Used 2002 Mercury Sable Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

ABSOLUTELY One of the Worst Money Pits EVER!
By Rob Bost

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used with 40,000 miles on it and drove it (sometimes) for nine years. I kept it simply because I am obviously poor. When I was lucky enough to trade the POS for a Civic (Yay!), I had barely managed put 148,000 miles on it. I drive nightly through five counties to work, about 62 miles or 1.25 hrs. one way. It left me walking three times in that period. Once was a broken throttle cable in the middle of a hot summer day. The next time was an electrical problem killing the lights in the middle of the night. The third and by far the worst was a failure of the computer that kills the ABS brake system. Every single seasonal weather change causes the ECM to send error signals all over the place. One of them will kill the ABS system. I put nearly a thousand dollars in the brake system over the years. This car is the only vehicle I've had in nearly 37 years that was literally dangerous to own. The plastic headlight lenses are made of cheap non-UV protected materials. They must be polished regularly to even see at night. They are $280 for one assembly if you buy new ones. If you park this car in the sun, the interior parts will eventually disintegrate. Each door panel came apart. Electrical switches failed on locks and windows. The electric mirror controls failed and fell off of the door panel, as did all the venting and A/C control knobs. The radio has the anti-friction volume control that NEVER worked. It also had a cassette drive!? Headliners break loose and fall at will. The dash and steering mechanism makes strange creaking noises from an ill fit. If there are any good points, the 3.0 V6 has plenty of power, but needs injectors constantly because of Ethanol gas. It barely got 23 mpg on the interstate. I also replaced the ignition module, and had a bad oil leak at the distributor shaft seal. When replacing a simple serpentine belt, a pulley made of cheap plastic broke and cost me another $85 to get replaced! Thankfully, the transaxle seemed ok. The seats are fully adjustable and comfortable for most adults and great if you have a couple of kids or riders. The suspension gives a smooth and quiet ride. The 16" tires are still cheap, and that's great because the front end needs aligning every year. That's about all the good. In the end, the worst failure of all was the entire speedometer/tachometer/odometer cluster going on and off at will during cold weather. As you know, you must sign a legal liability document on the odometer mileage if you are ever lucky enough to get rid of this dose of the clap. If it goes completely out you will be stuck with nothing but a junk-valued heap that doesn't work and nobody will buy. I was so lucky to get one shiny day of sun last month. I now own two old Nissans and a 2013 Civic that are all trouble free and get great gas mileage. That's EXACTLY where my money will stay from now on.

This has been my favorite car
By pyzik

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005 after having a 1997 Sable GS. The premium came with an extra 52hp which really added some pep. The seats were comfortable but the leather was somewhat fragile (I made two small tears in the rear seat). I got tons of complements when I had this car. The exterior wasn't the greatest styling but the interior was wonderful. I ended up selling it because there was a short in the electrical system that cause multiple wires to melt together causing a complete failure in the electrical system (did not effect the drivetrain. Heater was stuck on, windows didn't work interior lights didn't work, instrument cluster didn't work. I would still be driving this car otherwise.

Comfortable. Interior styling. Mach audio system. Decent amount of power. Pretty good gas mileage. Safe.

Exterior design left something to be desired. Wish it would have had seat warmers.

It's a sad, sad day.
By rstravis

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

10 years ago, I sold Lincolns and Mercurys. So when I needed to buy a car 5 years ago I knew the Sable was a good choice, as long as I got the LS (Duratec Engine). I loved the engine, the leather, the power seat, etc., and knew that engin e was reliable. I was right. 5 years with no major problems (just a blower motor which I fixed for 50 bucks). Just paid it off 3 weeks ago, and planned to drive it to 200k (it has 108 now), but I crashed today and the car is totalled. 4 car accident, and it was smashed pretty good. I was the first to get out of my car and felt fine besides a sore neck. So that's one more reason to love my Sable. I'll miss it.

Leather, awesome engine, fun to drive, easy to control, and very safe.

More problems than I can count
By runner1

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My sister and I both bought used 2002 sables with approx 16,000 miles on them back in 2003. Since that time we both have had more problems that we can count, even though we have both kept our cars in great shape and did all the scheduled maintenance, etc. Her's is still barely running; mine bit the dust a few weeks ago. Here's a list of the problems we've had: - ticking sound from under the hood that no one can figure out. - wheels puncture from issue with wheel well. My sister had at least 4 blow outs due to this issue. - power steering issues/system breakdown. - interior faux-leather paneling on doors fell/peeled off. - SCARIEST: vehicle stalls, generally while going around 60 mph!

Comfortable ride.

See review!

I must have found the one lemon!
By Matt

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Within 6 mos. the heat started coming on when we turned on the A/C. It still does this. No one can find the problem. Sometimes the heat comes on with the system off. My wife went to start the car in the parking lot at work and the air bags deployed. Glad she wasn't driving down the highway. I'm about to buy a Subaru. Maybe the air bags will wait for an accident to work. I will contact Ford about the issue. This car must have been built slowly on Mondays so everyone else got a good one. That would be a good plan to keep the workers with hangovers busy building lemons. I'm glad to here no one else has lived our nightmare. We still owe $3,500 on it. Anyone want a Sable for parts?

It looks nice sitting at the shop parking lot. It keeps my wallet thin. It is really good if you like to sweat weight off in the summer with the heat on.

Make sure Q.A. is implemented on every vehicle. Rip all the computers out of the cars. K.I.S.S.

• SUV