2001 Mercury Sable GS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercury Sable - Consumer Reviews

2001 Sable Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sable model:

Sort Reviews by

A Favorite!
By LS

2001 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 2 years old and I enjoy driving it everyday. wonderful interior space, comfortable seats, kids like to use the 3rd seat. Quiet, powerful, smooth ride. I'm sorry that they've discontinued this model. I'm a wagon lover. I like that it has a granny image and is not a status symbol. Makes it more of a surprise to guests.

Favorite Features

The whole family uses the keyless entry. Nice to be able to get into the car when you show up earlier than the driver.

Auto Review
By Lenny L

2001 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With both rear seats down, I find the Cargo space is comparable to 80% of the SUVs on the market. This vehicle is an excellent alternative for someone who needs cargo space but does not want to endure the harsh road handling traits of most SUVs with their poor gas mileage. Excellent performance from its Duratek V6 Engine, lots of passing power. Great road handling ability makes it a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

Traction and automatic climate controls.

Suggested Improvements

Provide more leg room for front passager.

2001 Sable
By bluesky

2001 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

24 valve engine very responsive with good gas mileage...extremely reliable thus far. Very good manufacturing detail. Only problem was a brake pedal recall.

Favorite Features

24 valve engine very responsive. Good gas mileage. Good interior appointments and comfort for the money spent.

Suggested Improvements

Door edge guard trim is in poor position...affording little protection...one of the few negatives on this vehicle; trunk space on sedans is somewhat limited.

'01 Sable Wagon
By Ira

2001 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in a '99 Taurus Wagon w/duatech v6 - never liked that car much - wallowed in corners, ride too soft. Sable flatens out corners, has respectible handling and extremely comfortable seats. Also has Duratech v6 - gas mileage about 4mpg overall better than Taurus. I think it is well worth the extra grand or so over the Taurus - much better vehicle.

Favorite Features

Consol mounted shifter - makes you feel like you're driving a real car (you know like a beemer) The tight suspension helps a lot to. The Mach Stereo is a must in this car - love Beethoven's Seventh on it.

Suggested Improvements

That nice five speed manual in the Volvo would be a welcom addition - just might make me want another one, or even the sport shift option automatic in the Volvo. I might get one anyway.

Buy it
By Hap

2001 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car! After 11,000 miles, we have not returned to the dealer once, for anything. This car is surprisingly quick and smooth and it runs on regular gas. We got every feature there is for less than the base price of a SUV. It's an incredible value and really very nice to drive. The re-design in 2000 was a necessity; we would not have purchased this car othewise.

Favorite Features

The engine, console mounted CD changer, compression button for CD player, electronic climate control, automatic headlights

Suggested Improvements

I wish all of the doors would unlock when you open the driver door. A little too much body roll for how firm a ride it is. Dated styling for rear hatchback.

Dissatification of Dealer Warranty work
By DebKlensch

2001 Mercury Sable Wagon LS Premium 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The automatic transmission failed after 25,500. The dealership has refused to repair the transmission the car was abused. The car was damaged by putting the car in neutral and dropping it into gear and spinning the tires causing bald spots. I am a 48 year old woman who has never driven hazardously. I've always kept my cars for approximately 5 years and trade them in when the milage gets to around 100K and have never experienced any major repairs warrentied or otherwise. This is the third Ford/Mercury I have owned. I intend to contact the Regional Manager.

Favorite Features

The exterior design is futureistic. The car handles much better than SUV's and Mini vans and gets better gas milage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is rather old fashioned. I preferred the interior of my 1996 Ford Taurus LX wagon.