mercury dealership says there is nothing wrong with it. I bet they change their minds when I go off the road due to no power of any kind when it stalls. Seat warmer has a burning smell when it is on for more that 5 minutes. Not happy!

Nice Car
By jlat on 05/14/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for almost 2 years and have no issues. I have 38k miles so far. The engine has great performance. I usually average about 22 MPG city\hwy. I can get 30 mpg on long trips with a car load of kids,dogs, and suitcases. The car is very quiet and drives like a large American sedan should. I would by another if given the choice. No squeaks rattles or other noises.

Decent car
By Jeff on 04/07/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Sable Premier 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle for 2 years & put 36,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was leaking ATF lines. Was fixed under warranty, but the dealer kept the car for a WEEK to replace some rubber hoses! Whether the cause was a bad design or improper installation doesn't matter to me, it reflects poorly on Ford. Other than that I only have a few nit-picks. The ride IMO was stiff. It sort of bounced over bumps, didn't absorb them. The AM/FM button was too small. The seats were too hard. The transmission could be quite clunky in shifting from 1st to 2nd (esp. when cold), otherwise it was downright buttery shifting. The engine was smooth, quiet & powerful enough for me.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mercury Sable in VA is:

$113 per month*