Used 2002 Mercury Sable GS Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

More problems than I can count
By runner1

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My sister and I both bought used 2002 sables with approx 16,000 miles on them back in 2003. Since that time we both have had more problems that we can count, even though we have both kept our cars in great shape and did all the scheduled maintenance, etc. Her's is still barely running; mine bit the dust a few weeks ago. Here's a list of the problems we've had: - ticking sound from under the hood that no one can figure out. - wheels puncture from issue with wheel well. My sister had at least 4 blow outs due to this issue. - power steering issues/system breakdown. - interior faux-leather paneling on doors fell/peeled off. - SCARIEST: vehicle stalls, generally while going around 60 mph!

Comfortable ride.

See review!

Good Car
By Leslie

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Like this car. Good things: runs great in Indiana winters, smooth ride, decent gas mileage, quiet engine, sturdy build (hit a deer 2 yrs ago and only small dent in hood), and love the power seat and pedals. Bad things: dead battery 2 weeks after purchase, water leak into blower motor during middle of winter, had to replace camshaft sensor, rough idle (so bad that "computer" had to be updated), a little sluggish, starting to notice wear and tear at near 90,000 miles. Overall, this car has run well for me, but it does feel like I'm driving a boat. This car is a trooper and I feel safe driving it.

Power driver seat and pedals, automatic dimming rear view mirror, rear and side mirror defrost, comfortable seats, spacious trunk.

Smoother acceleration, fix the common big maintenance problems (water leaking into blower motor, camshaft sensor issue), smoother/quieter idle.

Expected better
By Mustang Gal

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I expected better from the 2002 Sable. I've owned Ford products my whole life and never had the problems I've had with this car. I purchased used with less than 55,000 miles and just turned over 80,000 miles. In the last 18 months, I had to replace the fuel pump - car let me down while I was on vacation and I had to rent a car to get to my destination! A month ago I replaced the right ball socket and head gasket. Ever since the head gasket was replaced, the heat doesn't work right - not good in the Northeast during the winter. Also, since the head gasket was replaced, the engine was making a chirping sound. From outside the vehicle, sounded like a belt slipping - it's the camshaft sensor!

Everything is handy in the interior compartment.

Suggest better suspension for a smoother ride. Rides OK but I've driven Fords all my life and this one rides like my 94 Mustang. Expected better. Trunk is roomy but you can't haul anything in it. Design of deck lid prohibits carrying anything with a any bulk.

Decent Ride
By Skywatcher1138

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I ever owned. Bought it as a used rental in late 2002. I've had it ever since. It's been a great car. No major mechanical issues, except wear & tear stuff. Had to recently replace the thermostat & the inner tie rods. The car drives well. Not the fastest on the block, but decent for a sedan. Very good gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving & usually get 24-26 mpg.

All dials and gauges are easy to read and reach. Radio sounds good & easy to use. I'm tall, but this car is very comfortable for me to ride in. One of my favorite little features is the autodimming rear view mirror. Never knew such a thing existed, now I can't imagine driving without it!

I prefer the exterior on the '02 era Ford Taurus, the mechanical twin of the Sable, mainly because of the rear. The interior could use some spicing up. Materials are okay for a car of this price range, but the interior is a little bland. Nothing special about it. Could be spiced up a little

Nice car but several problems
By Glenn

2002 Mercury Sable GS 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Blower motor went out first 2 weeks,cowling seal defective allowed water to get into blower and rust. Rear spring broke into 3 pieces @ 11200 miles. Shop said this is typical, expect the other one to break also. Fuel economy is great on the road, get 30 MPG with cruse @ 62 MPH. Car has nice ride and has lots of room, would buy another.

Ride,space in trunk,looks. OTR mileage.

Better seal in cowling,do something about the spring breaking situation.