2002 Mercury Sable Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
This has been my favorite car
By pyzik on 06/27/12 12:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005 after having a 1997 Sable GS. The premium came with an extra 52hp which really added some pep. The seats were comfortable but the leather was somewhat fragile (I made two small tears in the rear seat). I got tons of complements when I had this car. The exterior wasn't the greatest styling but the interior was wonderful. I ended up selling it because there was a short in the electrical system that cause multiple wires to melt together causing a complete failure in the electrical system (did not effect the drivetrain. Heater was stuck on, windows didn't work interior lights didn't work, instrument cluster didn't work. I would still be driving this car otherwise.

It's a sad, sad day.
By rstravis on 04/07/11 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

10 years ago, I sold Lincolns and Mercurys. So when I needed to buy a car 5 years ago I knew the Sable was a good choice, as long as I got the LS (Duratec Engine). I loved the engine, the leather, the power seat, etc., and knew that engin e was reliable. I was right. 5 years with no major problems (just a blower motor which I fixed for 50 bucks). Just paid it off 3 weeks ago, and planned to drive it to 200k (it has 108 now), but I crashed today and the car is totalled. 4 car accident, and it was smashed pretty good. I was the first to get out of my car and felt fine besides a sore neck. So that's one more reason to love my Sable. I'll miss it.

More problems than I can count
By runner1 on 08/05/10 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My sister and I both bought used 2002 sables with approx 16,000 miles on them back in 2003. Since that time we both have had more problems that we can count, even though we have both kept our cars in great shape and did all the scheduled maintenance, etc. Her's is still barely running; mine bit the dust a few weeks ago. Here's a list of the problems we've had: - ticking sound from under the hood that no one can figure out. - wheels puncture from issue with wheel well. My sister had at least 4 blow outs due to this issue. - power steering issues/system breakdown. - interior faux-leather paneling on doors fell/peeled off. - SCARIEST: vehicle stalls, generally while going around 60 mph!

I must have found the one lemon!
By Matt on 07/30/10 16:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Within 6 mos. the heat started coming on when we turned on the A/C. It still does this. No one can find the problem. Sometimes the heat comes on with the system off. My wife went to start the car in the parking lot at work and the air bags deployed. Glad she wasn't driving down the highway. I'm about to buy a Subaru. Maybe the air bags will wait for an accident to work. I will contact Ford about the issue. This car must have been built slowly on Mondays so everyone else got a good one. That would be a good plan to keep the workers with hangovers busy building lemons. I'm glad to here no one else has lived our nightmare. We still owe $3,500 on it. Anyone want a Sable for parts?

Still a "Head Turner"
By DBLD on 10/04/09 15:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Black with factory chrome wheels&tinted windows. Still get lots of comments on the looks of this car.I now have 110,000 mi. on my Sable and the 24v motor still runs like new! Only problems have been with rear windows (bad switches)and tie-rod ends...otherwise flawless!

Good Car
By Leslie on 09/09/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Like this car. Good things: runs great in Indiana winters, smooth ride, decent gas mileage, quiet engine, sturdy build (hit a deer 2 yrs ago and only small dent in hood), and love the power seat and pedals. Bad things: dead battery 2 weeks after purchase, water leak into blower motor during middle of winter, had to replace camshaft sensor, rough idle (so bad that "computer" had to be updated), a little sluggish, starting to notice wear and tear at near 90,000 miles. Overall, this car has run well for me, but it does feel like I'm driving a boat. This car is a trooper and I feel safe driving it.

Expected better
By Mustang Gal on 12/14/08 21:31 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I expected better from the 2002 Sable. I've owned Ford products my whole life and never had the problems I've had with this car. I purchased used with less than 55,000 miles and just turned over 80,000 miles. In the last 18 months, I had to replace the fuel pump - car let me down while I was on vacation and I had to rent a car to get to my destination! A month ago I replaced the right ball socket and head gasket. Ever since the head gasket was replaced, the heat doesn't work right - not good in the Northeast during the winter. Also, since the head gasket was replaced, the engine was making a chirping sound. From outside the vehicle, sounded like a belt slipping - it's the camshaft sensor!

Decent Ride
By Skywatcher1138 on 08/26/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I ever owned. Bought it as a used rental in late 2002. I've had it ever since. It's been a great car. No major mechanical issues, except wear & tear stuff. Had to recently replace the thermostat & the inner tie rods. The car drives well. Not the fastest on the block, but decent for a sedan. Very good gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving & usually get 24-26 mpg.

Nice car but several problems
By Glenn on 04/26/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Blower motor went out first 2 weeks,cowling seal defective allowed water to get into blower and rust. Rear spring broke into 3 pieces @ 11200 miles. Shop said this is typical, expect the other one to break also. Fuel economy is great on the road, get 30 MPG with cruse @ 62 MPH. Car has nice ride and has lots of room, would buy another.

I know I will get 300,000 miles
By Andrew on 02/18/08 15:20 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a comuter car so it needed to be reliable. Pat Goss from Auto week mentioned that the drivetrain was bulletproof now I see why. My car is at its 5th owner and starts strong every time. I would have liked to have the LS with the 200hp but with switching the air filter to a K&N and using 93 octane fuel gets me close. I actually feel it gets better performance because with the LS the power is all top end. Peak torque starts at 2500 rpm so with only slight presure on the gas she moves. For handling all I needed to do was change to lower profile tires, now it will and has out cornered BMW's.

1 2 3 4 5 next »