2002 Mercury Sable Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
In a Class of Its Own
By alexr79 on 09/25/13 17:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A very good friend owns a 2002 Sable wagon with under 50000 miles on it. We go on road trips in it a couple times a year and I am very impressed by it. It is smooth, quiet, comfortable, and roomy. It has decent power and gets about 29 mpg when we are traveling. I love driving it and I am currently looking for a low mileage 2002 - 2005 Sable or Taurus wagon so I can get rid of my 2011 Equinox that is gutless and only gets 25 mpg on the highway.

what a piece
By Perry Tolliver on 04/16/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

car only has 90 tyhousand miles on it the interior is falling apart, the tape deck quit working, uncomfortable on ong trips probally due to the leather seats, was handed down to me by my parents, that upgraded to a top of the line Acura, with the money that I have put into repairing the car I could have flat bought a nice brand new car or had a really large down payment on one. This car broke me for Ford Motor Company. I will never buy another Ford midsize again

Great Vehicle
By billbo on 03/19/09 20:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great car. I have had no major problems and does well in the Michigan winters. I can haul just as much stuff as I did in my '98 Explorer I before it. Travels great on the highway and I get between 24-26 mpg and that is doing over 70 on the highway. My premium wagon has all the bells and whistles, including power moonroof and factory six disc changer.

Flywheel?
By NH,JH on 02/05/06 12:27 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Solid feel, wagon is stylish,in lighter colors. Almost five years of ownership. BUT, a minor and a major problem. Minor: 'grabbing' windshield wipers, even after dealer replaced at 25K miles. 'Rainex' helps for a while. MAJOR: Flywheel just replaced, at 70K miles. Also, the starter. A bit over a year ago, there was an occasional 'screech' at startup attempt. It kept getting more frequent. Of course, it didn't do it for the dealer AND the symptoms described to same did not lead them to suspect, as they should have, a flywheel defect. The reason for all the detail above: have others had same problem?

Thrid Sable Wagon
By Matt on 08/26/05 16:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It's now a trend. I have had 3 Mercury Sables in a row for a family car. Reliable, low maintenance and incredibly safe (I had a fender bender with a car full of kids). The style is a little stodgy, but it's not a minivan. The 3.0 L engines are very reliable and the Duratec is the best of the bunch. Don't poo-poo the versatility of the Sable wagon vs. a SUV or van. It can handle enough people for comfort and excuse you from stuffing the whole Tee ball team in the same insane vehicle. Buy one, you'll like it.

Keeping my fingers crossed
By Riff on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Up side: low key, helpful dealer; right size; plenty or convenience features; feels tight Down side: Badging crooked Door didn't fit Wheel bearing goes @ 1k mile