2002 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:
More problems than I can count
By runner1 on 08/05/10 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My sister and I both bought used 2002 sables with approx 16,000 miles on them back in 2003. Since that time we both have had more problems that we can count, even though we have both kept our cars in great shape and did all the scheduled maintenance, etc. Her's is still barely running; mine bit the dust a few weeks ago. Here's a list of the problems we've had: - ticking sound from under the hood that no one can figure out. - wheels puncture from issue with wheel well. My sister had at least 4 blow outs due to this issue. - power steering issues/system breakdown. - interior faux-leather paneling on doors fell/peeled off. - SCARIEST: vehicle stalls, generally while going around 60 mph!

Good Car
By Leslie on 09/09/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Like this car. Good things: runs great in Indiana winters, smooth ride, decent gas mileage, quiet engine, sturdy build (hit a deer 2 yrs ago and only small dent in hood), and love the power seat and pedals. Bad things: dead battery 2 weeks after purchase, water leak into blower motor during middle of winter, had to replace camshaft sensor, rough idle (so bad that "computer" had to be updated), a little sluggish, starting to notice wear and tear at near 90,000 miles. Overall, this car has run well for me, but it does feel like I'm driving a boat. This car is a trooper and I feel safe driving it.

Expected better
By Mustang Gal on 12/14/08 21:31 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I expected better from the 2002 Sable. I've owned Ford products my whole life and never had the problems I've had with this car. I purchased used with less than 55,000 miles and just turned over 80,000 miles. In the last 18 months, I had to replace the fuel pump - car let me down while I was on vacation and I had to rent a car to get to my destination! A month ago I replaced the right ball socket and head gasket. Ever since the head gasket was replaced, the heat doesn't work right - not good in the Northeast during the winter. Also, since the head gasket was replaced, the engine was making a chirping sound. From outside the vehicle, sounded like a belt slipping - it's the camshaft sensor!

Decent Ride
By Skywatcher1138 on 08/26/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I ever owned. Bought it as a used rental in late 2002. I've had it ever since. It's been a great car. No major mechanical issues, except wear & tear stuff. Had to recently replace the thermostat & the inner tie rods. The car drives well. Not the fastest on the block, but decent for a sedan. Very good gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving & usually get 24-26 mpg.

Nice car but several problems
By Glenn on 04/26/08 06:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Blower motor went out first 2 weeks,cowling seal defective allowed water to get into blower and rust. Rear spring broke into 3 pieces @ 11200 miles. Shop said this is typical, expect the other one to break also. Fuel economy is great on the road, get 30 MPG with cruse @ 62 MPH. Car has nice ride and has lots of room, would buy another.

2002 Mercury Sable
By joe765 on 08/18/07 16:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice family car. Rides comfortably. This car is nice size. 2003 Taurus is too big. We had one. Uses a lot of gasoline for a 3.0 liter.

TRIED & TRUE
By Joe Wisz Hebron, IN on 03/24/07 12:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is tried and true. You can't go wrong with it, unless the owner abused it. I previously owned a 2002 Sable LS Premium (ALL the bells and Whistles) now our family needed a second car, this was a no brainer decision for us! Ford (Mercury) is stupid for retiring it and now trying to reinvent themselves by slapping the Sable label on the Montego, which I also own. Toyota won't be retiring the Camry or Avalon name any time soon! The Montego is in a class of its own and is also an excellent vehicle. Ford's got good product and great value, forget the imports buy AMERICAN and keep your neighbors working! The Sable is a GREAT vehicle- if you get a deal buy one

Very Solid Car
By Not even Ford people on 03/12/07 07:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have a truck and a car so we normally take the car everywhere we go because it is a better ride and has better gas millage. I have no problem keeping this 02 until 2010.

whoo hoo!
By bmmbells on 12/21/06 17:47 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the interior was awesome as well as the sound system the kids love it and play in the trunk and

white stallion
By bill412 on 12/08/05 22:47 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very nice car. Rides as nicely as my old Crown Vic. Had a transmission problem that the dealer could not fix. The wiring harness was shorting out to the end plate. After 5 tries, they finally replaced it. No more problems of any kind since then. Gas mileage is great going under 75MPH: almost 30MPG on a road trip.