2004 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
excellent
By zoomcts on 06/11/12 11:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

all around excellent vehicle from size, comfort, travel and luxury and on top of that affordable! I have had this car for a long while and there has been no major problems, just regular car maintance!

Great car!!!
By bigdawg17 on 05/21/11 02:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sable new in November of '03 and now have over 100k miles on it and the first thing I had to do to it other than regular maintenance was an A/C compressor this month. The car is stylish,quick and the Mach stereo in it is possibly the best factory stereo Ive ever heard. Comfortable on long trips as well as good mileage. I average around 23 combined city/highway.

Still Going
By Go America on 05/13/10 15:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Sable for 5 years and now have 222,000 miles on it. This car still runs great with cold air. I have the 24 valve engine which I think is a lot better than the 3.0 Vulcan engine.I replace the AC compressor at 190,000 miles but other than the front wheel bearings and some basic maintance along with oil changes every 5,000 miles this car is great

140,000 miles and going strong
By denx5 on 08/13/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Sable in the spring of '05. It was a program car and I got a great deal on it. Its been absolutely problem free from day one. Only oil changes, 1 set of tires and 1 set of brake pads. It has really sold me on Ford products again. Currently looking for another program car just coming off lease. I saved a ton over new car cost and definitely got my money's worth. Next car will be an 08 Sable, probably another program car. You know old ladies drive em so they're not abused. Oh yeah, it seems like this 3.0 duratec gets better with age. The car feels like it has more power than it did at 20K which is how many miles it had when I bought it.

Beautiful and practical station wagon
By Peter on 08/29/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The medium red color and exterior look of this wagon elicit many second looks. It has been a very satisfactory car thus far. I have had no problems with the car. The large storage space in this relatively long wagon has been great for lugging purchases and for long trips. Eight foot lumber items are no problem with the rear door closed. All in all I am very satisfied.

Reliable Comfort
By JGP on 06/04/07 19:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traded a 2002 Miata in for it when I needed a new car to drive coast to coast pulling a trailer. Wound up making the drive twice and the car performed flawlessly. Now has 55,000 miles on it and the only repair trip to the dealer was to replace a failing speaker. Car has DOHC 3.0 engine. Pulls down 28 MPG on the highway and 22-24 MPG around town which is surprising for its size. In winter I use 4 studded snows and have never gotten stuck in the worst storms New England can throw at it.

Nice car
By cody c. on 04/21/07 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this as a family car. It is very roomy with good gas mileage for this size vehicle. My husband is 6'6" and is very comfy in all the seats including the back. We are happy with our car and would highly recommend it.

So Far So Good - Part V
By 04'SableDriver on 09/12/06 21:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Noooo idea who this review is for, but what the hell...here goes. Just shy of 36K and all's well. My Sable GS has yet to experience a single mechanical failing (the starter issue I mentioned in earlier posts thankfully hasn't resurfaced), and the car rides as well as when new. Thusly, I've nothing new to report. My car's all one would expect; roomy, smooth riding and dull as your kitchen blender. Despite that dearth of flash however, I wholeheartedly recommend the Sable as a solid commuter tool, and accordingly as a "safe" used car buy.

Mercurys are Mistakes
By Colleen on 02/13/06 12:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Mercury Sable, I like the look of the car I like the size of the car I like the interior, but I have had some hugh problems. First it started with my Starter needing to be replaced ar 30,000 miles, then my battery kept dying, I have to date changed the battery three times and the dealership cannot figure out what is draining my battery, but the dealership is taking the easy way out and saying things to me like, "You must have left your lights on," not once have I left my lights on or a door open? Now the car has 37,000 miles and the transmission needs to be replaced. I will never buy an American car again.

So Far So Good - Part IV
By 04'SableDriver on 02/03/06 23:49 PM (PST)

2004 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just a bit more than 20K and rolling along! I'm well past the "new car" euphoria, and have settled in for what I plan to be a "long haul" relationship with my car. They stopped building Sables after the 05' model year, so not sure who this update's meant for, but what the hell... As stated before, I still enjoy the basics of my Sable; smooth and well muted ride, plenty of interior space, lotsa bang-for-the-buck (power amenities, trip comp, solid safety credentials, etc.)... Complaints are few, but focus on what could be described as "classic automotive Americana;" cheapo interior materials, the ominous threat of shakey long-term reliability (though, like the title says, so far so good!

1 2 3 4 5 next »