Used 2003 Mercury Sable Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

2003 Mercury Sable LS
By Daniel W.

2003 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car 2 years ago with 60K on it. Nice car. With it being heavy it goes through the snow like its a 4x4 or AWD. Love the LS. Don't like the 6 disc CD changer being in the trunk. I am not getting get the gas mileage I should. I might need a tune up. Do not like the cable gauges especially for the fuel. It goes up and down and I do not know if I need gas yet or not. On average I am getting 250mi on a tank when Edmunds say 350. Wish it had heated seats.

One big issue I have is the wheel wells are rusting like crazy. All behind the rocker panels is starting to really rust. Not really a fan of this. I try to keep this car as clean and nice looking as possible. To keep the car as luxury feeling as it I think it should be.

Love the wood grain. Has that luxury feel to it since it has the chrome rims. Roomy as well. Nice car all over. Would defiantly recommend this car

Great Griswold Wagon
By r_berkhei

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My brother asked to help him find a reliable family car. This car would have been at the bottom of my list, but he insisted on checking it out. It had 135k, and looked kinda rough (nothing a good detailing couldn't solve). However the test drive, and a little research sold me. I've driven it quite frequently on long distance trips. The car is an absolute pleasure. It cruses like a Cadillac and I love the sound system and 6-disk changer. There are some obvious electrical problems, and little glitches with power options and I find the climate control confusing when driving. None the less it is a safe, sophisticated family car that I feel absolutely comfortable with my niece riding in.

Winter beater
By mark

2003 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I originally bought the car to drive in the winter to save my mustang from the winter climate of Wisconsin. The car has been very reliable and good on fuel (27 hwy). The only problem I have had with it was that a dealer did an oil change and didn't tighten the filter fully, oil leaked down onto the starter and caused the starter to malfunction.I have heard that the transmission is the weak link on these cars but so far has been shifting properly, I would recommend this car for a used car purchase

strong running 3.0 v6, good ride, Body and interior holding up very well

none that I can think of.

Mercury Disabled (Sable)
By Julie

2003 Mercury Sable LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Now I know why this car has the nickname Mercury 'disabled' I bought the car 4 months ago and it has been in the shop more than in my garage. The transmission went out 36 hours after I got it home (with 52k miles on it). Since that repair it has had a stuck pcv valve, an replace air intake cylinoid and now both front struts are bad. This 'good deal' - even w/ an extended warranty - has cost me another $1200 in repairs. I would never, ever buy it again.

Climate control, good sound system when it works.

The transmission commonly goes out on these vehicles. - should be a sign to Ford/Mercury to fix

Our 03 Sable problems
By ari1210

2003 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 03 Sable with 20,000 miles on it. Excellent car until two years later when the transmission went out 1,000 miles from warrenty expiring. I just today had to have the drums and back brakes repaired. Only has 42,000 miles on it. Other then that car has been reliable. I will never buy another Ford though.

Power seats, airbags.

The overall car, it's a Ford!