Used 2003 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

2003 Mercury Sable LS
By Daniel W.

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car 2 years ago with 60K on it. Nice car. With it being heavy it goes through the snow like its a 4x4 or AWD. Love the LS. Don't like the 6 disc CD changer being in the trunk. I am not getting get the gas mileage I should. I might need a tune up. Do not like the cable gauges especially for the fuel. It goes up and down and I do not know if I need gas yet or not. On average I am getting 250mi on a tank when Edmunds say 350. Wish it had heated seats.

One big issue I have is the wheel wells are rusting like crazy. All behind the rocker panels is starting to really rust. Not really a fan of this. I try to keep this car as clean and nice looking as possible. To keep the car as luxury feeling as it I think it should be.

Love the wood grain. Has that luxury feel to it since it has the chrome rims. Roomy as well. Nice car all over. Would defiantly recommend this car

Winter beater
By mark

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought the car to drive in the winter to save my mustang from the winter climate of Wisconsin. The car has been very reliable and good on fuel (27 hwy). The only problem I have had with it was that a dealer did an oil change and didn't tighten the filter fully, oil leaked down onto the starter and caused the starter to malfunction.I have heard that the transmission is the weak link on these cars but so far has been shifting properly, I would recommend this car for a used car purchase

strong running 3.0 v6, good ride, Body and interior holding up very well

none that I can think of.

Mercury Disabled (Sable)
By Julie

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Now I know why this car has the nickname Mercury 'disabled' I bought the car 4 months ago and it has been in the shop more than in my garage. The transmission went out 36 hours after I got it home (with 52k miles on it). Since that repair it has had a stuck pcv valve, an replace air intake cylinoid and now both front struts are bad. This 'good deal' - even w/ an extended warranty - has cost me another $1200 in repairs. I would never, ever buy it again.

Climate control, good sound system when it works.

The transmission commonly goes out on these vehicles. - should be a sign to Ford/Mercury to fix

Our 03 Sable problems
By ari1210

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 03 Sable with 20,000 miles on it. Excellent car until two years later when the transmission went out 1,000 miles from warrenty expiring. I just today had to have the drums and back brakes repaired. Only has 42,000 miles on it. Other then that car has been reliable. I will never buy another Ford though.

Power seats, airbags.

The overall car, it's a Ford!

Buyer beware 2003 Sable will cost you money
By HMILLER2

2003 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car seemed to to be a good but when you compair all the known specs at the time of purchase but after a few years look out! This car model is no worse than the support from Ford Motor who just does not care in my opinion. I bought the extended warranty so I have had some protection. When you look at what other's have had to repair you will see a pattern. First the A/C goes up after about 2-3 years. Then the door seals leak they needed to be replaced. The car does not burn E85 fuel as listed by Ford. Runs rough and chokes on mixed fuel. The list goes on but now after just 41,500 miles I need spark plug wires.

Overall the car looks good and has a good fit on interior and exterior parts. Just wish it would handle better at speeds over 50 miles/hour. The car tend to drift all over the road and the MPG goes way down. In short the faster you go the lower the MPG by 25% plus and the harder it is to handle.

Set the engine up so the average person can do basic repairs. Tell the truth about poor MPG and how fast it drops as speed increases vs other cars! Plus can you believe $684 to change spark plug wires & plugs and it's mostly labor! $155 wires,$55plugs rest labor atDealer who says cann't get 2 wires