2003 Mercury Sable Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
Winter beater
By mark on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought the car to drive in the winter to save my mustang from the winter climate of Wisconsin. The car has been very reliable and good on fuel (27 hwy). The only problem I have had with it was that a dealer did an oil change and didn't tighten the filter fully, oil leaked down onto the starter and caused the starter to malfunction.I have heard that the transmission is the weak link on these cars but so far has been shifting properly, I would recommend this car for a used car purchase

Mercury Disabled (Sable)
By Julie on 07/20/09 23:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Now I know why this car has the nickname Mercury 'disabled' I bought the car 4 months ago and it has been in the shop more than in my garage. The transmission went out 36 hours after I got it home (with 52k miles on it). Since that repair it has had a stuck pcv valve, an replace air intake cylinoid and now both front struts are bad. This 'good deal' - even w/ an extended warranty - has cost me another $1200 in repairs. I would never, ever buy it again.

Our 03 Sable problems
By ari1210 on 11/06/08 14:02 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 03 Sable with 20,000 miles on it. Excellent car until two years later when the transmission went out 1,000 miles from warrenty expiring. I just today had to have the drums and back brakes repaired. Only has 42,000 miles on it. Other then that car has been reliable. I will never buy another Ford though.

Buyer beware 2003 Sable will cost you money
By HMILLER2 on 07/29/08 08:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car seemed to to be a good but when you compair all the known specs at the time of purchase but after a few years look out! This car model is no worse than the support from Ford Motor who just does not care in my opinion. I bought the extended warranty so I have had some protection. When you look at what other's have had to repair you will see a pattern. First the A/C goes up after about 2-3 years. Then the door seals leak they needed to be replaced. The car does not burn E85 fuel as listed by Ford. Runs rough and chokes on mixed fuel. The list goes on but now after just 41,500 miles I need spark plug wires.

Decent car
By Big Chocolate on 07/21/08 19:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is pretty nice to drive, but its nothing special. We've owned this car for 5 years now and still nothing really stands out as special. It gets pretty good gas mileage under 55 mpg on the highway. Also, once it gets to about a quarter tank of gas, the fuel pump shuts off. We had to push it over a mile to a gas station, I mean, what a stupid design failure. Overall, this car is not very impressive

Safe 5 star & nice room
By go blue on 02/03/08 05:35 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Currently the vehicle has 100,000 miles. Besides normal brakes, tires and oil changes, the only repair I had to make was a blower fan for $150.00. I looked at the Honda Accord & Toyota Camry - both of those cars have timing belts and 30,000 mile tune ups. I had a 100% chance of spending $600 for the timing belt and $300 for each tune up X 3 since I have 100,000 miles. That is a total of $1,500 in normal maintenance that I avoided with Ford's / Mercury's 100,000 mile tune up and a timing chain that lasts the life of the vehicle - serveral hundred thousand miles. Why do you think Consumer Reports does not bring this up? Ford delivers vehicle with the design to minimize maintenance costs!

Magnificent Mid-size
By falsesmall on 01/22/08 08:32 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 100,000 miles on it and couldn't be happier. Runs like new. The Duratec 6 is responsive and quiet. Flawless shifting in all gears. Loaded with luxury and safety features that make this car a steal..leather, alloy wheels, sunroof, traction control, adjustible pedals, heated mirrors, 6 cd mach audio, ABS, side air bags, etc.,etc. If you want to buy American, here is where you do it. Much more for less. Ford did this one right.

Magnificent Mid-size
By falsesmall on 12/06/07 12:08 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 100,000 miles this car is a dream. The premium model is chock full of options that leave you wanting nothing. This a "true" mid-size sedan that looks and rides great. Interior design is conservative yet attractive. Controls are logically laid out. Excellent climate control. Handling is precise enough..what you would expect in a car of this size and weight. I love the solid feel and feel quite safe with the side airbags and ABS. Duratec six cylinder is powerful and, with the 4 speed automatic/overdrive, smooth as silk. Frankly the best engine/trans marriage I think I ever owned, new or used. Luxury and power at a great pre-owned price tag. This is an American car done right.

Decent Family Car
By owensry on 12/17/06 16:50 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

overall this sable is a great family vehicle, and not too horrible on gas mileage, i have the 24 V Duratech engine with 200 HP great pep to the engine, very nice leather seats, and paint color combination.

Great Value...Safe and Reliable
By Mercster on 11/13/06 11:10 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very safe and reliable car for us. Drives smooth and quiet you can talk in normal tone on the highway. The doors close with a heavy clunk. Trunk space is great...we fit all our camping gear and still have room left over. The car now has 60k and still running strong (bought at 20k). Replaced front brakes at 40k and new battery but that is it. Love to take it on long trips. We drove cross- country in it in less than 3-days (NY to AZ) no problems driving virtually non-stop. We do the maintenance as required...change oil and just replaced cooling and transmission fluid. This is our third Sable/Taurus and the other 2 have served us well as well (over 100k each).

1 2 3 4 5 next »